Per Celebrity -- Can't join cruise in Bermuda

marti2282

My husband and I and our son and his wife have two suites booked on the Jun 5 Summit sailing. We found out yesterday, that our son has a business obligation that may make him miss the sailing.

I called celebrity and asked what we needed to do to be sure he and his wife can board in Bermuda, and was told it is not allowed because it is a closed loop sailing.

I don't understand.

Edited by marti2282

It is possible that Celebrity policy may have changed but in 2013 my son's family had a similar situation. His daughter had a must-do party and was unable to embark with us. My son was able to arrange with Celebrity for his wife and daughter to join him and us on the Summit in Bermuda. See if your T/A can arrange it.

I would talk to someone else at Celebrity, perhaps Captain's Club.

90% of cruises are closed loop, and this is no different, IMHO, than if they were late for the cruise and had to go on ahead to catch the ship at the next port. Happens all the time.

Try a different Customer Service Rep.

This was not the case for us in 2012 on Royal Caribbean. There were 16 of us sailing to the Caribbean departing and returning to Port Canaveral which, I am assuming is closed loop. Four days before the cruise we had to make arrangements for my daughter-in-law and grandson (both are US citizens with passports) to meet the ship in St. Thomas. Contacted my TA who called RCI and explained the situation. RCI made all the necessary boarding changes, contacted the port agent in St. Thomas and my son and their other two children met them at the pier when we docked. They boarded the ship, changed into bathing suits and all 14 aunts, uncles and cousins went to the beach.

I was going to add to call and ask the question if someone in your party does not make it to the port, and misses the sail away, what can they do about joining the ship at the first port? Then be quiet, listen, don't volunteer info until possibly asked.

In theCelebity website FAQ there's a section about joining the ship late and instructions about how to apply for the downline embarkation. Follow those instructions and you will be getting to people who know more about it that the general phone operators, who never even know the difference between the Jones Act and the PVSA

Just off the phone with Celebrity again. I've spoken with the emergency travel team twice and Captains Club twice. Second call to Captains Club the rep called the emergency travel team also.

It isn't the PVSA we are violating, it is a US Customs and Border Patrol policy.

There is nothing that they can do for us. No boarding in Bermuda even if they check in on embarkation day and get off and "miss" the boat or if they just "miss the boat." No changing to a different week. Can't give the room to two new people. My son's wife can travel and assign my son's reservation to a friend or relative, but other than that, nothing.

My son is so torn and feels terrible. He is a theatrical sound designer, and yesterday the nominees for the 2016 Drama Desk awards were announced (by Matthew Morrison and Vennesa Williams). He received a nomination for his work and we are all over the moon proud. In the New York theatre community, it's prestigious and means a lot for his career. The awards ceremony is on our embarkation day. Even if he doesn't win, the ceremony and the after party are important. So many contacts. Andrew Lloyd Webber, Jessica Lange and Steve Martin are fellow nominees.

I was going to add to call and ask the question if someone in your party does not make it to the port, and misses the sail away, what can they do about joining the ship at the first port? Then be quiet, listen, don't volunteer info until possibly asked.

I'll try this tomorrow. Just over it for today. So strange that something that makes us so happy, can make us so sad.

Just off the phone with Celebrity again. I've spoken with the emergency travel team twice and Captains Club twice. Second call to Captains Club the rep called the emergency travel team also.

It isn't the PVSA we are violating, it is a US Customs and Border Patrol policy.

There is nothing that they can do for us. No boarding in Bermuda even if they check in on embarkation day and get off and "miss" the boat or if they just "miss the boat." No changing to a different week. Can't give the room to two new people. My son's wife can travel and assign my son's reservation to a friend or relative, but other than that, nothing.

Sorry about your disappointment.

There was a similar thread a couple of years ago.

Apparently downline boarding had been allowed previously, but then they changed the rules.

(See the explanation given at that time, below.)

But you have nothing to lose by submitting the form and at least trying.

"THE FOLLOWING PASSENGER MOVEMENT IS DENIED.

This movement will result in a violation of our ship's Closed Loop Status. As per US Customs and Border Protection, in order to protect our ship's closed loop voyage status and prevent all United States Citizens from having to undergo a full immigration check after the voyage ends, we cannot allow guests to preplan late embark at any US or Foreign port to return to the original US port from which the ship departed. The terms of the cruise ticket contract apply."

Preapproval Downline Request?

There is nothing that they can do for us.... My son's wife can travel and assign my son's reservation to a friend or relative, but other than that, nothing.

I'm so sorry that the family vacation that was planned will not be all you had hoped for. That happened with us a few months back; we had a family vacation planned and our son was knee-deep in university commitments and honors program and thesis... he simply could not get away. We still went but of course, it wasn't the same as we had initially planned.

I hope you will still go and enjoy yourselves. Best laid plans and all, and sometimes life gets in the way. :o

Best to you.

Sorry about your disappointment.

There was a similar thread a couple of years ago.

Apparently downline boarding had been allowed previously, but then they changed the rules.

(See the explanation given at that time, below.)

But you have nothing to lose by submitting the form and at least trying.

"THE FOLLOWING PASSENGER MOVEMENT IS DENIED.

This movement will result in a violation of our ship's Closed Loop Status. As per US Customs and Border Protection, in order to protect our ship's closed loop voyage status and prevent all United States Citizens from having to undergo a full immigration check after the voyage ends, we cannot allow guests to preplan late embark at any US or Foreign port to return to the original US port from which the ship departed. The terms of the cruise ticket contract apply."

Preapproval Downline Request?

We got this exact message last night via email. It looks as if there is nothing more we can do.

I'm so sorry that the family vacation that was planned will not be all you had hoped for. That happened with us a few months back; we had a family vacation planned and our son was knee-deep in university commitments and honors program and thesis... he simply could not get away. We still went but of course, it wasn't the same as we had initially planned.

I hope you will still go and enjoy yourselves. Best laid plans and all, and sometimes life gets in the way. :o

Best to you.

Thank you. Life does get in the way!

We will go, and as always, will have a wonderful time. We just wanted so very much to share this experience with them.

Edited by marti2282

prevent all United States Citizens from having to undergo a full immigration check after the voyage ends, we cannot allow guests to preplan late embark at any US or Foreign port to return to the original US port from which the ship departed.

Maybe it's too late in your case, but I think the most important word in that explanation is "PREPLAN"

I think you have something there, because I know that the ships are still allowing delayed passengers to hop on the ship in other ports. Not another U.S. port, however, such as missing the ship in Miami, and then trying to board in Key West.

One problem that I see with the OP's son trying this trick is that Celebrity may have notes/alerts on her calls. Son could be denied boarding if he just showed up. :(

Hey, at least he could spend the time in Bermuda with his family on land (assuming the ship will be docked for a couple of days there?) He stays in a hotel for a few days and gets a vacation.

PS - I would just let your son be a "no show" when embarking on the cruise.

Edited by Iamthesea

...One problem that I see with the OP's son trying this trick is that Celebrity may have notes/alerts on her calls. Son could be denied boarding if he just showed up. :(

That's why I said, "maybe too late in this case".

I'm not sure what I would do in similar situation.

Good luck to OP, and have a great cruise no matter what route you take.