Nine surprising facts about passports

TinCan782

Good to know that contrary to what some people believe, we don't need special shielded cases to protect them when closed. Some people insist that they can be read by someone with a special electronic device standing next to the owner. The built in metallic elements prevent that from happening.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Kind of sad that we have over 300 million citizens, but only 14 million with passports. That means that less than 5 percent of the population has the ability and/or desire to travel outside the country to visit Europe, Asia, etc.

Kind of sad that we have over 300 million citizens, but only 14 million with passports. That means that less than 5 percent of the population has the ability and/or desire to travel outside the country to visit Europe, Asia, etc.

The article said that 14 million were issued the the year cited. This is not the total outstanding.

Good to see the rules are the same over the pond. I have had a passport sicne I was a baby...that is the European way.

I just recently renewed my passport and found out that if you send a photo that is even slightly creased it is likely to be rejected as it has to go through a thing scanner.

Interestingly, when you send your old passport in the UK you get it back in a seperate mail with the corner chopped off so you get to keep all your country stamps. :D

Interestingly, when you send your old passport in the UK you get it back in a seperate mail with the corner chopped off so you get to keep all your country stamps. :D

In the US, the old passport also comes back. Two holes are punched into the coded information so they can't be used.

Need to think about it this way, especially comparing US to Europeans.

The U.S. is huge. Superimpose the U.S. Over Europe. Can drive thru many states in a day, especially those on the eastern seaboard. Can do the same with countries in Europe.

A few years ago there was an elderly woman who got lost while driving. They found her several countries away. In California I'd just end up in another county.

Good to know that contrary to what some people believe, we don't need special shielded cases to protect them when closed. Some people insist that they can be read by someone with a special electronic device standing next to the owner. The built in metallic elements prevent that from happening.

Thought about all those posts too!

I almost ran into the damaged passport problem on an old style passport. Older passports had a cheap plastic film on the photo page, rather than the heavy duty lamination they now have. The plastic on the old one had started to come off. I was warned by a U.S. Immigration officer upon a inbound return to get a new one...thankfully, it made through the outbound countries, or we would have missed a trip.

So if my passport is due to expire in 6 months after my cruise, do I need a new one prior before cruise?

In most cases, you will need 6 months from the date your trip ends, not six months from the date your trip starts. However, some countries require only 3 months, and a very few only one month. Best to check with the cruise line and the countries you plan to visit on your own.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Need to think about it this way, especially comparing US to Europeans.

The U.S. is huge. Superimpose the U.S. Over Europe. Can drive thru many states in a day, especially those on the eastern seaboard. Can do the same with countries in Europe.

A few years ago there was an elderly woman who got lost while driving. They found her several countries away. In California I'd just end up in another county.

There is so much to see in the US, with many varied climates and geological features that many residents of the US don't even have enough time to experience all the different types of places in their own country, much less other places in the world. California, for instance, is over 800 miles long. It takes almost two hours to fly from one end to the other. Driving from most northerly spot on the east coast to the most southerly spot of west coast will take 48 hours.

Here is a graphic that shows the size comparison quite well.

9cb3e9548eab8518d80e2974a27170ba.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

My guess would be the major reason for the increase in passports is twofold, more well off baby boomers are traveling and the WHTI which requires everyone, including Americans, to have a passport (or other WHTI approved document) to enter the US. In the case of Canada and the US, each country recognizes one an others passport up to the date of expiry.

U.S. Passports Issued per Fiscal Year (1996 - 2014)

Fiscal Year

U.S. Passports Issued

2014 14,087,341 (includes 1,463,191 passport cards)

2013 13,529,757 (includes 1,408,865 passport cards)

2012 13,125,829 (includes 1,300,145 passport cards)

2011 12,613,153 (includes 1,173,092 passport cards)

2010 14,794,604 (includes 1,556,392 passport cards)

2009 14,170,171 (includes 1,544,718 passport cards)

2008 16,132,536 (includes 189,560 passport cards)

2007 18,382,798

2006 12,133,537

2005 10,123,424

2004 8,825,410

2003 7,300,667

2002 7,001,482

2001 7,119,506

2000 7,292,182

1999 6,722,198

1998 6,539,864

1997 6,295,003

1996 5,547,693

Our citizens can be our best diplomats by showing the world who we really are, but we have to leave our own country first. According to the State Department, there are 113,431,943 valid passports in circulation, which means 36% of Americans own a valid passport (and therefore 64% do not).

U.S. Passports Issued per Fiscal Year (1996 - 2014)

Fiscal Year

U.S. Passports Issued

2014 14,087,341 (includes 1,463,191 passport cards)

2013 13,529,757 (includes 1,408,865 passport cards)

2012 13,125,829 (includes 1,300,145 passport cards)

2011 12,613,153 (includes 1,173,092 passport cards)

2010 14,794,604 (includes 1,556,392 passport cards)

2009 14,170,171 (includes 1,544,718 passport cards)

2008 16,132,536 (includes 189,560 passport cards)

2007 18,382,798

2006 12,133,537

2005 10,123,424

2004 8,825,410

2003 7,300,667

2002 7,001,482

2001 7,119,506

2000 7,292,182

1999 6,722,198

1998 6,539,864

1997 6,295,003

1996 5,547,693

Our citizens can be our best diplomats by showing the world who we really are, but we have to leave our own country first. According to the State Department, there are 113,431,943 valid passports in circulation, which means 36% of Americans own a valid passport (and therefore 64% do not).

My guess would be the major reason for the increase in passports is twofold, more well off baby boomers are traveling and the WHTI which requires everyone, including Americans, to have a passport (or other WHTI approved document) to enter the US. In the case of Canada and the US, each country recognizes one an others passport up to the date of expiry.

Covering the time span for the statistics above, many of the passports issued are renewals, not new travelers. Since passports have to be renewed every ten years, there will always be renewals each year. I've had a passport for over 45 years, requiring four renewals during that time span to keep it active.

Edited by SantaFeFan

In the US, the old passport also comes back. Two holes are punched into the coded information so they can't be used.

In U.S., the old passport is also returned by separate mailing..... it is not mailed with the newly renewed passport book.

Covering the time span for the statistics above, many of the passports issued are renewals, not new travelers. Since passports have to be renewed every ten years, there will always be renewals each year. I've had a passport for over 45 years, requiring four renewals during that time span to keep it active.

Also keep in mind many of those valid passports that are still 'out there' were held by people now deceased. Passport office may not be up to date on removing those from active records.

In U.S., the old passport is also returned by separate mailing..... it is not mailed with the newly renewed passport book.

Also keep in mind many of those valid passports that are still 'out there' were held by people now deceased. Passport office may not be up to date on removing those from active records.

That's a good point. When my mother died, it never crossed my mind to report that to the passport office. Her passport still had about four years to go at the time. I didn't destroy it either. I just kept it.

Interesting, but not particularly newsworthy.

One thing that makes no sense: How do the passport people know whether your picture was made within the last six months or not?

I'm with those who are concerned about identity theft.

At this moment the passport people may have the upper hand, but hackers can and will defeat whatever security they have -- it's like a game they play: something stronger comes out, and they mess with it 'til they defeat it, then something stronger yet comes out ... At some point the hackers will gain the upper hand again, and none of us know when that will be. However, I also wouldn't put much stock in a protective case.

There is so much to see in the US, with many varied climates and geological features that many residents of the US don't even have enough time to experience all the different types of places in their own country, much less other places in the world. California, for instance, is over 800 miles long. It takes almost two hours to fly from one end to the other. Driving from most northerly spot on the east coast to the most southerly spot of west coast will take 48 hours.

Here is a graphic that shows the size comparison quite well.

9cb3e9548eab8518d80e2974a27170ba.jpg

Yes, I think the people who complain about Americans not buying passports don't stop to realize just how much is accessible to us without spending $100+ on a passport. You can't compare us to Europe, where their countries are the size of our states.
That's a good point. When my mother died, it never crossed my mind to report that to the passport office. Her passport still had about four years to go at the time. I didn't destroy it either. I just kept it.
You really should report her death to the passport office. Dead people are perfect identity theft victims -- they're not quick to pick up on the crime!

Seriously, though, now that both our children are adults, my husband and I have been working on a project for them: We've put together a notebook of information for them to read after our deaths. Of course, they're not likely to use it for many years, but the notebook lists the all our accounts, investments, insurance policies, etc. along with contact information, passwords, and specifics on exactly how to access all "our stuff". It also includes a list of things they should do to officially "cancel us" out of society -- and, yes, social security numbers, passports and driver's licenses should be cancelled.

Edited by MrsPete