Are Cruises Dangerous?

Panda014

I feel some were cruel to OP. I believe she asked an honest and sincere question from her heart, and that her fear and nerves are in the foreground. Some of you did nothing to help her. Shame. :(

OP, I agree with those who tried to help and said that you just need to be aware and make smart decisions, just like you would in your home town or on any vacation anywhere. A cruise is a wonderful vacation BUT it is not for everyone. Maybe try a short one to get your feet wet, so to speak? :)

Life is dangerous! If you're getting in a plane to fly to the port, that's more dangerous. But wait.. if you're getting in a car to go to the airport, that's even more dangerous. But there's more... the very worst thing of all? Stepping outside your house. It's a scary world out there.

There is nothing inherently dangerous about cruising. There is a medical center and doctor on board. Medical emergencies are taken very seriously, with helicopter evac to the nearest hospital if necessary. Ships will change course if required for medical reasons. People overboard is extremely rare but like anything accidents can and when they do - they are taken seriously. Just apply some common sense, don't drink a bottle of vodka and try to dance on the railings :cool: If you are worried about the ports, there will be cruise-official excursions in every port where you will be accompanied by an experienced tour guide, so you don't have to wander alone if you're worried about crime in a different country. If you're worried about a "titanic" scenario, captains and crew are very experienced, they have advanced radar and communications, but still, an accident could happen - it's extremely rare though, and modern ships are equipped with rigid lifeboats, and you will get a safety drill before setting off that explains how to use your life jacket and how to get to your safety boat should the 1 in a billion accident occur.

Enjoy your cruise. You will be fine... except of course that you'll want to book another as soon as you get home :)

Edited by Cruise_Christy

Biggest dangers are addiction and weight gain.
Your wallet may be a little lighter from all those great excursions and ship services (photos? speciality restaurants?).

there are no rehab facilities for cruise addicts. the struggle is real.
I'm a huge convert.... after snorting so much pixie dust....

• compared to road trips in my car.... it's cheaper for me to travel in an oceanview or inside cabin than to drive/fly along the coast.
  • lots of ship activities to keep me entertain
  • great views

I did a lot of research and surprised I hadn't booked a cruise yet but is was mostly because I wasn't sure about going alone. Then I convinced someone to go with me but she mentioned going alone or cruises in general can be dangerous...I was a little shocked. I did so much research how could I have missed that! So are cruises dangerous? Some destinations? Some cruise lines? Or are we being paranoid?

Getting out of bed is dangerous.

Drinking water is dangerous.

Life itself is dangerous. Cruising is one of the safest forms of travel there is, just use some common sense about not inviting strangers into your cabin and pay attention when you're in port. Otherwise, the largest threat is weight gain and spending more than you planned to.

Go and have fun! (ps, I'm a woman who often travels solo because I get tired of waiting for people willing to go with me. I've never had any trouble.)

Edited by Bizmark'sMom

If I was single, I'd cruise alone with no issue. Life is too short to miss out on the good things. After I retired from the Navy and met my husband, who is still active duty, I was alone a lot due to deployments. I didn't stop doing the things I wanted to do. I made friends everywhere. Snorkeling on Maui, theater performances, trips here and there....you name it. I just struck up conversations with the people sitting around me.

Maybe try a smaller cruise ship where you won't be a tiny fish in a huge pond where you might be able to make some friends to hang out with. Maybe consider a river cruise. Avalon is waiving the single supplements on some of their river cruises in Europe right now. Less that 180 on a boat, and smaller group tours, etc.

I just feel uncomfortable sharing a room with someone I don't know.

Some ships have cabins designed for singles that are cheaper than staying in a regular stateroom designed for two. Some of them are the Norwegian Breakaway, Getaway and Epic and the Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas.

Some ships have cabins designed for singles that are cheaper than staying in a regular stateroom designed for two. Some of them are the Norwegian Breakaway, Getaway and Epic and the Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas and Anthem of the Seas.

Holland America's newbuild Koningsdam also has some single cabins. (Back in the day (30-40 years ago most cruise ships had singles tucked away in odd locations to maximize revenues. The newer ships since then are normally built with standardized cabin modules so singles became obsolete.

However the current efforts of most major lines is to maximize revenues by building larger ships and to respond to customer demand for more accessible (handicap) cabins in all categories as well as, more recently, single cabins rather than requiring the very unpopular single supplements.

I did a lot of research and surprised I hadn't booked a cruise yet but is was mostly because I wasn't sure about going alone. Then I convinced someone to go with me but she mentioned going alone or cruises in general can be dangerous...I was a little shocked. I did so much research how could I have missed that! So are cruises dangerous? Some destinations? Some cruise lines? Or are we being paranoid?

It took me literally years to convince my husband to go on a cruise. His reasoning? He had seen Titanic too many times. Once I convinced him that we would only cruise in warm weather (no iceburgs), he was convinced we would be lost in the Bermuda triangle. Our first cruise? The Bahamas. Having a bad sense of humor, DH started saying we would be lost in the "Bahaman" triangle :)

Go. Have fun. Be safe.

Wow thanks, I go away for a weekend come back and have more answers than I know what to do with. I was talking more about crime (sense some of you asked). I got over the whole sinking idea sense I can swim and thought if it ever occurred I would then be able to reenact my own titanic and save jack :p but anyways all of your comments were helpful. I read a lot about how safe cruises are and they seem to be one of the safest if not the safest ways to travel. I hadn't seen anything about them being dangerous but you know how you get something in your head and cant seem to get it out unless someone forces it out for you. So thanks all I am no longer worried!

Wow thanks, I go away for a weekend come back and have more answers than I know what to do with. I was talking more about crime (sense some of you asked). I got over the whole sinking idea sense I can swim and thought if it ever occurred I would then be able to reenact my own titanic and save jack :p but anyways all of your comments were helpful. I read a lot about how safe cruises are and they seem to be one of the safest if not the safest ways to travel. I hadn't seen anything about them being dangerous but you know how you get something in your head and cant seem to get it out unless someone forces it out for you. So thanks all I am no longer worried!

Glad to see you're not too worried anymore :) Crime on the ships themselves is extremely unlikely, but at busy ports, there are of course always opportunists - usually mostly just pickpockets and things like taxis that give you a ridiculous fare, just the usual petty tourist crime. If worried you can always just go on the cruise excursions, but most of it is avoidable by just taking precautions (don't keep money in pockets, don't keep valuables in easily snatched bags, always ask the fare before getting in a taxi and confirm that they're an official licensed taxi driver, etc). Things that are fairly common sense worldwide really.

Thanks for coming back and clarifying your original post for us. We've cruised (mostly on RC and X) for many years, and I think cruising is very safe. However, one of the most important things you can pack is your common sense. Lock (and dead-bolt) your cabin door -- just like you would in a hotel on land. Don't give out your cabin number to strangers, etc. In an unfamiliar port, stay on the "beaten track" -- preferably in a group. Be aware of your surroundings, and you should be fine. Happy cruising! :cool:

I just feel uncomfortable sharing a room with someone I don't know.

Weren't we talking about safety? ?

Lol...which was why some of us wondered why you thought you would be concerned about sharing a cabin with a stranger? Who would do that. I assume you would share a cabin with a member of your family or with a friend you planned to travel with.

Sorry your comment confused me [emoji4]

Lol...which was why some of us wondered why you thought you would be concerned about sharing a cabin with a stranger? Who would do that. I assume you would share a cabin with a member of your family or with a friend you planned to travel with.

Sorry your comment confused me [emoji4]

Well not all ship have single rooms, this is my first cruise so sorry for making you confused. Really I would say you were rude not knowing anything about me So don't assume anything about me.

Well not all ship have single rooms, this is my first cruise so sorry for making you confused. Really I would say you were rude not knowing anything about me So don't assume anything about me.

I am so sorry I never intended to be rude or upset you. Cabin sharing on cruise ships today is not done. Cruise ship decades ago did have a system to match cabin mates but that is a thing of the distant past. Once again you would never share a cabin with a stranger. If traveling alone, you would occupy a cabin for 2 all by yourself (and many times pay double for the privledge) or as you noted hope to find a ship with "Single" occupancy cabins which you noted is not often available.

I apologize for upsetting you. I'm sure you will have a fabulous cruise! Safe Travels

Edited by JVilleGal

I've never thought so. :D