Tips I wish I had known

cruisingberger

After researching these boards for a couple of months before we cruised recently on Infinity, I felt very prepared for our Panama Canal cruise and honestly I was. Still there were a couple of items that I wish I had known and prepared for better, so I thought I would share the few things I would have done differently and hope someone else can benefit from my experience.

First, the hairdryer. I wish I had brought my own. The reason? The hairdryer requires that you press a button the entire time it is in use. That would have been fine in my younger days, but with the arthritis I now suffer from, I was unable to use it. My poor DH had to dry my hair for me. I'm sure this isn't a problem for most, but it you suffer from arthritis in your hands, bring your own.

Secondly, the beds on this ship are hard! Wish I had requested the egg crate on the first day. Check the bed when you get to the cabin so that you know if it is a good fit for you right away.

Third, I would have stuck to shore excursions with no more then 20 people. All of the shore excursions we were on had a large bus full and it definitely affected our enjoyment.

Lastly, If you enjoy a deal and don't have a beverage package= look for the "Daily Pour"- It is listed in your Celebrity Today and it is a $5 craft cocktail that changes daily.

We really did have an amazing time on our cruise! This stuff was trivial, just information hoping to enhance your cruise . Happy Cruising to all!:D

After researching these boards for a couple of months before we cruised recently on Infinity, I felt very prepared for our Panama Canal cruise and honestly I was. Still there were a couple of items that I wish I had known and prepared for better, so I thought I would share the few things I would have done differently and hope someone else can benefit from my experience.

First, the hairdryer. I wish I had brought my own. The reason? The hairdryer requires that you press a button the entire time it is in use. That would have been fine in my younger days, but with the arthritis I now suffer from, I was unable to use it. My poor DH had to dry my hair for me. I'm sure this isn't a problem for most, but it you suffer from arthritis in your hands, bring your own.

Secondly, the beds on this ship are hard! Wish I had requested the egg crate on the first day. Check the bed when you get to the cabin so that you know if it is a good fit for you right away.

Third, I would have stuck to shore excursions with no more then 20 people. All of the shore excursions we were on had a large bus full and it definitely affected our enjoyment.

Lastly, If you enjoy a deal and don't have a beverage package= look for the "Daily Pour"- It is listed in your Celebrity Today and it is a $5 craft cocktail that changes daily.

We really did have an amazing time on our cruise! This stuff was trivial, just information hoping to enhance your cruise . Happy Cruising to all!:D

Yes, the hair dryer is a pain to use. Some people bring a wide rubber band and use it to keep the button down. I haven't done that, as I just deal with it. I like to keep my suitcase as light as possible.

I keep forgetting to ask for the egg crate.

I book my own private tours and keep the group to 8 or 12 total. Much better than a ship's tour.

Monica

Yes, the hair dryer is a pain to use. Some people bring a wide rubber band and use it to keep the button down. I haven't done that, as I just deal with it. I like to keep my suitcase as light as possible.

I book my own private tours and keep the group to 8 or 12 total. Much better than a ship's tour.

Monica

Love the tip about the rubber band - we also like to pack as light as possible.

Agree completely about ship's tours. Not only are the groups smaller and the quality higher, you can usually customize even on tour day. Best of all, they usually cost less.

Glad you enjoyed the cruise.

We use a strip of velcro for the hairdryer. Works great.

We do not take the big excursions on the bus with 40-50 people, too much time wasted loading and unloading. BTW, the excursions organized by roll call people are the best usually small and cost less.

We like hard beds so haven't needed a crate. Thank you for taking the time to post the things you wish you had done.

I'm new to cruising also do you get pool towels which you can also use on trips? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, your room attendant will leave towels in your room the evening before your port call. Just leave the used towels in the room when you return and they will be replenished for the next port.

Enjoy your cruise :)

These are great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Funny that you mention that! On our cruise on Connie in February, we received a mid cruise comment card asking for feedback. I praised several of the crew. On the bottom there was a spot asking what X could do to make our cruise more enjoyable. Although I had brought my own hairdryer, I commented that the push button dryer you referred to would be difficult for guests with long hair or hand difficulties and another type that would stay on would be preferable. The next day, while dressing for dinner, our cabin phone rang. Since DH was in the shower and we were cruising alone, I couldn't imagine who could be calling. It was the Concierge. She had read my comment and was calling to tell me that she checked all over the ship and even in the suites and the pushbutton dryer was the only type onboard. She then really impressed me by offering me the use of her PERSONAL hairdryer for the remainder of the cruise! Since I did have my own, I declined her amazing offer, assuring her that I only offered it as a suggestion for others who had the problems I mentioned above and thanked her a LOT! I thought that was pretty amazing, first that anyone actually read my comment, and second that she acted upon it. In retrospect, I'm guessing that they probably use that type of dryer as a fire hazard precaution against the dummy that might leave it on. Most curling irons and flat irons have auto shut off features, but most hairdryers don't.

Funny that you mention that! On our cruise on Connie in February, we received a mid cruise comment card asking for feedback. I praised several of the crew. On the bottom there was a spot asking what X could do to make our cruise more enjoyable. Although I had brought my own hairdryer, I commented that the push button dryer you referred to would be difficult for guests with long hair or hand difficulties and another type that would stay on would be preferable. The next day, while dressing for dinner, our cabin phone rang. Since DH was in the shower and we were cruising alone, I couldn't imagine who could be calling. It was the Concierge. She had read my comment and was calling to tell me that she checked all over the ship and even in the suites and the pushbutton dryer was the only type onboard. She then really impressed me by offering me the use of her PERSONAL hairdryer for the remainder of the cruise! Since I did have my own, I declined her amazing offer, assuring her that I only offered it as a suggestion for others who had the problems I mentioned above and thanked her a LOT! I thought that was pretty amazing, first that anyone actually read my comment, and second that she acted upon it. In retrospect, I'm guessing that they probably use that type of dryer as a fire hazard precaution against the dummy that might leave it on. Most curling irons and flat irons have auto shut off features, but most hairdryers don't.

This post is not about the hair dryer at all. It's about the top notch service you received, and it is so refreshing to read. Thank you for posting such a positive experience.

Wish I had known about egg crates...our bed was extremely hard...my only criticism of the cabin. Do they always have them available?

Not all the ships have eggcrate now due to fire hazard, but I always ask for them. If not avail your room attendant will provide an extra comforter to be placed on top of the mattress....works a treat!... :)

My secret to comfy, sleep filled nights on board... so don't tell anyone!! lol ;):cool:

I bring a pop up mesh laundry basket that folds flat. Fits perfect in my suit case. I always bring my own hair dryer, theirs do not help at all.

I bring a three electric outlet not a strip. Post-its to leave notes in the room.

Pictures of important stuff on my phone in case I need info.

Tall travel cup, so I can have a large drink from my room and not keep going back to fill up. Just think it wont spill if the ships really rocking. Ha Ha

Carry crossbody bag just large enough to carry that days items. Never know when you need both hands for an impromptu dance or game.

I bring a small magnified mirror for the look behind the hair and up close at the eyes when getting ready. I bring hair pieces to get ready fast.

Water wallets are handy.

I make a spreadsheet of the week for packing , each port, time etc and pencil in the clothes and accessories so I don't over pack.

What do folk mean by egg crates?

(We found the bed comfortable but am just confused by what an egg crate might be. You don't mean an actual egg crate do you?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a foam mattress topper that has the look of a carton into which eggs fit...hence the name!:)

I have used a collapsible box that I store in the fronts of the suit cases and put sock and underwear in them in the cabinets above the bed as there are no drawers in the side tables on the X. The other thing to bring is the fridge magnet holders for all paper work as the walls are steel.:):):)