Passports, get them ordered now

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:20 AM.
Urbandale, Iowa
1,124 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Given the hiring freeze, I would suggest that if you are thinking about ordering a passport, do it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anthomaniac

Memphis,TN
961 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
I have to do mine next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kari
Carnival - Festivale 6/81
Regency "cruiseline no longer in business" 2/91
Carnival - Destiny - Caribbean 12/02
Carnival - Destiny - Caribbean 12/03
RCCL- Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/04
RCCL- Splendor of the Seas - Mediterranean 5/05
RCCL -Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/05
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/06
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/07
Carnival - Destiny - Caribbean 3/08
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/08
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/09
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/10
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/11
Celebrity - Summit - Caribbean 12/12
RCCL - Splendour of the Seas - Greek Isles 5/13
Celebrity - Summit - Caribbean 12/13
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/14
RCCL- Jewel of the Seas - Caribbean 12/15
RCCL - Jewel of the Seas - Caribbean 12/16
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/17
Petaluma, Ca. 94954
27,806 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Speculation. If the hiring went on for years, maybe a problem. But 2 months from now, good chance the staffing would be the same, unless there was a sudden exodus.
Washington State
20,778 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
How quickly passports are processed also depends upon the time of the year. Spring and early summer seems to be the worst time since so many people will be traveling. We ordered a passport in late December and received it within two weeks.

Since passports are good for 10 years, iMO, there is no reason to wait. Get it ASAP - just to be on the safe side.
Urbandale, Iowa
1,124 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by CruiserBruce
Speculation. If the hiring went on for years, maybe a problem. But 2 months from now, good chance the staffing would be the same, unless there was a sudden exodus.
Informed deduction, actually. The US govt started requiring passports for travel in 2007, they are good for 10 years, that means that millions of passports are expiring this year. to give you an idea, in 2006 there were a little of 12 million passports issued. in 2007, there were over 18 million.

Passport services expected 16 million last year and actually received 18.6 million. Passport services expects over 20 million applications this year, and had hiring plans in place to handle the extra influx.

increased volume added to planned hiring not happening generally leads to longer processing times.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anthomaniac

Florida
352 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by Anthomaniac
Informed deduction, actually. The US govt started requiring passports for travel in 2007, they are good for 10 years, that means that millions of passports are expiring this year. to give you an idea, in 2006 there were a little of 12 million passports issued. in 2007, there were over 18 millions.
2007 was not the first year passports were required, maybe for cruise travel. Many others have had passports prior to 2007, so their's have already been renewed and have different expiration dates. Also not everyone travels often enough that they routinely renew either.
Urbandale, Iowa
1,124 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by dd likes to cruise
2007 was not the first year passports were required, maybe for cruise travel. Many others have had passports prior to 2007, so their's have already been renewed and have different expiration dates. Also not everyone travels often enough that they routinely renew either.
New regulations, scheduled to take effect Jan. 8, 2007, require passports for air and sea travel to and from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. U.S. citizens now only have to show a driver's license and birth certificate to travel in the Western hemisphere. Otherwise, officials warn, you won't be getting on that plane or cruise ship as planned.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anthomaniac

Pennsylvania
5,174 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
The good news is that even though passport applications apparently were significantly in excess of expectations (trusting your numbers since I don't independently know what the numbers are) turnaround time for passport processing was significantly shorter throughout 2016 than even the State Department generally advises. From threads here and elsewhere they have been running under three weeks when four is the normal expectation. There also wasn't a significant increase in turnaround during the normal busy months.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past:
Queen Mary 2: 7 cruises
Queen Victoria: 2 cruises
Caribbean Princess: 1 cruise
Carnival Pride: 1 cruise
Wherever there is water, a boat and the wind!
1,143 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Exactly. The hiring freeze will prevent adding more employees. The current number of employees will still be the same as yesterday, minus any retirements or quits.
Virginia
730 Posts
Joined May 2013
My son needed a new passport. We did it earlier this month. It only took about two weeks for it to come back.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

SAILED...
NCL Breakaway 11-6-2016 Port Canaveral and Nassau
NCL Pearl 8-21-2016 Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria
NCL Star 3-20-2016 Honduras, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel
RC Anthem of the Seas
11-22-2015 Port Canaveral and Nassau
Carnival Dream
8-23-2015 Honduras, Belize and Cozumel
Carnival Pride 3-29-2015 Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Freeport

NCL Getaway 8-23-2014 St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Nassau
NCL Epic 4-13-2014 Ocho Rios, Costa Maya, and Cozumel
RC Grandeur of the Seas 12-14-2013 St. Kitts, BVI, San Juan, and Labadee
Carnival Breeze 8-25-2013 Key West, Grand Turk, and Nassau
Carnival Tropicale (married on ship) 5-4-1998 Grand Cayman and Cozumel
11,143 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Heather1972
My son needed a new passport. We did it earlier this month. It only took about two weeks for it to come back.
Based on other CC posts, that has been the average turnaround time these past months. Hope it stays that way.
Ontario
2,294 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Given the hiring freeze, I would suggest that if you are thinking about ordering a passport, do it sooner rather than later.

What hiring freeze?

Informed deduction, actually. The US govt started requiring passports for travel in 2007, they are good for 10 years, that means that millions of passports are expiring this year. to give you an idea, in 2006 there were a little of 12 million passports issued. in 2007, there were over 18 million.

Passport services expected 16 million last year and actually received 18.6 million. Passport services expects over 20 million applications this year, and had hiring plans in place to handle the extra influx.

increased volume added to planned hiring not happening generally leads to longer processing times.
Oh, U.S. passports might take longer. You had me worried there for a minute, eh.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
- Saving the World 1 Byte at a Time!
Enosburg Falls, Vermont
16,374 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I have a feeling that by the time mine is ready for renewal in 2025 this will no longer be an issue.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Eastern Washington State
527 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Totally anecdotal, but I renewed my 2007 issued passport in Nov/Dec of 2016 in anticipation of an upcoming cruise. I did a mail-in renewal. Mail-in renewals are done through the Philadelphia passport processing center. Not including the mailing time, it was about 4 weeks turn around. I did Priority Mail with Signature Confirm when sending my application and docs to Philadelphia and they in turn sent the new passport and docs back through Priority Mail.

My toddler needed her first passport for the same cruise. We took her to the local county auditor for her application. The nearest passport service center is Seattle. We had her passport in 2 weeks. The only explanation I have for the shorter turn-around time on a new passport vs. a renewal is the passport service location that processed the application. Certainly the Seattle office probably is less busy than Philadelphia since Philadelphia is used as the only processing center for mail-in renewals, and the regional offices handle the local traffic along with the scheduled walk-in applications.

Depending on how you renew the process may be as little a 2 weeks or as great as 6 weeks.
Patriot Nation
4,194 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Got my FREE passport photo's today @ AAA.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

The cure for anything is salt water .
Sweat, Tears,or
The Sea !!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. ~Mark Twain

NCL Dream Bermuda June2008
NCL Dream Bermuda Oct. 2008
NCL Spirit Bermuda Sept. 2009
NCL Spirit Boston to Quebec Sept.2009
NCL Spirit Quebec to Boston Oct. 2009
NCL Spirit Bermuda June 2010
NCL Sun W. Caribbean Nov.2010
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013
NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013
NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Sept. 12 2014
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Sept. 19 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 10 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 4 2015
NCL Dawn Bermuda August 26th 2016

Do not be afraid of dying, be afraid of not living life to it's fullest !
16,451 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
I would not be surprised to see an executive order requiring passports for all people entering and leaving the US by any means.
SoCal
9,052 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by jeromep
Totally anecdotal, but I renewed my 2007 issued passport in Nov/Dec of 2016 in anticipation of an upcoming cruise. I did a mail-in renewal. Mail-in renewals are done through the Philadelphia passport processing center. Not including the mailing time, it was about 4 weeks turn around. I did Priority Mail with Signature Confirm when sending my application and docs to Philadelphia and they in turn sent the new passport and docs back through Priority Mail.

My toddler needed her first passport for the same cruise. We took her to the local county auditor for her application. The nearest passport service center is Seattle. We had her passport in 2 weeks. The only explanation I have for the shorter turn-around time on a new passport vs. a renewal is the passport service location that processed the application. Certainly the Seattle office probably is less busy than Philadelphia since Philadelphia is used as the only processing center for mail-in renewals, and the regional offices handle the local traffic along with the scheduled walk-in applications.

Depending on how you renew the process may be as little a 2 weeks or as great as 6 weeks.
We mailed in our passport renewals Jan 6. My husband's passport came Jan 23, and mine Jan 26. 2 1/2 weeks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL CarnivalPrincess Vantage
17 Cruises, 10 ships, 173 nights

Boston, MA
805 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Could happen. I know some agencies are offering incentives for older/higher paid employees to retire. I am a state employee & they have already offered 2 rounds here.

Originally posted by Heather1972
Same here. We had a oops with DSO's passport when we found his was expiring. We sweated the turnaround but took about 16 days.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USA
2,118 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
[quote=rdsxgrl28;52117270]Could happen. I know some agencies are offering incentives for older/higher paid employees to retire. I am a state employee & they have already offered 2 rounds here.

The incentive they offered last round only gave extra bonus money to people who were already retiring!
11,143 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by zqvol
I would not be surprised to see an executive order requiring passports for all people entering and leaving the US by any means.
Ditto.