Adonia to leave P&O

MattyBarlow

Interesting debate on the Carnival thread. What a load of new age tosh. Young Eco warriors sailing to save the third world on a luxury cruise ship. Will P & O bother to fill the gap in their market for a small ship?

Edited by philsuarez

I just can't see where the demand would come from? Maybe one offs but not weekly? Would be better if they just offered once a month cruises for the orphans and under-privileged on the island with volunteers to help facilitate onboard events, teaching for adults etc before returning to the DR

Have you seen the price of the cruises, from $230 a day :eek:

"Pricing, which includes all volunteer excursions, training, related supplies, taxes, fees and port expenses, begins at $230 per person per night for a cabin with a window, so a weeklong cruise for two will cost $3,220. Passengers who wish to have upgraded cabins (balcony cabins or suites) will pay more, while those who want inside cabins will pay less. To book, passengers will have to pay a $300 deposit. Cruise itineraries go on sale this month. Gratuities and alcohol will not be included. "

Edited by CCFC

Who is going to want to fly to Miami for a week, at least from the UK! Will only suit fit and healthy pax and they don't like Adonia!

Clearly this has little to do with P&O and all to do with Carnival. Clearly will be marketed as a separate entity and nothing to do with P&O Or cruisers from the UK.

P&O should convert all of it's ships to such a ventures. The British government could then close down it's Department for International Development (Dfid) and save about £11 billion.

Are there so many nutty Americans to fill the Adonia (sorry MS Fathom)? The nuts will be working at Amber Cove Domrep, Carnivals new private port. Why not Haiti (same island) where help is really needed.

I'll give it a year then it will be buried one fathom down.

I read on one of the many posts about this, that she will still be called Adonia, and be part of the P&O fleet. Isn't this for just a few weeks in summer?

Has Adonia been repainted with the Union Jack yet? Will she return to normal cruising for the rest of the year?

Is this a response to RCI's interest in Haiti, through Labadee, and the continued help they give, such as the orphanage, etc?

Edited by jocap

In addition to all this, cruise next March, D606 is being cancelled! Apparently a letter is in the post. We were really looking forward to this. It was a cruise in the Caribbean calling at places like Bequia, then on to several stops in the Southern states of the USA, then back across the Atlantic to Southampton. Our cruise and D606A is being cancelled, according to the P&O website. Not happy!

Have just posted on the Carnival forum that this just seems like a money making affair to ease someone's conscience. If they are that bothered about the charities they want to support just give them to money that this make over will cost.

The comments in the P&O brochure re Adonia going to the Caribbean for 2016 have been misleading. Am glad we didn't wait and booked our Oceana holiday now.

One of the bits I read said that Adonia will be staying with the P&O fleet but will be "assigned" to Fathom. To me that sounds like they are hedging their bets that the project may not be that long-lived and so the ship can then go back to its parent fleet.

I do agree that it seems an utterly bizarre concept to send people off to 'poor' countries on a rather luxurious cruise ship.

Converted to what???

Well it says no structural changes, but then also says they'll be no theatre style ents so guessing training / conference type rooms. Maybe a workshop to teach these clay building systems..

I would imagine they'd "tone down" any lavish opulence onboard.

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/GOCCL/Files/News%20and%20%20Updates/fathomTravel_PR.ashx

Edited by Single Cruiser