Tipping in the room...and treats for staff?

tartana

If someone were to leave tips on the bed, for example, would only the one cabin person get it? Or would it be shared between the 2 or more people that look after your room? Also, in all inclusive resorts in Caribbean countries, I often take good quality chocolates, etc and share them among the various helpful, friendly staff ( sometimes daily) Have any of you ever heard of anyone doing this on cruise ships? Would it be appreciated or do they always have "treats" of their own anyway. In the Caribbean, I have never found a staff member yet that wasn't thrilled, but I realize it's not the norm for them in those countries like it can be for some of ours. Just wondering opinions from regular cruisers :)

You are very well intentioned and that's to be commended, but I really think the only "treat" that staff are looking for is cash. And while folks to whom you've given chocolate may have been "thrilled," what other reaction would you expect them to give a paying guest?

As for the cash, we bring thank you cards, we write a note to each recipient, put the money in there, and give them out. No doubt then about who has gotten it. A cruise ship is not like a hotel where you may never see the housekeeper. You'll see your cabin attendants.

I agree, cash is aways the best option. They can send it home or buy what they need. There are a few envelopes in the binder on the desk or you can go to guest relations and get envelopes. Your room steward will introduce himself on the first day and you can ask him his assistants name. We give them an envelope on the last day or before we leave the ship.

Edited by ozark74

Your heart is in the right place. I'll can tell you from many personal experiences that the crew really like the small gifts, especially chocolate and cookies. We always take something if we know that a crew member is having a birthday. Now we are very frequent cruisers and have known many of the crew for many years. One cruiser,who is loved and deeply respected by the crew brings baseball caps and small gifts. They say that "Santa will be on their cruise". Just. treat people with respect and you will get much in return. Cash is King, but showing that you care beyond giving money is most appreciated.

You sound like a good, caring person.

And ..... the BEST treat you can give them is a nice comment on the card - both during your cruise and afterwards. Use their full name. I always get them to write it out for me at some point so I can get it correct on the card.

While your intentions are well meaning and good, giving them chocolate and other little gifts isn't what they want. Yes they'll smile and thank you. Of course. They are getting tips from you. You're the customer they're trained to smile and be nice to.

1. Tip in cash to each individual with their name on an envelope or hand it to them in person in a handshake (I know, silly and subtle but it's what DH does). 2. Mention them on the attention to detail card and evaluation forms. If you do this during the cruise they might even come back to thank you and tell you what sort of "treat" they got - like free internet time or phone calls, etc. THAT is better than any piece of chocolate in the world.

Your heart is in the right place. I'll can tell you from many personal experiences that the crew really like the small gifts, especially chocolate and cookies. We always take something if we know that a crew member is having a birthday. Now we are very frequent cruisers and have known many of the crew for many years. One cruiser,who is loved and deeply respected by the crew brings baseball caps and small gifts. They say that "Santa will be on their cruise". Just. treat people with respect and you will get much in return. Cash is King, but showing that you care beyond giving money is most appreciated.

thank you for the kind words....I know it seems very weird, but I know from experience how much the staff members in Cuba, Dominican Republic, even Mexico...LOVE good quality chocolates...Many times, they are "waiting" to see what I bring them the next day lol. And typically, good chocolate is not something they will ever spend their well earned money on (even if they can get it where they live). I still tip normally....the "treats" are just above and beyond :) I will have to "test the waters" (ha ha - pardon the pun) on the cruise ship and see how it is received.

Edited by tartana

And ..... the BEST treat you can give them is a nice comment on the card - both during your cruise and afterwards.....

1. Tip in cash to each individual with their name on an envelope or hand it to them in person in a handshake (I know, silly and subtle but it's what DH does). 2. Mention them on the attention to detail card and evaluation forms. If you do this during the cruise they might even come back to thank you and tell you what sort of "treat" they got - like free internet time or phone calls, etc. THAT is better than any piece of chocolate in the world.

Just in case you haven't heard, the "Attention to detail" cards have been reworded. Their intent now is to bring attention to any problems or incidents that have happened that the Hotel Director would like to know about BEFORE you get off the ship so that they may remedy it asap.

We wrote at the top of the cards that our intent was to highlight individuals for their exemplary service. :)

I agree, cash is aways the best option. They can send it home or buy what they need. There are a few envelopes in the binder on the desk or you can go to guest relations and get envelopes. Your room steward will introduce himself on the first day and you can ask him his assistants name. We give them an envelope on the last day or before we leave the ship.

Just to clarify, is there more than one steward per stateroom? (Not a suite) Only been on Royal C and have only had one person per room.

Just in case you haven't heard, the "Attention to detail" cards have been reworded. Their intent now is to bring attention to any problems or incidents that have happened that the Hotel Director would like to know about BEFORE you get off the ship so that they may remedy it asap.

This was our experience on the recent Equinox TA. We received the Attention To Detail in our cabin on the third or fourth day. It just so happened that we had an issue on the ship that day that we felt it would be appropriate to mention on the card. On the final day of the cruise DH went to Guest Services to ask for another card or two as there were several crew members we wanted to mention and praise. He was told that we'd have to use the card that was in the room and they couldn't give out any more cards. We thought perhaps this meant we would receive another card in our cabin at turndown that night but we didn't. Based on this it would appear that one card per stateroom will be distributed early in the cruise and the guest will have to choose to use it to either highlight any problems onboard OR to praise crew members.

This was our experience on the recent Equinox TA. We received the Attention To Detail in our cabin on the third or fourth day. It just so happened that we had an issue on the ship that day that we felt it would be appropriate to mention on the card. On the final day of the cruise DH went to Guest Services to ask for another card or two as there were several crew members we wanted to mention and praise. He was told that we'd have to use the card that was in the room and they couldn't give out any more cards. We thought perhaps this meant we would receive another card in our cabin at turndown that night but we didn't. Based on this it would appear that one card per stateroom will be distributed early in the cruise and the guest will have to choose to use it to either highlight any problems onboard OR to praise crew members.

We have had this, wher Attention to Detail cards have been in short supply, so i have written a short note (paper and envelopes normally in the back of the folder in the cabin) to the HD highlighting particular staff that have been a real credit to them and left it at guest relations.

If staff go that extra mile for me the few minutes writing a note to the Hotel Director is deserved.

We have had this, wher Attention to Detail cards have been in short supply, so i have written a short note (paper and envelopes normally in the back of the folder in the cabin) to the HD highlighting particular staff that have been a real credit to them and left it at guest relations.

That's a great idea and one I will remember for future use, thank you. I did get an opportunity to mention special crew members on the end of cruise online survey but I don't know if those comments are seen by Management at individual ship level.

We all know that tips are all important to staff. I am sure they do enjoy those little personal treats too though.

Last Easter we were on the Summit and took a box of those very British cream eggs. We gave them to our two room attendants, butler, conceirge and two bar staff who were looking after us.

All looked hapy we had thought of giving them a 'personal little treat'. The room attendant told us the next day that when he had met with his friends he was 'the only one to have been given an Easter Egg from his guests'.

Go for it, hand out your chocolates(as well as your tips), I think you are right, staff do love a personal touch, even on big cruise ships.

Leaving tips in the room is very impersonal. I hand an envelope to waiters on the last night and to the room staff on the final day. At that time I also express my appreciation for their service.

Different people may handle it in different ways, but my way works for me and seems to be more personal.

Edited by Orator

I find the differences in what should be standard practices across the fleet to be very odd. There were no "Attention to Detail" cards in our suite on the Summit. We went to Guest Relations and asked for at least 3 of the cards and they handed them over to us without any discussion at all.

If someone were to leave tips on the bed, for example, would only the one cabin person get it? Or would it be shared between the 2 or more people that look after your room? Also, in all inclusive resorts in Caribbean countries, I often take good quality chocolates, etc and share them among the various helpful, friendly staff ( sometimes daily) Have any of you ever heard of anyone doing this on cruise ships? Would it be appreciated or do they always have "treats" of their own anyway. In the Caribbean, I have never found a staff member yet that wasn't thrilled, but I realize it's not the norm for them in those countries like it can be for some of ours. Just wondering opinions from regular cruisers :)

We've not left the "tip" on the bed. We find the attendant & their asst. & hand it(envelopes) to them.

That must be the guy that looks like Gregg Allman. I think he also hands out flags from the crew's countries.

So important to fill in the questionnaire that is in your email after a cruise on Celebrity.

Here's the place to recognize hard working individuals that have made your cruise special. I understand this is how staff gets promoted with positive comments and ratings from happy passengers.

So important to fill in the questionnaire that is in your email after a cruise on Celebrity.

Here's the place to recognize hard working individuals that have made your cruise special. I understand this is how staff gets promoted with positive comments and ratings from happy passengers.

Can't fill it out if you don't get it. Off Infinity yesterday. No post-cruise questionnaire.

Linda

Can't fill it out if you don't get it.

Same for me -I didn´t receive the questionaire. Phoned Celebrity and was told that only some guests per cruise will receive it.

If Celebrity intends to only ask some of their guests then why do they tell people at least 2 times per day during the entire cruise how important it is to them that everybody answers the questionaire? Doesn´t feel right for me.

Edited by AntjeG

That does not feel right to me either. I keep a card in my pocket to write down names and positions of the crew. All have always been praise. If I am going to take the time on my vacation to keep up with the names, then I should be given a questionaire.

I know that I keep saying "I", but that is how "I" feel. :)

I always bring high quality individually wrapped chocolates. I put them in a Crown Royal velvet pouch. Those staff members that we've been fortunate to sail with before recognize the treat bag & comment on the chocolate lady is on board with big smiles (of course, I've been known to pass folding green items more than once or twice as well). I also carry a note cards& annotate names of truly exceptional folks (usually have quite a full card).

I always bring high quality individually wrapped chocolates. I put them in a Crown Royal velvet pouch. Those staff members that we've been fortunate to sail with before recognize the treat bag & comment on the chocolate lady is on board with big smiles (of course, I've been known to pass folding green items more than once or twice as well). I also carry a note cards& annotate names of truly exceptional folks (usually have quite a full card).

Yes, that's exactly the idea I'm talking about. Yes, I know cash is king, but they really do enjoy it in the places I'm used to going - Heck, I'd be excited in my workplace if someone gave me individually wrapped nice chocolate like Lindor or Ghirardelli, etc! lol