Traveling with 15 month old

lbfluffy

My friends decided to join us. She has a 15 month old. We are going on the Ruby to Mexico. I'm assuming they don't have a club for that age. But do they have to get a room for 3? And also they have high chairs in the dining room?

Thanks. This will be an experience

Yes,they'll need a triple. They're not buying s berth but rather a seat in the lifeboat. We've seen high chairs on all our cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on the Ruby in April, with my sister and her 24-month-old son. Children under 3-years-old can go to the kids center, but only with a parent or guardian in attendance.

Because of the baby, we got traditional dining, early seating. Our waiter had the high chair ready and waiting for us every night. To keep my nephew occupied, my sister brought a box of fruit loops from the breakfast buffet and asked our waiter for some straws. My nephew had a great time threading the fruit loops on to the straw. It really kept him occupied while we ate.

If you decide to do the buffet, the high chairs are available there too.

Another suggestion, have the room steward push the beds up against the wall and put the nightstands on the other side. When it was time for a nap, my sister put the baby next to the wall, with her on the other side, so he wouldn't fall out.

My friends decided to join us. She has a 15 month old. We are going on the Ruby to Mexico. I'm assuming they don't have a club for that age. But do they have to get a room for 3? And also they have high chairs in the dining room?

Thanks. This will be an experience

Yes a body is a body regardless of age and its counted as a passenger and berthed accordingly.

Yes to high chairs everywhere. If you do anytime dining, they will hurry and get you one, but traditional is easier with a young child because your serving team gets used to what you want/need.

Yes, any human who breathes air pays for a passage--they need a triple. They will arrange an appropriate sized flotation suit for the muster drill and to keep in the room. Your steward will see to it.

They can use the child facilities with a parent. They cannot use the pools until fully toilet trained.

Interesting thread. We will be going to Alaska next June. Travelling with us will be our son, daughter-in-law, and grand daughter, who will be 18 months old when we sail.

The only part of the trip that I'm concerned about is the 5 hour plane trip, each way. We'll take things along to keep her as entertained as possible during the flight. It's the take off and landing that concerns me. That does a number on my ears at my age. I've used ear plugs, which help quite a bit. We may need a set for the little one also.

Been there, done that... That age range was probably the most difficult time to cruise with our kids, but it's doable and you can still have a great trip. The parents will have to have to go into with realistic expectations of what they will be able to do.

Diapers, high chairs, cribs, nap time, sitting through long meal, etc. - plus they are walking and into everything, lol. Have fun!

Princess has pack n' play "cribs" available, but make their TA reserves one for them, or call Princess if they booked directly.

Yes, as everyone else has said they will have to pay the 3rd person rate and get a cabin that can accommodate 3. Some lines have really reduced 3rd person rates for under 2 year olds, but unfortunately not Princess in our experience.

High chairs in the dining room will be no problem, especially with traditional dining they will have it there and waiting. The buffet can be more challenging... not easy trying to wrangle a toddler, cary your food through the buffet, look for an open table, and try to find a high chair stashed in some corner. Make sure to ask for help, the waiters are almost always great with kids!

Interesting thread. We will be going to Alaska next June. Travelling with us will be our son, daughter-in-law, and grand daughter, who will be 18 months old when we sail.

The only part of the trip that I'm concerned about is the 5 hour plane trip, each way. We'll take things along to keep her as entertained as possible during the flight. It's the take off and landing that concerns me. That does a number on my ears at my age. I've used ear plugs, which help quite a bit. We may need a set for the little one also.

I've flown with my infant son twice and the take off and landings don't seem to bother him. Is this the babies first flight? Fortunately, my son slept most of both flights so maybe the 18 month old will do the same.

I have to take Sudafed before and during ANY flight, because my ears cause me a great deal of PAIN...not merely discomfort!...while flying!! If the baby has ear issues, talk to the pediatrician for some sort of decongestant....and if the child is still on a bottle, that's the time to give them one...take off and landings. It helps keeping them swallowing and helps with the ear thing.

I just traveled on the Coral Northbound 7 Day with my daughter who turned 1 the day before the cruise. They have very nice high chairs everywhere and the staff is absolutely amazing with the babies. We did anytime dining because my daughter isn't really scheduled and the waiters offered to hold her so we could eat in peace (we did not take them up on this offer, but that is how great they are). We always asked for some extra spoons for her to play with, both in the MDR and the buffet.

The ship was perfect for her to run around and she especially loved the entertainment staff and bands.

We ordered a pack n play and it worked well. I would recommend bringing your own sheets, especially if the baby has sensitive skin. My daughter broke out in a rash the 2nd day and I'm sure it was from the sheet (laundry detergent). I swapped the sheet and it went away.

In terms of flying, we have taken my daughter on the plane with us since she was 2 months old so she's a pro. I give her a bottle when the plane starts taxiing so she can feel the movement and the bottle puts her to sleep. She cries before then because she doesn't want to be confined, but I figure for the 10 min. before the plane starts moving is better than the entire flight for everyone around us. We also took a connecting flight purposely for Alaska from Texas. This way each leg was shorter and gave her a break so she could run around the airport. It definitely tired her out for the flight, but if it's under 4 hours I would just get a direct flight.

Also, you should be aware you can arrange for free baby food if needed.

I just thought of something that might be of interest to your friend. When the ship stops in PV, there's a huge Walmart within walking distance of the pier. Your friend can re-stock the diapers, baby food, etc., while in port, so she won't have to bring as much stuff with her.

I just thought of something that might be of interest to your friend. When the ship stops in PV, there's a huge Walmart within walking distance of the pier. Your friend can re-stock the diapers, baby food, etc., while in port, so she won't have to bring as much stuff with her.

Sometimes a scheduled port has to be cancelled.

I would bring enough supplies with me to last the entire cruise.

My grandson just completed his third flight trip by the time he hit 13 months. Someone else had suggested a small blow up swimming pool for the shower. My son-in-law found a blow up baby bath tub (Amazon) and it worked everywhere they went (even with a tub).

• 1 year later...
My grandson just completed his third flight trip by the time he hit 13 months. Someone else had suggested a small blow up swimming pool for the shower. My son-in-law found a blow up baby bath tub (Amazon) and it worked everywhere they went (even with a tub).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have baby food in the MDR and will try to accommodate you any way they can.

It is my understanding that this is true only if you have requested it in advance of the cruise.

Do you know for sure they do stock it even if there had been no request made?