Adonia to leave P&O

MattyBarlow

I just feel mislead after the stuff about the ship sailing from the Caribbean in 2016. We were quiet excited and posted questions on here. No word from P&O about this though it was in THEIR brochure.

Oh well ---- off to chill out -- after all we decided to not chance it and went with Oceana 2016. Love that ship

I'm afraid I think that 'activities' in communities like those planned for Adonia always seem very patronising to me. A lot of very privileged people arriving in a posh ship and playing at 'helping' communities.

Sorry, but no thank you for us.

Will there be any kind of vetting of the participants in terms of their background, skills or ability to teach those skills? Or will just anybody be able to go on these cruises?

Don't like this idea at all. It just feels all too condescending. Surely there are better way of supporting and developing a community than sending some wealthy do-gooding cruisers for a few days at a time.

That's been worrying us...my police check, from being a teacher, ran out, so I had to get a new one for working in a youth club; OH still has his check intact.

We'd be looking at the educational work, but dread to think who could slip through the net!

That's been worrying us...my police check, from being a teacher, ran out, so I had to get a new one for working in a youth club; OH still has his check intact.

We'd be looking at the educational work, but dread to think who could slip through the net!

Me too Jo. I had CRB clearance for teaching in England which was up-to-date when we moved to Scotland but I still had to get a certificate up here when I started volunteering. Can't get my head round this new line at all.

So of Carnival's 3 remaining R class ships, Ocean Princess will be sold to Oceania in March 2016, and Adonia now has a rather strange new role, leaving only Pacific Princess still cruising normally, but for how long.

Clearly small ships no longer fit into a mainstream cruise lines operation, and one has to wonder whether even Arcadia is likely to be kept operational within P&O's fleet in the long term.

Holland America is now the only Carnival brand still building ships less than 100,000 tonnes, although AIDA has only recently moved into the big ship class.

If you really want a small ship cruise the options are quickly moving towards the 6 star luxury cruise lines.

Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong country; when it's time to plan a cruise, especially! I love the Cunard ships and would love to cruise on P & O as well. I'm still missing the QE2 and always will! I am dismayed by these big floating hotels here at the Florida ports near me, and all this drama created by both NCL and Carnival Corp lately is just ridiculous. As an American I would like to apologize that your Adonia has been taken away and some of you are not going to embark on the trip you were so looking forward to taking. That's how I felt when they sold the QE2 to the Arabs... 😔 If budget were no object we'd be taking a transatlantic over on the QM2 and boarding one of your British liners which still offer the smaller ships and ballroom dancing, which is mostly nonexistent on the mainline ships over here that we've cruised on with our children and grandchildren. We have many friends and students that participate in mission trips to the DR on a yearly basis. When I saw the cost of this fathom "volunteer cruise" I was completely speechless. I wonder if the cruisers will "raise support" for the trips the way our church members do for their missions costs??? 😳

Interesting post in the Princess forum on this subject points out that in the customer cruise contract it states that Adonia has been chartered from P&O. Also on the fathom web site bookings only go up to mid October 2016, so Adonia is not actually leaving P&O as yet but what happens after October 2016 is anyone's guess.

Agree with both tartanexile and jocap. I hadn't thought of that aspect.

I also had to be CRB checked for work in educational establishments and had to have a separate one for each one. And one was for rejoining the school where I had worked for 10 years and was very well known to them. As you say, dread to think who could get through here.

Could the actual 'work' they talk about ever be more than observing and maybe joining in some communal activities for their group - like an art class on board ship?

Reading the Carnival thread I think it is more of a USA thing that may appeal to wealthy teenagers in their gap year. That's what the Americans seem to be saying. It is worth having a look at their take on it too -- they're not happy.

Totally agree, patronising. The millions spent setting it up, advertising it etc etc could just be given to charity not used to make the cruise line 'look' good and ease their conscience ....

Re the need for checks ---- good point --- frightening.

It's not the first time that Carnival has done this. Adonia, then the Swan Hellenic Minerva 2 was taken away and re named Royal Princess. Also later they got rid of Swan Hellenic as well.

As mentioned here this whole business has been mismanaged, possibly deliberately. P&O stated that an exciting new program was being put together. Yeah, how exciting for the previous, largely older Adonia clients.

Big ship are the order of the day now and none of the major lines are interested in the smaller niche ships. Eventually Adonia will be sold off to Cruise Maritime or Fred, or possibly Saga and P&O will build even bigger ships than the current monster.

David.

Agree with both tartanexile and jocap. I hadn't thought of that aspect.

I also had to be CRB checked for work in educational establishments and had to have a separate one for each one. And one was for rejoining the school where I had worked for 10 years and was very well known to them. As you say, dread to think who could get through here.

Could the actual 'work' they talk about ever be more than observing and maybe joining in some communal activities for their group - like an art class on board ship?

I am not sure if CRB's are an issue if the ship is not registered in the UK or not sailing in UK waters

I am not sure if CRB's are an issue if the ship is not registered in the UK or not sailing in UK waters

I think the issue is more to do with will anyone be checking on these volunteers if they are going to be working with vulnerable groups, whether it be the UK system or US system (if they have one).

I read on one of the many posts about this, that she will still be called Adonia, and be part of the P&O fleet. Isn't this for just a few weeks in summer?

Has Adonia been repainted with the Union Jack yet? Will she return to normal cruising for the rest of the year?

Is this a response to RCI's interest in Haiti, through Labadee, and the continued help they give, such as the orphanage, etc?

I found this on Fathom's website, which would tend to support that interpretation:

"As part of the Carnival family, fathom is supported by its sister brand, P&O Cruises, in bringing impact travel to life aboard the 710-passenger Adonia, the smallest ship in the P&O fleet. The Adonia is the heir to over 175 years of P&O maritime tradition. And now, in fathom’s inaugural year, it’s about to establish a new tradition of its own."

I suppose it explains why there was a delay in finalising Adonia's itinerary for summer 2016, with P&O just saying that she would be in the Caribbean.

Sorry if I am offending anyone, but I certainly am rather pleased at the demise of Adonia, hopefully P&O will see some sense and re market Arcadia as well.

The concept of Adults only crusing is fine provided you get a broad spectrum of age groups travelling, sadly in the UK - adults only appears to equal quite a senior age group. Having tried the product, I would not go again on an Adults Only - after 23:30 Arcadia becomes a ghost ship, whilst I am not a 24 hr party animal, I do want to enjoy some life late at night, after all I am on holiday.

Perhaps P&O should consider a re branding of the Adults only concept, with more emphasis on late night entertainment etc - it might work wonders.

So Adonia gone - Oriana probably next, the marketing hype re Britannia failing miserably, what next - Crisis - what Crisis.

Happy Joe

So Adonia gone - Oriana probably next, the marketing hype re Britannia failing miserably, what next - Crisis - what Crisis.

Happy Joe

Let's hope they struggle to sell cabins on Britannia, will mean more Saver bargains, hopefully in the Caribbean and also hope they are forced to reinstate Dining choice for Saver fares.

Let's hope they struggle to sell cabins on Britannia, will mean more Saver bargains, hopefully in the Caribbean and also hope they are forced to reinstate Dining choice for Saver fares.

and would you like P&O to pay for your cruise as well get real you buy cheap you get no choice why should you have same privileges as Select who have paid a lot more for those privileges.

and would you like P&O to pay for your cruise as well get real you buy cheap you get no choice why should you have same privileges as Select who have paid a lot more for those privileges.

Yes Please

Seriously though, if they struggle to fill the 2 big ships in the Caribbean, it must be good for those looking for a bargain. Savers/Getaways served us well for many cruises until recently.

Edited by bee-ess

Sorry if I am offending anyone, but I certainly am rather pleased at the demise of Adonia, hopefully P&O will see some sense and re market Arcadia as well.

The concept of Adults only crusing is fine provided you get a broad spectrum of age groups travelling, sadly in the UK - adults only appears to equal quite a senior age group. Having tried the product, I would not go again on an Adults Only - after 23:30 Arcadia becomes a ghost ship, whilst I am not a 24 hr party animal, I do want to enjoy some life late at night, after all I am on holiday.

Perhaps P&O should consider a re branding of the Adults only concept, with more emphasis on late night entertainment etc - it might work wonders.

Happy Joe

Perhaps this should have its own thread, but...

It is inevitable that passengers on adult only ships will tend to be of senior years. The majority of potential cruisers under their mid fifties will still have non adult children, and unless they sail without them are ruled out as far as adult only ships are concerned. That leaves the main possible market as those whose children are now over 18, or those who have yet to start a family. The latter group may not see a cruise dominated by the former group as an attractive proposition, fearing that onboard entertainment and activities will be geared to a much older age group. They may gravitate towards family ships even though they have no family themselves, to be with passengers of a similar age.

One possible solution. Get rid of the adults only concept and replace it with adult orientated. Ships which accept children but do not specifically cater for them, having no children's' facilities. Discuss!

I would agree with you. Adult only, of course, will attract those who are older. However, I have sailed on Arcadia and also Oriana a few times and did not find a ghost ship at 11.30. In fact after we had been to the show, we ended up in the piano bar having a sing-song until he stopped playing. On other nights, we went to the Crows Nest for a dance. The above poster must have been unlucky. Our Arcadia cruise was to the States & Canada and there were plenty of younger adults on board.

People without kids and those whose kids have flown the nest want holidays away from kids. It's quite simple.

Happy Joe

Does this just not mean that Adonia is not for you? I don't know the stats but have been on Adonia 4 times and it has always been quite full so clearly some people like it and there is a market for it.

I am in my 50s and am often amongst the youngest on board but that doesn't bother me and I am not a later night person anyway. I couldn't tell you if there is any night life or not! its horses for courses.

On my last Adonia cruise what put me off was the lack of day time activities that were not spa (selling) or quiz based - in the 5 years I have cruised with P and O I think the daytime offering has declined

We loved Adonia and the cruise was sold out ages before we went. Adonia is extremely popular, but probably doesn't bring in the revenue because she is smaller and the crew pax ratio wouldn't be as good.

Perhaps this should have its own thread, but...

It is inevitable that passengers on adult only ships will tend to be of senior years. The majority of potential cruisers under their mid fifties will still have non adult children, and unless they sail without them are ruled out as far as adult only ships are concerned. That leaves the main possible market as those whose children are now over 18, or those who have yet to start a family. The latter group may not see a cruise dominated by the former group as an attractive proposition, fearing that onboard entertainment and activities will be geared to a much older age group. They may gravitate towards family ships even though they have no family themselves, to be with passengers of a similar age.

One possible solution. Get rid of the adults only concept and replace it with adult orientated. Ships which accept children but do not specifically cater for them, having no children's' facilities. Discuss!

We've been to Adults Only hotels in August and for an early 50s couple it is perfect. There are also lots of younger couples there and it works well. That is in August though so not sure how it works out of school holidays.

Having said that, I have to say that I love the company of older couples - love to be with elderly people as quite often they really know how to have a good holiday and don't care as much as we do about stuff. Perhaps its us.

I think it is sad if they get rid of the Adults Only ships --- my complaint was that they kept sending those ships to the ports that we didn't want and in the school holidays avoided the Med etc.

If you had an Adults Only ship with no childrens' facilities you would have bored children all over the ship. Not a good idea -- unless it would put families off.

Just to add that we don't tend to do the entertainment side --- our idea of a perfect evening is a table for 2, a nice meal, cocktails / prom deck, a stroll around the ship and sitting listening to a tinkling piano. Before anyone says it is an age thing - we were like this in our 30s. :) :-)

Adonia's fate is now admitted to on P&O's website:

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/adonia/overview/ now includes:

"From April 2016, Adonia will be reassigned to a new brand called fathom, focusing on the growing number of people who want to work alongside local communities as part of their travel experience in areas such as education, the environment and economic development. She will be sailing out of Miami to the Dominican Republic on a weekly basis and passengers will be working on programmes that make a positive social impact on the communities they visit.

"Adonia continues to be part of the P&O Cruises fleet and will be based in America. Everyone at P&O Cruises is excited and proud to be part of this assignment."

Adonia's fate is now admitted to on P&O's website:

http://www.pocruises.com/cruise-ships/adonia/overview/ now includes:

"From April 2016, Adonia will be reassigned to a new brand called fathom, focusing on the growing number of people who want to work alongside local communities as part of their travel experience in areas such as education, the environment and economic development. She will be sailing out of Miami to the Dominican Republic on a weekly basis and passengers will be working on programmes that make a positive social impact on the communities they visit.

"Adonia continues to be part of the P&O Cruises fleet and will be based in America. Everyone at P&O Cruises is excited and proud to be part of this assignment."

Sorry but what a load of rubbish ----- the Carnival cruisers were told days ago and finally they tell the P&O cruisers. I am not a fan of the ship and have never sailed on her but I do think that P&O cruisers have been treated badly. Then again, the Carnival cruisers aren't happy either.

I really do not get this new venture - how on earth do they think this is going to be something that people from the UK are going to go for????? Wealthy Americans in their gap year yes ----- not your average Britain. We were so looking forward to their new itineraries for the Caribbean as they had advertised.

Hey ho