MSC Seaside Interior Renderings

Mikesa1721

I was wondering why there was a lull in the construction. Is this vacation break a Europe-wide thing? I.e., Saint-Nazaire shipyard affected as well?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I think it is a Fincantieri thing,,,work on Meraviglia seemed to still progress at STX France,,:D

Mike ... Thanks for posting, is that bow section for another ship? Looks a bit small to be for Seaside, the aft cabins are coming along.

I don't think so Sid,,,,it matches up to the paint lines to those in this pic of the bow thrusters,,,

MSC%20Seaside%20Bow%20thrusters_zpslqysmio5.jpg

Edited by Mikesa1721

First, thanks to all for the photos. Amazing process.

Now, stupid question time.

Regarding the bow thrusters, the size of those things look enormous, and I guess you need the horsepower to move that big mutha of a ship but....what effect do those three(?) through hull tunnels have on the overall drag of the hull?

I'm just thinking a whole crap ton of turbulence would be created there when the ship is in "cruise" mode.

First, thanks to all for the photos. Amazing process.

Now, stupid question time.

Regarding the bow thrusters, the size of those things look enormous, and I guess you need the horsepower to move that big mutha of a ship but....what effect do those three(?) through hull tunnels have on the overall drag of the hull?

I'm just thinking a whole crap ton of turbulence would be created there when the ship is in "cruise" mode.

It's hidden behind the scaffolding,,but MSC Seaside has 4 bow thrusters. Found a good article which sheds a bit of light on the subject of bow thruster drag on a ship,,Page 447 describes this affect

:http://www.sname.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=bd29425f-1c92-4519-8206-e0f256c3fdda. The article suggests that drag would be decreased by the use of conical fairings around each of the duct openings which you can clearly see in the photo. I also think the bulbous bow will help as well while the ship is at cruising speeds,,,

It's hidden behind the scaffolding,,but MSC Seaside has 4 bow thrusters. Found a good article which sheds a bit of light on the subject of bow thruster drag on a ship,,Page 447 describes this affect

:http://www.sname.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=bd29425f-1c92-4519-8206-e0f256c3fdda. The article suggests that drag would be decreased by the use of conical fairings around each of the duct openings which you can clearly see in the photo. I also think the bulbous bow will help as well while the ship is at cruising speeds,,,

Dammit, left all my engineering math in another thread. But I get the drift. Actually an interesting article. Never considered the flow on the intake side.

I've never quite got my head around the physics of the bulbous bow either. Found some articles, seemed more like "can't hurt, might help."

From memory doesn`t the bulbous bow create a void by pushing water sideways to help the ship move through the sea without creating the previous drag of older ships without one. The BB can also be filled with water to help pull the ship lower into the sea to help with stability.

Also the hull shape design is used to minimise this effect as well,some of the North sea tug boats have the X bow which also minimises this effect.

Strange that Aida and Costa have now gone for a bow that makes the front look like a WW1 battleship on their new designs!

Latest photos from MSC Fans.it

14203464_1255658997800900_88862410_o_zps1mymavrl.jpg

14215207_1255659127800887_216205264_o_zpsjuknlyty.jpg

Bottom right where the White block is looks like the start of the Deck 9 wide balconies.

14215397_1255659021134231_504916223_o_zpst2scnoja.jpg

14215751_1255658494467617_1763314471_o-Copia_zpswow69ndg.jpg

Progress!!!! The installation of MSC Seaside's duck tail,,,Many thanks to Kevin DeLorenzo at MSCFANS.IT for the great photo!!!

Ducktail%20Installation_zpslxfn81ym.jpg

Edited by Mikesa1721

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like the Seaside will be ready for us in time (January 2018), but not Ocean Cay. Just saw the following tweet from MSC:

#MSCCruises official ground breaking ceremony of Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve set for Oct 6, destination to open to guests now in Oct 2018.

Bob

ps - Maybe they meant Oct 2017???

Edited by CTBob

Hi Bob ... I think its right because Seaside is supposed to be the first ship to stop there.
Unfortunately I just read that they are going to substitue Nassau for Ocean Cay until October 2018. I may try and change my reservation to 2019. Bob

Well it looks like the Seaside will be ready for us in time (January 2018), but not Ocean Cay. Just saw the following tweet from MSC:

#MSCCruises official ground breaking ceremony of Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve set for Oct 6, destination to open to guests now in Oct 2018.

Bob

ps - Maybe they meant Oct 2017???

Everything takes longer than expected in the Caribbean.

Edited by calgaryhhr