Adonia to leave P&O

MattyBarlow

I am not sure if CRB's are an issue if the ship is not registered in the UK or not sailing in UK waters

I wasn't suggesting that everybody cruising on the ship would need a CRB and knew it wouldn't be applicable in the USA / whoever the ship is registered BUT I'm very concerned about whether or not there will be any vetting of prospective cruisers.

Anyway how much benefit will people who've never set foot in a community be able to do in a few hours.

Anyway how much benefit will people who've never set foot in a community be able to do in a few hours.

Especially if they then head back to a nice ship for the evening. What message does that send out? Just makes it a token gesture to ease our conscience and the day an excursion. :(

To be honest it sickens me, because no cruise line does anything unless it makes money. To make money out of the needy makes me sick. :mad:

To say that this remains a P&O ship --- do the powers that be at Carnival think we are stupid ??!!!

I am at a loss to say what I really think on here. We don't fly, and actually

prefer the smaller ships ( remember Artemis?) and were hoping that next year we could find a suitable itinerary at the right time on Adonia.

Dreams destroyed. What on earth do P&O think they are doing? How can Adonia remain a p & o ship - essentially a British brand- when you have to fly across the pond to even think about joining her.

After my Upcoming July trip on Arcadia, I may well become an ex- P&O customer. (The jury is out) Cruising just ain't what it used to be! And I am not old .....yet. Maybe I will have to try river cruising.....?or Saga?....perhaps not!

Well if my one and only river cruise was anything to go by, no way! We hated it. dinner was at 6pm every evening, that's fine if you like to eat early, but we don't. Our cabin smelled of bilge water. there was no entertainment after dinner apart from a guy playing the keyboard. Never again.

However, we might be sailing more with Fred Olsen in future.

Sorry but what a load of rubbish ----- the Carnival cruisers were told days ago and finally they tell the P&O cruisers. I am not a fan of the ship and have never sailed on her but I do think that P&O cruisers have been treated badly. Then again, the Carnival cruisers aren't happy either.

I really do not get this new venture - how on earth do they think this is going to be something that people from the UK are going to go for????? Wealthy Americans in their gap year yes ----- not your average Britain. We were so looking forward to their new itineraries for the Caribbean as they had advertised.

Hey ho

No need to apologise for calling it a load of rubbish. I don't think many would disagree.

I imagine that they won't be worried if they don't get anyone from the UK as long as they get enough wealthy young Americans - but even that seems highly unlikely to me.

I should think the crew are going to get bored out of their minds continually shuttling between Miami and the Dominican Republic, with only the rare hurricane to cause a break in the routine.

Well if my one and only river cruise was anything to go by, no way! We hated it. dinner was at 6pm every evening, that's fine if you like to eat early, but we don't. Our cabin smelled of bilge water. there was no entertainment after dinner apart from a guy playing the keyboard. Never again.

However, we might be sailing more with Fred Olsen in future.

River cruise doesn't sound good.....who did you go with? Certainly don't want to eat at 6pm.Fred doesn't appeal at the moment..although haven't tried it yet. Friend of mine has said never again to Fred having had an absolutely horrific experience with them recently.

Not sure where that leaves us!

What a strange thing to do to our beloved Adonis.This was the only ship we would sail on in the PO fleet,so our cruise on 7/10/15 will be our 3rd and last one. We tried Oriana last year and absolutely hated it on account of it being so impersonal.Who will Captain the Adonis on this new venture? We will now have to look at sailing on Oceans or Azamara as there ships are the right size for us. Mr.and Mrs Reed.

No need to apologise for calling it a load of rubbish. I don't think many would disagree.

I imagine that they won't be worried if they don't get anyone from the UK as long as they get enough wealthy young Americans - but even that seems highly unlikely to me.

I should think the crew are going to get bored out of their minds continually shuttling between Miami and the Dominican Republic, with only the rare hurricane to cause a break in the routine.

Thanks - I did worry about my post as it was a 'straight from the heart' one for me.

Just so cross for a number of reasons. I could blame P&O - but to me it is Carnival that is to blame. Whoever thought that we would buy into this must be deranged. Still part of P&O --- what utter rubbish !!!!!

It is interesting on the P&O facebook page that P&O has gone very quiet re the new venture .......................

What a strange thing to do to our beloved Adonis.This was the only ship we would sail on in the PO fleet,so our cruise on 7/10/15 will be our 3rd and last one. We tried Oriana last year and absolutely hated it on account of it being so impersonal.Who will Captain the Adonis on this new venture? We will now have to look at sailing on Oceans or Azamara as there ships are the right size for us. Mr.and Mrs Reed.

We sailed on Oceana as our first ship with P&O and had a perfect cruise on her recently. We love this ship. She isn't new so has rusty bits but is just beautiful.

We have already booked for her for next August. Any questions re Oceana please ask. I can't imagine them selling her off or her becoming Fathom 2 ---- only too glad to help you find a new ship.

One possible solution. Get rid of the adults only concept and replace it with adult orientated. Ships which accept children but do not specifically cater for them, having no children's' facilities. Discuss!

Which is exactly what Holland America and Oceania do.

I am at a loss to say what I really think on here. We don't fly, and actually

prefer the smaller ships ( remember Artemis?) and were hoping that next year we could find a suitable itinerary at the right time on Adonia.

Dreams destroyed. What on earth do P&O think they are doing? How can Adonia remain a p & o ship - essentially a British brand- when you have to fly across the pond to even think about joining her.

After my Upcoming July trip on Arcadia, I may well become an ex- P&O customer. (The jury is out) Cruising just ain't what it used to be! And I am not old .....yet. Maybe I will have to try river cruising.....?or Saga?....perhaps not!

I loved my two river cruises but they are so much more expensive than ocean cruising. AS for Saga - tried an overnight and have ruled that out. Fred? Uhmm liked Braemar, hated Balmoral and a much older pax base than Adonia. I think it will be HAL more for me, although I love Oriana so as long as she is sailing I am happy. .

River cruise doesn't sound good.....who did you go with? Certainly don't want to eat at 6pm.Fred doesn't appeal at the moment..although haven't tried it yet. Friend of mine has said never again to Fred having had an absolutely horrific experience with them recently.

Not sure where that leaves us!

We tried Fred for the first time earlier this year because of the excellent itinerary but I'm afraid we too had a bad experience. The constant illness on the ship detracted from the experience for us. It was a long cruise and we found it too dull at night - the whole ship went to bed around 11:00 p.m. We never say never but we do say highly unlikely!! On the other hand we've liked every P&O ship we've been on

Edited by tartanexile81

Sorry but what a load of rubbish ----- the Carnival cruisers were told days ago and finally they tell the P&O cruisers. I am not a fan of the ship and have never sailed on her but I do think that P&O cruisers have been treated badly. Then again, the Carnival cruisers aren't happy either.

I really do not get this new venture - how on earth do they think this is going to be something that people from the UK are going to go for????? Wealthy Americans in their gap year yes ----- not your average Britain. We were so looking forward to their new itineraries for the Caribbean as they had advertised.

Hey ho

This was on the P&O. Site the same day as the announcement.

The decision is clearly not made by P&O and the clientele will not be from the UK either. You do know the fares start at about £1000 for an inside cabin cruise only. No airfare included at all.

It is clearly for the U.S. Market. It is all about Carnival finding something else for the small ships to do.

We can only surmise that the small ships do not make enough money

Oriana is double the size of Adonia and too big for many of the pax I spoke to aboard last month. These are people who may have mobility problems or just like a small ship because of the fewer pax, making more of a "village" atmosphere.

So where do these people go for their next cruise? Certainly not P&O. Maybe they didn't spend enough and small ships don't make enough profit for a large cruise line.

Anyway we have to hope Britannia keeps sailing full. Time will tell.

David.

I am put off Oriana by the lack of affordable balconies - I need my fresh air!

Also Oriana seems like Marmite - though she has her fans loads of pax seem to say never again

I suspect I'll look at Oceana / Aurora in term time going forward

I am off on Celebrity Eclipse again next month. Although bigger than I ideally like it is very well designed and doesn't feel over crowded. I wish Celebrity did more sailings out of Southampton as I think I'd use them more

Yes; I am sure you will never forget the wonderful Adonis and when you try Oceans and do not have a good thing to say about that no doubt you will forget P&O and move on to Azamara. Welcome to the United Kingdom Mr and Mrs READ.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Yes Please

Seriously though, if they struggle to fill the 2 big ships in the Caribbean, it must be good for those looking for a bargain. Savers/Getaways served us well for many cruises until recently.

Do we have any info. that P&O are having more difficulty than normal in filling their ships?

There are some good saver fares being advertised in the weekend papers but not any more on P&O than any other lines.

I suspect that Carnival are finding it difficult to make an adequate return on these small ships and are looking to divest. They have managed to sell Ocean Princess to Oceania but Adonia not having a mini suite deck is proving more difficult to shift to a luxury line. Hence this new venture, which might be eligible for tax breaks, and will possibly provide Carnival with some good publicity.

I imagine it is being left as part of the P&O fleet, although separately run, to minimise any extra costs, and to have a ready home for it if the new venture fails.

Apart from our very first cruise, which was on Braemar, and one short 5 night cruise on Queen Elizabeth, the rest of our cruises have been with P&O - 16 so far. However, our cruise on Adonia next March has been cancelled because they obviously want the ship out in the Caribbean and not in Southampton which is where our 21 night cruise ended. We have not had any information from P&O yet - we found out that the cruise has been cancelled by P&O on Facebook - or rather it told about Adonia's 'exciting' new venture. We followed a link which eventually took us to the main P&O website which added as an afterthought that two cruises next March would be cancelled - nothing about contacting passengers who have booked. As of today, still nothing!

We have spent the weekend looking around for a replacement cruise. We do not want to do the usual two week Caribbean cruise offered by Azura and Britannia. We have been on Azura three times now - really because she was in the Caribbean and that's where we wanted to go and it was a choice between Azura and Ventura.

So for the first time we started to look at other cruiselines. It seems that the majority of the American lines don't offer much choice of 14+ nights cruises in the Caribbean and those that do keep to the Western side which includes ports like Grand Cayman, Costa Maya and Cozumel, none of which we like as much as the Eastern Caribbean.

I will contact our cruise agent today to see what they know. All I've heard so far, and it's probably just a rumour, is that P&O are offering £100 off a future cruise to those passengers whose cruise has been cancelled. I think P&O have had a PR disaster in handling this episode. The comments on P&O's Facebook mostly show the poor reaction of this news about Adonia.

However, I would guess they knew that would happen and I'm sure this was a Carnival decision. It would have been better if those of us who had booked on one of the cancelled cruises could have been informed before or at the same time as the press release about Adonia.

So sad.

Do we have any info. that P&O are having more difficulty than normal in filling their ships?

There are some good saver fares being advertised in the weekend papers but not any more on P&O than any other lines.

I suspect that Carnival are finding it difficult to make an adequate return on these small ships and are looking to divest. They have managed to sell Ocean Princess to Oceania but Adonia not having a mini suite deck is proving more difficult to shift to a luxury line. Hence this new venture, which might be eligible for tax breaks, and will possibly provide Carnival with some good publicity.

I imagine it is being left as part of the P&O fleet, although separately run, to minimise any extra costs, and to have a ready home for it if the new venture fails.

This is starting to worry me. I agree with every thing you say.

I need to lay down

Dai

That ought to get ya'lls attention?

I actually heard of this on cruise critic. In the news section. I read the bit of info they posted about a week ago. It seems the lady that's heading up fathom is a friend of some bigwig at Carnival. She had been talking up this idea for some time to the guy. The decision was made to give this "idea" a try and they pegged her to head it all up.

So you guys lose a classic ship, since its the right size to try a venture like this.

Short story: We sailed on Carnival's dream a while back and on that cruise a couple at our dinner table had this story about setting up a visit to a health clinic while we were in Belize. I'm not sure exactly what they did there, and maybe they delivered some first aid items they'd brought with them from the states, but anyway, they seemed to have a good time with it and we had to endure their talk about it while trying to enjoy dinner. :eek: oh well, to each his own, live and let live we figured ( kind of a weird couple anyway )

So, we have first hand experience that there is at least one couple that might pay 3,000 bucks and take a cruise and do something to feel good about themselves and do a bit of charity.

The ship you lose is advertised on fathom's site as 710 passengers. The cruise being sold now, or at least they are taking a general sort of reservation, (for outside cabins to be finalized later) cost a deposit of $300 dollars and a final of $2700+- with cabin types to be finalized later. The price includes MOST fees in MOST cases. Here on cruise critic they mentioned two days of learning how to make water filters, while cruising, followed by a couple days delivering and installing them in DR, then two days back to Miami. The total cruise is 7 days.

I'd say, the ship size is the key. Your ship, probably one of the smaller Carnival owned ships for this experiment. I'd think if this venture is successful that either a larger ship, or more ships, or this ship on longer cruises to more ports would be the natural direction the cruise line would take.

If you go to the fathom website, IMPACT! is prominently mentioned. IMPACT! is a recent, popularly used community charity program we have now seen fairly often in the states. So even in my church just about every sunday we hear of local IMPACT! projects and work in our community. From mowing someone's yard, to bulding a wheelchair ramp to their back door, installing a park bench, cutting down fallen trees in someones yard to feeding people in a church soup kitchen and assembling food packages to ship overseas, the program has gotten fairly entrenched now. It's popularity is that it isn't tied to one church, denomination or actually even church related specifically. Our church and many in the community support it, but also the local YMCA, boy scouts, schools, and community organizations are involved here in our county. I think each town, or community decides what level of support they want to put into IMPACT! just as they would the United Way, Unicef or any other charitable organization. IMPACT!'s popularity I think comes from people actually getting out and getting their hands dirty doing something, in stead of just pulling five bucks out of their wallet when the collection plate comes around.

Anyway, I haven't particiapated physically myself in an IMPACT! event, but sure, I've tossed in a few bucks when that plate did come around.

So, the deal is, I believe the ship is a big time try to see if they can pay the bills and entice community groups, churches, business, social groups ( red hatters, Lion's Club, Masonry ) and others as well as individuals to sign up.

I'm not persaonlly interested in going myself at this point, but I'd bet that some people I know will. It will be interesting to see if they make a go of it.

Someone mentioned Haiti, Royal C. built one of those "touristy" docks over on the Haitian coast and since the earthquake and storms they continue to make regular calls and every port call they deliver water, and medical supplies and materiails to the Haitian people.

By the way, my wife and I are also small ship fans, but unfortunately we have little choice as to what to sail these days. Unable to afford 6-10k a week for 7 days, we stay as small as the American market allows these days. I plead guilty to booking Carnivals Valor for this oct though.

oh well as we say, any cruise is better than no cruise

and a bad day of fishing is better than a good day or workin!:)

Well we have had 3 great cruises on Fred. Braemar, Black Watch and Balmoral. Enjoyed them all. We also love Oriana and didn't find her impersonal at all. In fact our friend who had only sailed with Fred and thought Oriana might be too big!! absolutely loved her too.

That ought to get ya'lls attention?

I actually heard of this on cruise critic. In the news section. I read the bit of info they posted about a week ago. It seems the lady that's heading up fathom is a friend of some bigwig at Carnival. She had been talking up this idea for some time to the guy. The decision was made to give this "idea" a try and they pegged her to head it all up.

So you guys lose a classic ship, since its the right size to try a venture like this.

Short story: We sailed on Carnival's dream a while back and on that cruise a couple at our dinner table had this story about setting up a visit to a health clinic while we were in Belize. I'm not sure exactly what they did there, and maybe they delivered some first aid items they'd brought with them from the states, but anyway, they seemed to have a good time with it and we had to endure their talk about it while trying to enjoy dinner. :eek: oh well, to each his own, live and let live we figured ( kind of a weird couple anyway )

So, we have first hand experience that there is at least one couple that might pay 3,000 bucks and take a cruise and do something to feel good about themselves and do a bit of charity.

The ship you lose is advertised on fathom's site as 710 passengers. The cruise being sold now, or at least they are taking a general sort of reservation, (for outside cabins to be finalized later) cost a deposit of $300 dollars and a final of $2700+- with cabin types to be finalized later. The price includes MOST fees in MOST cases. Here on cruise critic they mentioned two days of learning how to make water filters, while cruising, followed by a couple days delivering and installing them in DR, then two days back to Miami. The total cruise is 7 days.

I'd say, the ship size is the key. Your ship, probably one of the smaller Carnival owned ships for this experiment. I'd think if this venture is successful that either a larger ship, or more ships, or this ship on longer cruises to more ports would be the natural direction the cruise line would take.

If you go to the fathom website, IMPACT! is prominently mentioned. IMPACT! is a recent, popularly used community charity program we have now seen fairly often in the states. So even in my church just about every sunday we hear of local IMPACT! projects and work in our community. From mowing someone's yard, to bulding a wheelchair ramp to their back door, installing a park bench, cutting down fallen trees in someones yard to feeding people in a church soup kitchen and assembling food packages to ship overseas, the program has gotten fairly entrenched now. It's popularity is that it isn't tied to one church, denomination or actually even church related specifically. Our church and many in the community support it, but also the local YMCA, boy scouts, schools, and community organizations are involved here in our county. I think each town, or community decides what level of support they want to put into IMPACT! just as they would the United Way, Unicef or any other charitable organization. IMPACT!'s popularity I think comes from people actually getting out and getting their hands dirty doing something, in stead of just pulling five bucks out of their wallet when the collection plate comes around.

Anyway, I haven't particiapated physically myself in an IMPACT! event, but sure, I've tossed in a few bucks when that plate did come around.

So, the deal is, I believe the ship is a big time try to see if they can pay the bills and entice community groups, churches, business, social groups ( red hatters, Lion's Club, Masonry ) and others as well as individuals to sign up.

I'm not persaonlly interested in going myself at this point, but I'd bet that some people I know will. It will be interesting to see if they make a go of it.

Someone mentioned Haiti, Royal C. built one of those "touristy" docks over on the Haitian coast and since the earthquake and storms they continue to make regular calls and every port call they deliver water, and medical supplies and materiails to the Haitian people.

By the way, my wife and I are also small ship fans, but unfortunately we have little choice as to what to sail these days. Unable to afford 6-10k a week for 7 days, we stay as small as the American market allows these days. I plead guilty to booking Carnivals Valor for this oct though.

oh well as we say, any cruise is better than no cruise

and a bad day of fishing is better than a good day or workin!:)

Hi, thanks for giving us some knowledge re what is going on in the USA.

Love your final comments --- ;)

This was on the P&O. Site the same day as the announcement.

The decision is clearly not made by P&O and the clientele will not be from the UK either. You do know the fares start at about £1000 for an inside cabin cruise only. No airfare included at all.

It is clearly for the U.S. Market. It is all about Carnival finding something else for the small ships to do.

We can only surmise that the small ships do not make enough money

Very true, probably. It would be difficult to fill a smaller ship with revenue raising features which enable the headline fare to be kept low, and the mid market sector appears to be quite price sensitive. The only way to make a small ship pay IMO is to offer a premium product and charge accordingly, as Oceania do or as Celebrity have done with Azamara. Adonia could have become P&Os answer to the latter if this route had been adopted.