Is the Sun scheduled to be refurbished?

Stockjock

In another thread, a woman said the Norwegian Sun was going to be refurbished in April 2016. I can't find info on that anywhere. There is an April 29th stop in San Francisco that could be a quick upgrade, but no idea if that's going to happen and again, no evidence of dry dock.

I was last on the Sun in early 2008 and from what I've seen, it could definitely use some upgrading.

Anyone heard anything about a possible refurbishing of the Sun?

In another thread, a woman said the Norwegian Sun was going to be refurbished in April 2016. I can't find info on that anywhere. There is an April 29th stop in San Francisco that could be a quick upgrade, but no idea if that's going to happen and again, no evidence of dry dock.

I was last on the Sun in early 2008 and from what I've seen, it could definitely use some upgrading.

Anyone heard anything about a possible refurbishing of the Sun?

I heard or read somewhere it was having one early in 2016. Lots of rumours about what is being done, but I'm unsure. I am sailing on the Sun in January so I can always ask and let you know. There's probably someone out there though that knows more about it than me.

karoo, can you reschedule Sun til AFTER Refurb?

We were on Sun in May & it is Tired! Needs refurb badly.

Vent in our cabin so LOUD could hardly sleep.

Bathroom vent also loud.

AC blasted us so much (and this was Alaska cruise, we didn't Need AC)

I got a bad sinus infect going home. Seemed alot of sickies onboard.

It was one thing after another.

Maybe it will be better after Refurb?

Or I would skip it altogther.

Too many other NICE ships. Good luck.

I would prefer to go before the refurb, because I also read a rumour that the observatory lounge might be turned into suites. Not sure if that is planned or not. That's a deal breaker for me. That's why I don't cruise on the Star or Dawn. I love that area of the ship. I do book a balcony, but I love the views from the observatory or Spinnaker on the jewel class ships. Besides, I've waited a while to do the South American itinerary and I'm impatient. Not sure I'll be using the Aircon- [emoji6]I think it could be cold[emoji6] I'm always adjusting the temperature up in my cabin on cruises. Hoping I don't get sick. I've never had the flu. Hopefully this trip won't be the first time.

Edited by karoo

I would prefer to go before the refurb, because I also read a rumour that the observatory lounge might be turned into suites. Not sure if that is planned or not. That's a deal breaker for me. That's why I don't cruise on the Star or Dawn. I love that area of the ship. I do book a balcony, but I love the views from the observatory or Spinnaker on the jewel class ships. Besides, I've waited a while to do the South American itinerary and I'm impatient. Not sure I'll be using the Aircon- [emoji6]I think it could be cold[emoji6] I'm always adjusting the temperature up in my cabin on cruises. Hoping I don't get sick. I've never had the flu. Hopefully this trip won't be the first time.

There will be NO change to the Lounge except new carpeting.

Our understanding is that the nice forward observation decks/lounges will not be changed to suites for ships that sail Alaska, given that the view is such an important part of that particular cruise.

Our first NCL cruise was on the Dawn, and we had one of those amazing DOS suites right over the bridge (including the part that sticks out so we could see, just like the bridge crew, all the back down the side of the ship).

The view was *amazing* - from lying in the bed, we could see the water in front of us in the moonlight.

(But there is no balcony.)

At the time, we heard a lot of complaints about the loss of that forward Spinnaker lounge for these new suites and some insides, but we didn't "understand".

Well, NOW we definitely understand, after being on the Pearl next.

That original (forward) Spinnaker lounge was huge and bright, with windows all around, except the rear wall of course.

BUT THE VIEW... for an Alaska cruise?

Wow - it would be just perfect.

And the new location of the Spinnaker lounge on the Dawn was very dark and not particularly appealing.

NCL would be making a huge mistake (not that they asked us!) if they took out the Spinnakers in Pearl/Jewel or the similar Observation deck on the Sun if they plan to continue using those ships for Alaska.

GeezerCouple

karoo, can you reschedule Sun til AFTER Refurb?

We were on Sun in May & it is Tired! Needs refurb badly.

Vent in our cabin so LOUD could hardly sleep.

Bathroom vent also loud.

AC blasted us so much (and this was Alaska cruise, we didn't Need AC)

I got a bad sinus infect going home. Seemed alot of sickies onboard.

It was one thing after another.

Maybe it will be better after Refurb?

Or I would skip it altogther.

Too many other NICE ships. Good luck.

I have been on 5 cruises since January and come home with pneumonia 4 times. Doesn't matter what ship. It all depends on whether you're "lucky" enough to have someone who selfishly boards the ship and spews and sputters in your air space.:rolleyes:

Edited by davesgirl51

Can you let us know where you found this info? I too was curious as I saw the original thread about it being refurbished. We are on the Sun in May.

I had dinner with Senior Sun staff and the lady who is the Project Supervisor for The Sun in late September off this year. I have know the lady for a while and the dinner conversation was The Sun's dry dock and what would and would not be done. Other new carpet and safety lights, nothing else was on the Lounge's list. I very specifically asked about the Lounge.

Is that the only re-furb? what about cabins (balcony), etc. thanks! Thinking of going Oct.'16..We like smaller ships...any and all info about this is appreciated.

TYIA.

She had a long list of things to be done.

We mostly talked about the Lounge and turning some of the Inside cabins into Studio Units and a few other things.

Our understanding is that the nice forward observation decks/lounges will not be changed to suites for ships that sail Alaska, given that the view is such an important part of that particular cruise.

Our first NCL cruise was on the Dawn, and we had one of those amazing DOS suites right over the bridge (including the part that sticks out so we could see, just like the bridge crew, all the back down the side of the ship).

The view was *amazing* - from lying in the bed, we could see the water in front of us in the moonlight.

(But there is no balcony.)

At the time, we heard a lot of complaints about the loss of that forward Spinnaker lounge for these new suites and some insides, but we didn't "understand".

Well, NOW we definitely understand, after being on the Pearl next.

That original (forward) Spinnaker lounge was huge and bright, with windows all around, except the rear wall of course.

BUT THE VIEW... for an Alaska cruise?

Wow - it would be just perfect.

And the new location of the Spinnaker lounge on the Dawn was very dark and not particularly appealing.

NCL would be making a huge mistake (not that they asked us!) if they took out the Spinnakers in Pearl/Jewel or the similar Observation deck on the Sun if they plan to continue using those ships for Alaska.

GeezerCouple

They actually did that to the Star when it was sailing Alaska. It was like that for one or two seasons. We too had one of the same types of rooms in Alaska as you did on Dawn.

Thanks again. Wondering if they have any plan of putting in O'Sheehan's and/or a cigar bar. Nice option for a snack around 4ish. The other place is open 5ish and too close to dinner. Just curious....have a great day!

Actually the Sun has a Sports Bar that is similar to O'Sheehans on other ships. It is usually open late afternoon and evenings. I actually prefer the Sun's SB to O'S. It has the same menu.

There is a CIGAR bar near one of the bars, but it is not utilized for smoking purposes. It is not enclosed. It looks out of place.

thanks, the only drawback to the SB is it's only open around 5ish till 10ish which doesn't really help us. sometimes looking for a snack around 3:30-4. No worries, it's all fine. what's the sense of a 'cigar' bar, if you can't smoke there. wasted space, really.

thanks, the only drawback to the SB is it's only open around 5ish till 10ish which doesn't really help us. sometimes looking for a snack around 3:30-4. No worries, it's all fine. what's the sense of a 'cigar' bar, if you can't smoke there. wasted space, really.

I believe the reason the cigar bar was no longer used was the matter of confinement and ventilation. So, I guess it came down to that.

I think the SB was open earlier on sea days? Or am I imagining it?

The Sun also has a tapas bar and Great Outdoors.