U.S. Passport Renewal Processing Time as of 6/29/17

Fathom5

My wife received her newly renewed passport today (6/29/17). The application was mailed on 6/16/17 via USPS Priority Mail, with routine processing requested. I was impressed with the quick turnaround time. I don't know if this is typical or not, but here's a data point if anyone is interested.

David

My wife received her newly renewed passport today (6/29/17). The application was mailed on 6/16/17 via USPS Priority Mail, with routine processing requested. I was impressed with the quick turnaround time. I don't know if this is typical or not, but here's a data point if anyone is interested.

David

It took about 10 days for me. I did the routine processing method. Very pleased.

I took mine to the post office on tuesday and I was told to expect 4-6 weeks turn around time. I would be really impressed if i got it back sooner than 4 weeks. We travel the end of October and not in a hurry any way. It expired this coming december if it matters.

I took mine to the post office on tuesday and I was told to expect 4-6 weeks turn around time. I would be really impressed if i got it back sooner than 4 weeks. We travel the end of October and not in a hurry any way. It expired this coming december if it matters.

Also submitted ours at the post office for routine processing. Received new passports in the mail after 5 weeks.

My passport expired years ago so I've been using my birth certificate instead. Since we are cruising to South America in January 2019, I decided to get a new one. My library ordered it for me saying it would arrive in 4-6 weeks. I was amazed to get it less than 3 weeks later. They still haven't returned my birth certificate yet though. Is that normal?

My passport expired years ago so I've been using my birth certificate instead. Since we are cruising to South America in January 2019, I decided to get a new one. My library ordered it for me saying it would arrive in 4-6 weeks. I was amazed to get it less than 3 weeks later. They still haven't returned my birth certificate yet though. Is that normal?

Completely normal. They do not mail the birth certificate back in the same envelope with the new passport. I think my son's old passport and birth certificate arrived 2 days after his new passport (which was sent overnight - expedited - as we leave for our cruise in 3 weeks).

Mailed my husband's passport renewal in March. After I mailed it I noticed that if you wear glasses you need to remove them for your photo. My husband's photo had his glasses on. I really sweated about what would happen. 2 weeks later the new passport arrived with his glasses on. No problem

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my passport renewal off via priority mail, standard processing requested on June 14. I asked for both the book and a card. I received the new passport on June 26 and the old passport and the card arrived on June 29th in two more separate mailings. Interestingly, although I mailed the renewal to Philadelphia, PA, the new passport for me was mailed and issued from Charleston, SC and DH's passport, although mailed to Philadelphia, PA was mailed and issued from Portsmouth, NH. That also may account for the time difference in receiving them. Apparently, the Philadelphia office receives the applications and distributes them to various offices around the country for processing depending on workload. We live in the suburban Philadelphia area BTW.

We just got ours back. It took about 3 weeks.

One thing that we noticed was that the new renewal is from the time it was issued and not 10 years from the expiration date on our old one. We are cheated out of 6 months. 🤔 🤑

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

One thing that we noticed was that the new renewal is from the time it was issued and not 10 years from the expiration date on our old one. We are cheated out of 6 months. 🤔 🤑

It has been that way as far back as I can remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine expires in December and I decided to get global entry so expedited the renewal. I sent it in last Thursday priority mail. When I track it is shows that it's still at the post office since yesterday morning so who really knows where it is? We are sailing in September so hopefully I can get it back quick, apply for global entry and get my interview before then!!