Adonia to leave P&O

MattyBarlow

Why is P&O silent on this. No press release, no e mail to me as a long time customer on Adonia, just the usual "thank you for sailing with us please tell how you enjoyed it.

Sorry P&O, that's us finished with you now the, for us finest ship has gone.

David.

So of Carnival's 3 remaining R class ships, Ocean Princess will be sold to Oceania in March 2016, and Adonia now has a rather strange new role, leaving only Pacific Princess still cruising normally, but for how long.

Clearly small ships no longer fit into a mainstream cruise lines operation, and one has to wonder whether even Arcadia is likely to be kept operational within P&O's fleet in the long term.

Holland America is now the only Carnival brand still building ships less than 100,000 tonnes, although AIDA has only recently moved into the big ship class.

If you really want a small ship cruise the options are quickly moving towards the 6 star luxury cruise lines.

Why is P&O silent on this. No press release, no e mail to me as a long time customer on Adonia, just the usual "thank you for sailing with us please tell how you enjoyed it.

Sorry P&O, that's us finished with you now the, for us finest ship has gone.

David.

Clearly not P&O's decision. That was made by Carnival. Their decision they announced it. It is sailing out of a U.S. Port all fares are in dollars, it has become a U.S. Ship. So that means you have to be finished with Carnival.

So of Carnival's 3 remaining R class ships, Ocean Princess will be sold to Oceania in March 2016, and Adonia now has a rather strange new role, leaving only Pacific Princess still cruising normally, but for how long.

Clearly small ships no longer fit into a mainstream cruise lines operation, and one has to wonder whether even Arcadia is likely to be kept operational within P&O's fleet in the long term.

Holland America is now the only Carnival brand still building ships less than 100,000 tonnes, although AIDA has only recently moved into the big ship class.

If you really want a small ship cruise the options are quickly moving towards the 6 star luxury cruise lines.

As long as they do cruises UK to UK then that's OK, but they do not.

I think I know who to blame. Me. Went on Artemis and within a year she was gone, grr she was a lovely little ship. And guess what. Just recently back after a super two weeks on Adonia.

But we like the smaller ships and are booked on Oceania's Riviera in September. Maybe that and , of course, our old mates at Fred Olsen will be the way forward for us smaller ship loving types.

I think I know who to blame. Me. Went on Artemis and within a year she was gone, grr she was a lovely little ship. And guess what. Just recently back after a super two weeks on Adonia.

But we like the smaller ships and are booked on Oceania's Riviera in September. Maybe that and , of course, our old mates at Fred Olsen will be the way forward for us smaller ship loving types.

Oceania is wonderful. I did an ex-uk round trip on Nautica and was sold. Not opulent but thoughtful touches of luxury and a lovely mix of mainly well-educated and interested US pax.

Also having discovered you don't actually have to be German-speaking to sail on Artania (Artemis) I will be looking at her itineraries in future as well.

Edited by Host Sharon

Which P&O ship are the Adonia fans going to switch to? The whole fleet going 'sans jacket' next year might alarm them ;)

The positive side is my 3 nighter on Oriana in August will mean i have collected the full set :)

ps - they still have Britannia to fill

Charming piece of news. :mad:

We are booked on D604 which now looks as though it will be Adonias last P and O cruise. I cannot even start to imagine how the crew will feel on this last cruise so there is every chance we have a cruise crewed by a bunch of rather ticked off people. Doesn't bode well for two weeks of Caribbean bliss does it.

We were really looking forward to it with all the different ports that we would be visiting. Now we don't know if it would be best to cancel and go somewhere else (not P and O) After finding ourselves punished to the tune of several hundred pounds for booking early on Britannia we now face the prospect of two weeks with a rather fed up crew on Adonias swansong cruise. I think I would rather they cancelled it and gave us our money back!!

Peter

Why worry about Arcadia she is larger than Oriana, newer and more reliable if I had to guess which ship is to leave the P&O fleet it will be Oriana.

We are booked on D604 which now looks as though it will be Adonias last P and O cruise. I cannot even start to imagine how the crew will feel on this last cruise so there is every chance we have a cruise crewed by a bunch of rather ticked off people. Doesn't bode well for two weeks of Caribbean bliss does it.

We were really looking forward to it with all the different ports that we would be visiting. Now we don't know if it would be best to cancel and go somewhere else (not P and O) After finding ourselves punished to the tune of several hundred pounds for booking early on Britannia we now face the prospect of two weeks with a rather fed up crew on Adonias swansong cruise. I think I would rather they cancelled it and gave us our money back!!

Peter

The crew are staying with the ship. They may like it, Americans tend to tip better than the Brits.

This fact plus the ship will still be branded P&O tells me that if this goes belly up a switch back to the UK would be easier.

Well Adonia is a P&O ship and P&O is a British cruise line so its stretching it somewhat to say that they had nothing to do with the decision or that the normal business practice of communicating such news via press release can be abandoned.

As to your comment about "finished with Carnival" I don't see the relevance. If I get a rotten orange at Waitrose doesn't mean I should never set foot in John Lewis ever again.

David.

Well Adonia is a P&O ship and P&O is a British cruise line so its stretching it somewhat to say that they had nothing to do with the decision or that the normal business practice of communicating such news via press release can be abandoned.

As to your comment about "finished with Carnival" I don't see the relevance. If I get a rotten orange at Waitrose doesn't mean I should never set foot in John Lewis ever again.

David.

This decision was clearly a Carnival one. P&O were told what was happening. I feel you are directing your anger at the wrong target.

Peter

I think I would cancel or see if P&O will switch you to another cruise. They are bound to start work on the refurb during your cruise which will disrupt.

This decision was clearly a Carnival one. P&O were told what was happening. I feel you are directing your anger at the wrong target.

I'm not angry. Simply saying the P&O choices don't appeal to me now that Adonia is no longer with the fleet, so I will do as anyone would, shop elsewhere.

David.

What the bejesus is that all about.

:confused:

Do the Americans really fall for all that marketing rubbish.

Please do not attack the Americans, this will be an excellent opportunity to do away with the Salon and Treatment rooms and introduce Consulting Rooms and Therapists.

Regards John

Or CMV

They may like it, Americans tend to tip better than the Brits.

Not the ones I know and have spoken to since the news! They are wondering what will happen as much as the passengers are!

Will there be any kind of vetting of the participants in terms of their background, skills or ability to teach those skills? Or will just anybody be able to go on these cruises?

Don't like this idea at all. It just feels all too condescending. Surely there are better way of supporting and developing a community than sending some wealthy do-gooding cruisers for a few days at a time.