Tips I wish I had known

cruisingberger

I have used a collapsible box that I store in the fronts of the suit cases and put sock and underwear in them in the cabinets above the bed as there are no drawers in the side tables on the X. The other thing to bring is the fridge magnet holders for all paper work as the walls are steel.:):):)

I use packing cubes instead of collapsible box and I like using cubes to keep my suitcase organized (double duty). A nice shopping/gift bag would also do and I don't need to bring the bag home. Paper Management - I usually shuffle all the Celebrity provided binders/folders to a drawer and discard dailies each day. Reuse small envelopes and note cards for organizing receipts/extra gratuities, notes, etc. Papers which need to be saved can go into my phone with a "scanner" app or into the drawer.

One of the less usual items I bring is a half "page" of thin craft foam if the shower has wire baskets. My travel bottles never stand well on the wire slats and fall over. Cut some craft foam or embroidery plastic grid to fit the shower. Otherwise invert the Celebrity provided bottles and wedge the v into the grid to hold up your regular bottles. Pet peeve solved. Now I wish I could find a 100% foolproof way to get shower curtains to stop sticking to me other than going S or M AQ+ only :)

Ever stood at the end of a corridor and felt a bit intimidated by the rows of cabins ahead of you and wondered if you will ever try to get into the wrong cabin.? A way of solving this is to purchase a small car door magnet from Vistaprint. It can contain a picture of your choosing and can be used cruise after cruise. All cabin doors are metal so it will stick with no problem Cost about $8 sometimes less on special

I always bring a battery operated tap light to put on the vanity in the bathroom. Using the tap light eliminates the bright light for those middle of the nights trips to the bathroom. I will not travel anywhere without a tap light for the bathroom.

Edited by coffeebean

Not all the ships have eggcrate now due to fire hazard, but I always ask for them. If not avail your room attendant will provide an extra comforter to be placed on top of the mattress....works a treat!... :)

My secret to comfy, sleep filled nights on board... so don't tell anyone!! lol ;):cool:

My lips are sealed, but filing the info away for future reference, thank you

I always bring a battery operated tap light to put on the vanity in the bathroom. Using the tap light eliminates the bright light for those middle of the nights trips to the bathroom. I will not travel anywhere without a tap light for the bathroom.

Our bathroom on Silhouette had a dim light at night time. Took us a few days to figure it out, but it was awesome!

The one thing I always bring is my "hair turban". All ships have a hand towel or a bath towel but never the in between size that most woman use to wrap their wet hair in after washing. My hair turban is perfect and hangs on the hook on the bathroom door.

Please explain how it works. DH and I will be on the Reflection soon. Thanks.

Not sure "how it works", but it was a very dim light that stayed on automatically. There was no switch.

I do not like light at night but was very comfortable leaving the door open; one could easily shut the door if desired. It provided just enough light to make a trip to the bathroom safe.

Edited by sippican

Not sure "how it works", but it was a very dim light that stayed on automatically. There was no switch.

I do not like light at night but was very comfortable leaving the door open; one could easily shut the door if desired. It provided just enough light to make a trip to the bathroom safe.

I think our bathrooms had two levels of brightness, a full day-time one and a night light version. If I remember correctly if you push the top half of the switch it would be the nightlight version, the bottom was full force light. Toward the end of our cruise the dimmer version quit working.

After researching these boards for a couple of months before we cruised recently on Infinity, I felt very prepared for our Panama Canal cruise and honestly I was. Still there were a couple of items that I wish I had known and prepared for better, so I thought I would share the few things I would have done differently and hope someone else can benefit from my experience.

[ ]

Secondly, the beds on this ship are hard! Wish I had requested the egg crate on the first day. Check the bed when you get to the cabin so that you know if it is a good fit for you right away.D

We found the beds on our Celebrity and RC ships to be significantly harder than the beds on our HAL ships. But I still had no trouble sleeping - I love sleeping in a dark, inside cabin when the ship is gently rocking.

I always ask for the egg crate first thing or have used the comforter method under the bottom sheet as well.

I bring several magnetic bulldog clips to hold the dailies, invitations and other paper stuff I want to keep off the desk. They hand well on the metal walls.

I also bring a yellow highlighter so that when I see something on the daily sheet, I highlight it for ease of finding later.

I bring a couple of bungee cords to either hold drawers closed when sailing in rough waters or balcony doors open.

I bring a battery operated tea light and put one in the bathroom at night. It glows enough to see when I need to get up in the middle of the night. It weighs next to nothing and packs easily.

Monica

I now do this, too! a 2 pack of the battery tea lights (your choice of flickering or steady) can be found at the dollar store.

Other life savers for me: pop up hamper, a few kitchen sized garbage liners (to separate dirties on the way home) and a few gallon sized ziplocs for excursions (to hold wet bathing suits, sweating water bottles, etc.)

Different strokes for different folks.....as long as you don't remove the auto tips (unless of course you received horrible service....I mean REALLY horrible service) do what YOU are comfortable with....

:confused: Were you thinking you were replying to a different thread on gratuities instead of this being suggestions for other cruisers?

Write your credit card numbers and the phone numbers on a piece of paper, in case your cards are stolen/misplaced. Put that paper in your safe and destroy it when you leave. Most people have no clue who to call if their card is lost or stolen....but then it's too late.