Review of Celebrity Suite (CS) Millenium class

lawgirl

We are just back from a 2 week Panama Canal cruise, staying in CS 7138, with friends in 7140. There wasn't much on the boards about these suites, so I thought I would give my honest review...

Please note, I realize we are very lucky to sail in a suite, and my comments are not to downplay how nice a suite is, but to offer advice for future cruisers.

First, X suite class in general is great ... the service in Luminae is exceptional. The menu is decidedly French and innovative. I have a dairy allergy, so the menu wasn't great for me, and the first 2 days I got bland food....but after 2 days a new maitre d took over and he was so great, allowing me to see the next day's menu ahead so the chef could alter my choices.

Michael's is also great. A full bar almost all day long, including before and after dinner (though I dare say we miss the little appetizers offered in the concierge club on Royal before dinner). Overall, X really gives good value to the suite class!

So, I would definitely book a suite again on X. Now, as for the CS, we would probably not book it again. Having sailed in many suites this was our least favorite. The pluses are that the service was great and the room is super quiet. There is plenty of storage. (plus, it is a suite!).

But the space just not utilized very well. The main room is nice, but some space is not used much....like the little desk, which seems to be unnecessary given the counter above the fridge which can be used for the same purpose. Things like the curio cabinets just take up room that could be used otherwise. And there is just some empty unused space in the room because of the layout.

The main issue is the bedroom and bath. Having a separate bedroom is nice, but it is super crammed. You end up bumping into things. It is awkward to try to get in the closets, as they are shoved in a weird space next to the vanity....it is hard to explain, other than it is crammed. The room would be hugely improved with the removal of the huge TV cabinet at the end of the bed. You can't use it for storage easily, as the doors open right into the bed. If it was removed, and a flat screen hung on the wall, it would be way better.

The bath is also truly odd. It is tiny. The tub is a massively awkward endeavor, sitting very high up with little room to move. It is a hazard to get in and out of. We managed, but we are in good shape. Anyone with physical challenges could be hurt. Further, storage is awkwardly behind the door and the toilet is shoved almost up against to sinks. Hard to use.

Also, if someone is sleeping, you have to go through the crowded bedroom to use the bathroom, inevitably waking up the person.

It seems that if the ship is ever overhauled, they could remove the desk and curios in the main room, allowing for the bath to be enlarged.

I know this all sounds confusing, and perhaps nit-picky, but a suite is a big investment (at least for us), so I wanted to let folks know there are challenges. I think perhaps other suites might be a better choice, or even a CS on Solstice class...others may disagree, but we liked the layout of other suite categories, as well as those on RCI, better. Just food for thought.

As an aside, the cruise was fantastic overall! I will try to write a review later, but service was the best we have ever had. The ship has some wear, but I thought it was in pretty good shape! We enjoyed the food and itinerary very much!

Thank you for putting into words what I never did.... lol I was in a CS on M class recently and wouldn't book again. Even tho as you stated it was great to have a suite and service was decent...dont want to sound like a spoilt child, (lol) but...

The bedroom/bathroom area left much to be desired indeed. Very squished and poor layout. Wasted space as you described. Very dark as no window in bedroom so it felt very claustrophobic. Unable to get internet in that area either.

Also anyone with mobility issues would have a hard time getting in/out of bath tub for shower since not separate. No sunloungers on the balcony which I expected, and was unable to obtain, but I guess, since there is a full overhang, it was diffcult to actually get sun on you anyway...so guess thats a mute point.

Location was nice, midship so easy access to all areas, but likely will not pay all the extra $ for one again. My dream is to experience a PH suite on MClass one day....sigh...now from what I have seen of those, deffo a wonderful space. Dream on....lol

Each to his own ...

I have to disagree about the layout and storage in the M-class CS. I think they are brilliant - better designed than the M-class RS and even the PH. We loved that there was so much storage space that you could afford to "waste" space on the display units. We travel with 4 large cases plus full carry-ons and, in the days when we sailed the M-class CS, used to order a crate of water on board. Everything was easily stored with space to spare. Personally, I made full use of both the vanity and desk.

I also agree that the CS on M class is poorly laid out. The bathroom is very tiny and awkward. i agree the TV cabinet should be removed as the storage in it is useless because of how close the bed is. The walk-in closet is in an awkward place especially if 2 of you are trying to access it.

In our case the CS we were in was in terrible shape with cabinet doors and drawers that didn't close properly.

As well I thought the upholstered furniture was all over-sized making the suite look much smaller than it is. Ours were worn out and shabby.

The CS on the S class is much better even though they are smaller.

Put me in the disagree column: I think the CS on M-class are wonderful. The curio cabinets make the room feel more like a home than a hotel room -- and there is so much storage that we didn't begrudge the space they take. If they removed the desk, there would be no place to put your computer. And all the floor space was great when we had a cocktail party for our roll call shore excursion mates [as was the Butler in setting it up!]. The bedroom is small?--but all you do is sleep there!

The M-Class Celebrity Suite is our favourite suite on the ship! and we have stayed in Penthouse 6147 - so yup! I could be a wee bit crazy.

We loved its size for 2 people, loved the dark bedroom for a good night’s rest, LOVED the windows and all the sunshine that bestowed our suite, and the dining area with curio cabinets - right up our alley!

IF I had to be picky, the high bathtub needs upgrading, but we dealt with it.

The bedroom is a wee squishy - but would never turn away an M-Class CS because of it.

Overall - we really enjoyed the room and its lighting.

However, diversity is the spice of life and what is one person’s cup of tea, isn’t another person’s.

I invite everyone to share their personal experiences of this Suite on the M-Class Cabin sticky thread (filling out the standard questions, which has a comments field), as differing opinions are helpful for everyone!

Heather

Edited by hvbaskey

The M-Class Celebrity Suite is our favourite suite on the ship! and we have stayed in Penthouse 6147 - so yup! I could be a wee bit crazy.

We loved its size for 2 people, loved the dark bedroom for a good night’s rest, LOVED the windows and all the sunshine that bestowed our suite, and the dining area with curio cabinets - right up our alley!

IF I had to be picky, the high bathtub needs upgrading, but we dealt with it.

The bedroom is a wee squishy - but would never turn away an M-Class CS because of it.

Overall - we really enjoyed the room and its lighting.

However, diversity is the spice of life and what is one person’s cup of tea, isn’t another person’s.

I invite everyone to share their personal experiences of this Suite on the M-Class Cabin sticky thread (filling out the standard questions, which has a comments field), as differing opinions are helpful for everyone!

Heather

There are only 8 CS suites on an M-class ship -- so I'm glad everybody doesn't like them! Otherwise I would never be able to book one again.

Very interesting read. We have our first CS booked for this April through the Panama Canal so I'll have to come back afterwards and give my 2 cents. All we can compare it to is a corner aft S1 on S class.

I chose the CS over an RS partially due to the advice from Curt Bechdel - Curt used to post often but I haven't seen him around for a while. He has been in most if not all classes of suites on both M and S class and he felt that CS on M class was superior to the RS but not true of those on S class ships.

This is most likely a one time splurge so either way - I know I can't be disappointed.

It is interesting to see everyone's differing opinions...I think alternate views are great so that cruisers can decide on their own what to do... I would agree with the comment that the large windows bring lots of light into the main room, and there is plenty of storage. We brought 5 large suitcases and fit everything.

It is still not my favorite layout.... but again X does provide excellent suite perks and whatever cabin you book, you will no doubt enjoy your cruise. Certainly, even though we didn't love the cabin itself, we appreciated being in a suite, the extra room in a larger cabin, and the service we received.

Very interesting read. We have our first CS booked for this April through the Panama Canal so I'll have to come back afterwards and give my 2 cents. All we can compare it to is a corner aft S1 on S class.

I chose the CS over an RS partially due to the advice from Curt Bechdel - Curt used to post often but I haven't seen him around for a while. He has been in most if not all classes of suites on both M and S class and he felt that CS on M class was superior to the RS but not true of those on S class ships.

This is most likely a one time splurge so either way - I know I can't be disappointed.

Well, I disagree with Curt. I think the M class royal suite is far superior to the CS. You don't have to go through the bedroom to get into the bathroom. There is a separate shower which is a HUGE deal. Taking a shower in that tub is terrible! Not to mention climbing over that high wall to get in and out.

Well, I disagree with Curt. I think the M class royal suite is far superior to the CS. You don't have to go through the bedroom to get into the bathroom. There is a separate shower which is a HUGE deal. Taking a shower in that tub is terrible! Not to mention climbing over that high wall to get in and out.

I agree...we've been in both on the Summit and the RS is far superior....about the only thing better in the CS would be the price....:)

I agree...we've been in both on the Summit and the RS is far superior....about the only thing better in the CS would be the price....:)

We prefer RS BUT our first suite on Celebrity was a CS on the M class BEFORE they added the balcony during a dry dock. I was in a wheel chair after a long hospital stay and we loved the floor to ceiling wall of windows. For me, it was great - no worrying about getting onto the balcony in a wheel chair. Main reason we chose the CS. Also very centrally located. Unfortunately, once my wife got treated to the suite life, there was no going back. Having a separate bedroom was outstanding as she could stay in bed, the butler bring breakfast, and then she could get up and have a leisurely meal. So for us, we now book CS and above. On the next cruise, we upgraded to a RS. At that point you understand the bathroom and tub issues. So now she wants RS or above. We have had PH 3 times on M class and actually think we prefer the RS. Yes, I know we are crazy but sometimes all that room may just be too much - does that make sense? Would we decline an upgrade or good upsell to a PH? Of course, we are not that crazy!!! I think my bottom line to all this rambling is this - we love the suite life on Celebrity and would book the CS in a heart beat on a cruise we wanted to go on if RS or above was not available.

We prefer RS BUT our first suite on Celebrity was a CS on the M class BEFORE they added the balcony during a dry dock. I was in a wheel chair after a long hospital stay and we loved the floor to ceiling wall of windows. For me, it was great - no worrying about getting onto the balcony in a wheel chair. Main reason we chose the CS. Also very centrally located. Unfortunately, once my wife got treated to the suite life, there was no going back. Having a separate bedroom was outstanding as she could stay in bed, the butler bring breakfast, and then she could get up and have a leisurely meal. So for us, we now book CS and above. On the next cruise, we upgraded to a RS. At that point you understand the bathroom and tub issues. So now she wants RS or above. We have had PH 3 times on M class and actually think we prefer the RS. Yes, I know we are crazy but sometimes all that room may just be too much - does that make sense? Would we decline an upgrade or good upsell to a PH? Of course, we are not that crazy!!! I think my bottom line to all this rambling is this - we love the suite life on Celebrity and would book the CS in a heart beat on a cruise we wanted to go on if RS or above was not available.

The only time we were in a CS on the M class was before it had a balcony too, and we thought the suite was great, suspect it's even better now. I do think the RS is nicer on both the M & S class but our suite of "choice" if we can do it is a CS on the "S" class.... I completely understand about the "too much room" idea, just don't need anymore or want anymore....but of course we wouldn't turn down a free upgrade either:D

We have had PH 3 times on M class and actually think we prefer the RS. Yes, I know we are crazy but sometimes all that room may just be too much - does that make sense?

Yes, it makes sense because the flow is so badly designed in the M-class PH. It can be much harder work if you make full use of the space. If you don't, then you may as well not have the space. That is why I prefer the S-class PH despite having the "tiny" balcony and no Butler's Pantry.

The only time we were in a CS on the M class was before it had a balcony too, and we thought the suite was great, suspect it's even better now.

We have not sailed in a CS since the balcony was added but have visited and, IMHO, I believe that the windows have lost much of their impact when the balcony was added. The suite seemed so much darker and one of its plus points was the light. The light is where the S-class suites win over the M-class suites.

Edited by Project_gal

It is interesting to see everyone's differing opinions...I think alternate views are great so that cruisers can decide on their own what to do... I would agree with the comment that the large windows bring lots of light into the main room, and there is plenty of storage. We brought 5 large suitcases and fit everything.

It is still not my favorite layout.... but again X does provide excellent suite perks and whatever cabin you book, you will no doubt enjoy your cruise. Certainly, even though we didn't love the cabin itself, we appreciated being in a suite, the extra room in a larger cabin, and the service we received.

Agreed!! :D

Yes, you are so right!! Deffo RS is superior in all ways, incl layout....

I used to think the CS on M-Class was the cats meow. It has been a couple of years since I stayed in one, as we've been in RSs and PHs since. I would always take the PH over either and probably the RS over the CS now, even on M-Class where I used to think the opposite, but price may come into play as well. I did get to visit my friend in her CS last week and I agree with both "sides" of this. It is a great cabin but think that Law Girls suggestions would mak e it even better. The balconies add much more than they take away (so nice to be able to walk out in the AM or as you depart), they still haev very good light as the lower cabins have minimal overhang.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We have not been on an M class ship but probably feel the same about the CS on the S class ships. The bedroom is too small with a one person walk round to the "walk in wardrobe" and the seating in the sitting area is too tight with the huge table there. My feeling is that this should be a large open space with no wall in it other than the bathroom which would make a lovely space where you can walk around in without bumping into each other and would give great space to enjoy.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

We have not been on an M class ship but probably feel the same about the CS on the S class ships. The bedroom is too small with a one person walk round to the "walk in wardrobe" and the seating in the sitting area is too tight with the huge table there. My feeling is that this should be a large open space with no wall in it other than the bathroom which would make a lovely space where you can walk around in without bumping into each other and would give great space to enjoy.

Could NOT disagree with you more about making the CS on S class a large open space instead of the separate bedroom. We didn't find it difficult at all maneuvering around the bedroom, and loved the privacy it gave to whoever was "sleeping in" on any given day.

The large sectional sofa is probably too much for the room, a normal sofa would have afforded the room more space for a dining table, but we make do with the large balcony table for that.

We have been in the CS on Reflection, Eclipse, and Equinox and will be in one again on Eclipse on our next TA. It's just a wonderful room for us....

OF course that IS why there are different choices...what works for some doesn't for another:)

We were on Infinity in April-May this year for 16 nights - Panama Canal Cruise. We stayed in a CS and just loved it! Great space, wonderful floor to ceiling windows for sight seeing in comfort. The balcony was a bit narrow but not really complaining. We loved the private bedroom. Agree that the console could be replaced by a flat-screen on the wall - that would be an improvement. The bathroom is a bit odd with the very high step tub/shower and the tight space to get in/out due to the placement of the toilet. This was the nicest suite we have experienced and the service was outstanding. Loved Michael's Club and Luminae.

What you say about the bedroom is correct but not for the main room. There is plenty of walking space to enjoy in the M-class CS yet it manages to have a dining table for 4. You would get little more walking space but considerably less privacy if you remover the wall in them-class CS.

If you did just remove the wall in the M-class CS, it would leave the bathroom in a strange place!

Edited by Project_gal