Are Cruises Dangerous?

Panda014

I did a lot of research and surprised I hadn't booked a cruise yet but is was mostly because I wasn't sure about going alone. Then I convinced someone to go with me but she mentioned going alone or cruises in general can be dangerous...I was a little shocked. I did so much research how could I have missed that! So are cruises dangerous? Some destinations? Some cruise lines? Or are we being paranoid?

Edited by Panda014

Cruises are not dangerous. Common sense should prevail no matter where you are or what you are doing. But given the 20 million+ passengers that cruise globally each year, the on board security and experience is excellent with a very good personal safety record. Certainly nothing in my experience over 23 years of cruising to raise any degree of concern.

Certain ports of call may have areas typically away from where you would dock or go on excursions that may be less safe than others. But many ports of call rely on tourism for their economy and any issues with passenger safety would have the cruise lines dropping them from their itineraries very quickly.

Go and enjoy!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Perspective...its all in the perspective of the person who makes the comment.

Riding in a vehicle (in the US) is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Yet most of us do it, if not daily, frequently.

This is also an area where the media stirs a frenzy with any hiccup made by a cruise line, airline, railroad or other unusual happening. It is blown WAY out of proportion and prejudices those who don't do their own research.

Then there are the lawyers....there are a couple who are regularly quoted here on CC who are "ambulance chasers". Hence their information is deliberately slanted to further their own business interests.

If cruising were truly dangerous, the ships would sail empty and then would stop sailing. Cruise lines would have no earnings and the industry would die.

Edited by thinfool

no more dangerous than any other solo travel.

you need to of course do you own unbiased independent research as to the ports of call of course. there are a few ports where it is highly discouraged to leave the general area of the cruise lines have built up on their own( such as Jamaica) or to do only ship sponsored excursions.

Ask here and you are going to be told a resounding "NO"

Ask at certain lawsuit sites and you are going to be told a resounding "YES"

The funny thing is both sites want you to go on cruises, just for very different reasons.

Going on a cruise, the actual ship part, is no more dangerous than sitting at home. The ports of call can pose a danger, if you start flashing hundreds of dollars in cash you are going to be a target, the same could be said for going to Disney Land. If you start wandering off onto the less beaten paths at the destinations your danger is going to increase, the same could be said for any major American city, there are bad neighborhoods all round the world.

So there is my resounding "NO"

I've taken over 15 cruises by myself, and would not sail as a solo female if it was dangerous. Driving on an interstate in Nashville is much more dangerous than taking a cruise. Take the normal precautions you would if you traveling on land - lock cabin door, put valuables in safe, be aware of your surroundings, don't drink to the point of intoxication, etc.

Roz

I did a lot of research and surprised I hadn't booked a cruise yet but is was mostly because I wasn't sure about going alone. Then I convinced someone to go with me but she mentioned going alone or cruises in general can be dangerous...I was a little shocked. I did so much research how could I have missed that! So are cruises dangerous? Some destinations? Some cruise lines? Or are we being paranoid?

Paranoid would be my guess . Cars are dangerous, do you drive one? Cruises are safe :)

Edited by joie1016

Someone on FB posted a video of a cruise ship tossing in high seas. It might have been the Clelia II (lost an engine, crossing the convergence of two oceans in Antarctic waters, heavy seas, 55 mph winds). So many people responded that they will definitely NEVER EVER cruise because it's so DANGEROUS. (If interested there is a youtube video of the Clelia II)

I just mentally shrugged and returned to my packing list for our next cruise. :)

Someone on FB posted a video of a cruise ship tossing in high seas. It might have been the Clelia II (lost an engine, crossing the convergence of two oceans in Antarctic waters, heavy seas, 55 mph winds). So many people responded that they will definitely NEVER EVER cruise because it's so DANGEROUS. (If interested there is a youtube video of the Clelia II)

I just mentally shrugged and returned to my packing list for our next cruise. :)

Familiar with the video. And it was in rather unique circumstances as you describe, not to mention it is a smaller specialty cruise vessel in a very unusual sea location during adverse conditions. Not your typical Caribbean cruise!

Oh and by the way, it did not sink and all on board are still here to tell their story.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

There's always a risk of bad weather. Here's video from a 2014 cruise on Grandeur of the Seas, a ship which I'll be going on in 3 weeks. I'm aware that there's a chance I might experience similar weather but I'm not deterred.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=grandeur+of+the+seas+rough&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=0440C4948A8DBAE7D89E0440C4948A8DBAE7D89E

Perspective...its all in the perspective of the person who makes the comment.

Riding in a vehicle (in the US) is one of the most dangerous things you can do. Yet most of us do it, if not daily, frequently.

This is also an area where the media stirs a frenzy with any hiccup made by a cruise line, airline, railroad or other unusual happening. It is blown WAY out of proportion and prejudices those who don't do their own research.

Then there are the lawyers....there are a couple who are regularly quoted here on CC who are "ambulance chasers". Hence their information is deliberately slanted to further their own business interests.

If cruising were truly dangerous, the ships would sail empty and then would stop sailing. Cruise lines would have no earnings and the industry would die.

Absolutely perfectly stated!

Panda014, I suggest you ask your friend what she bases her statements on. Has she ever been on a cruise? In what way are they dangerous? Yes, you might fall in love with cruising and develop an addiction, or you may run up a surprisingly large bar bill, or you might find that your clothes don't fit you quite as well on the last day as they did on the first from all the food you decided to try, but dangerous? I don't think so.

We have cruised with several single ladies at our dinner tables and they all have said that the reason they cruise is so they can feel safe on a vacation by themselves. You should exercise the same amount of caution as if you were staying in a hotel by yourself by not inviting strangers to your cabin, nor going into others; monitoring your alcohol consumption so that you are not putting yourself into a position where you can be taken advantage of, etc.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Oh my god don't go they are lawless free for alls just stay home:eek:

There is serious risk of drowning if you jump over the side while underway -but then you could get seriously hurt if you jumped out of a window on a high floor in a building in your home town.

There are risks of going into dangerous neighborhoods at ports of call - but then there are dangerous neighborhood near where everyone lives.

Yes, it is better to stay in your one story house.

Did your friend tell you in what way cruises are dangerous? I've been on more than 20 cruises on various cruise lines and cruise ships in a variety of ports on six continents and have never experienced danger.

Does your friend think a ship is dangerous, or the ocean, or the ports???