Harmony of the Seas will have some new competition

Biggest Cruise Ship in the World Announced by MSC Cruises

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/biggest-cruise-ship-in-the-world-announced-by-msc-cruises

worldsbiggestcruiseship.png

Competition is great for all consumers, but this article is wrong. Judging from the specs released from the article, MSC's new World Class ships will not be the biggest cruise ships in the world:

DIMENSIONS:

• MSC World Class: 1,082 ft by 154 ft
  • Harmony of the Seas: 1,188.1 ft by 155.6 ft

TONNAGE

• MSC World Class: 200,000 GRT
  • Harmony of the Seas: 226,963 GRT

PASSENGER CAPACITY:

• MSC World Class: 6,850 Guests
  • Harmony of the Seas: 6,780 Guests

Bottom line, their ships are big enough to compete against the Oasis Class but they are slightly smaller and hold slightly more people. Not sure what they mean by this though?

In addition, the World Class's "Y" shape will give the ships' balcony cabins more space

. Not sure what they mean by this though?

Like many MSC ships, the passenger per space ratio will be lower than RCI - it will be more crowded, at least on paper. In real life who knows - the ship is years away from reality.

I believe if you look closely, you will see that each deck/balcony projects out further than the deck below, so when looking from forward or aft, the ship is "Y" shaped. Not sure this is a good thing from a naval architecture and stability perspective.

It all depends on how you define "biggest". Yes, most passengers, but less gross tonnage.

That is one sleek looking ship. From the pic it looks like it doesn't have that much outdoor space. But looks can be deceiving.

i agree, but so far, this is an artist conception. Might be different when built.

MSC may not even be in business in 2022 or 2024.

The design "uniqueness" is created through a combination of a curved exoskeleton frame around a traditional set of decks.

As others have pointed out...the final version may not look like this (it's a rendering sketch), and appears to have some architectural challenges in terms of being seaworthy (stability and balance).

Oasis class is bigger in every dimensional way (and appears to blow this other design away with other activity features)...and carrying 70 more people could easily be overcome in Oasis 4,5, etc.

A rounded-off sardine can with cramped passengers is still a sardine can.

The design "uniqueness" is created through a combination of a curved exoskeleton frame around a traditional set of decks.

As others have pointed out...the final version may not look like this (it's a rendering sketch), and appears to have some architectural challenges in terms of being seaworthy (stability and balance).

Oasis class is bigger in every dimensional way (and appears to blow this other design away with other activity features)...and carrying 70 more people could easily be overcome in Oasis 4,5, etc.

A rounded-off sardine can with cramped passengers is still a sardine can.

What makes you think MSC could be out of business in 5-7 years?

What makes you think MSC could be out of business in 5-7 years?

The way they run their cruise line...

We were actually considering 2 different cruises they offered...until...we spoke to 4 different friends - all who tried them separately and shared how awful the service and food was...and their cabins are already tight...we prefer not to be sardine passengers thank you. If we wanted that kind of overall cruise experience...we'd sail Carnival.

I'm not sure whether MSC will be in business or not but what this makes very clear is that the business they want to be in is not the Panacea some of their proponents have been trying to make it sound like. This makes very clear that they are aiming not just for the mass market, but specifically for the massive part of the mass market and even more specifically that part of the mass market that we see in North America and perhaps in Asia much more so than what their proponents have been projecting, which is MSC as a cruise line with a European ethic. I think the MSC that we're seeing today is offering loss-leader cruises, cruises that seem like something new and different and passenger-forward. But it looks like they're getting ready to Milk The Cow. Once they've grabbed a good amount of market share they seem ready to aim to turn into Royal Caribbean Part 2.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I'm not sure whether MSC will be in business or not but what this makes very clear is that the business they want to be in is not the Panacea some of their proponents have been trying to make it sound like. This makes very clear that they are aiming not just for the mass Market, but specifically for the massive part of the mass Market. I think the MSC that we're seeing today is offering loss-leader cruises, cruises that seem like something new and different and passenger forward. But it looks like they're getting ready to Milk The Cow. Once they've grabbed a good amount of market share they aim to turn into Royal Caribbean Part 2.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You could be onto something there...kinda like being a bigger airline by having seats where your knees are under your chin... :eek:

I am looking forward to see the deckplans......Oasis class is sooo awful - there is a good chance this is way better!

(y)(y)

I know this isn't cool to say but I think Oasis is my favorite ship. There, I've said it.

The way they run their cruise line...

We were actually considering 2 different cruises they offered...until...we spoke to 4 different friends - all who tried them separately and shared how awful the service and food was...and their cabins are already tight...we prefer not to be sardine passengers thank you. If we wanted that kind of overall cruise experience...we'd sail Carnival.

Got to love the guy who knows it all but with zero first hand experience.

Using the "Friends told us" line and is now an expert.

Maybe give it a try then you will have a little credibility...

I don't quite get why people trying to come up with new designs think that creating something that looks like anything but a ship is the way to go. I still like being on a ship that looks like a ship. If the actual build looks anything like that concept picture I wouldn't be likely to want to book it no matter what they put inside of it.

Got to love the guy who knows it all but with zero first hand experience.

Maybe give it a try then you will have a little credibility...

We made no such claim as to knowing more than anyone else, but at least we have friends. :*

We value the opinions of people we know who have actual experience on actual ships, rather than blind internet posts. There are plenty of folks in MSC threads who echo those experiences.

In researching my own cruise purchases, I'd rather people respond to folks relaying with their friends have said with either a confirmation or a relaying of their own (contrary) experiences rather than turning to personal attacks because they didn't like what somebody else posted or simply that someone else posted.

I don't quite get why people trying to come up with new designs think that creating something that looks like anything but a ship is the way to go. I still like being on a ship that looks like a ship. If the actual build looks anything like that concept picture I wouldn't be likely to want to book it no matter what they put inside of it.
And I'm the opposite. I'm very attracted to cruise ships that innovate away that old cruising motif and instead offer me with the view of the sea but a completely modern venue from which to have that view.

Going back to our earliest cruises there was so little offered that piqued our interest other than the external factors being able to sit on a balcony and watch the sea go by and the fact that it stopped at interesting ports where we could do interesting things. I would love it if we could find as much interest in what the ship itself offered as we find in the ports of call.

And I see a lot of that beginning to happen. I'm still waiting for the first botanical gardens aboard a cruise ship. I know that the first IMAX theater, offering entertainment at night when the sea is just black, is already floating at sea but I haven't been on that ship yet. I've seen a very slight move away from activities like contract bridge and towards comparable activities in which more of today's (younger) passengers may choose to participate. I'm looking forward to Tandoor on Carnival Magic. I'm looking forward to Holland America's America's Test Kitchen offering. And I know my spouse is looking forward to music more in line with modern tastes.

And it doesn't matter to me that the old ethic still is served somewhere as long as the new ethic is also served. What I'm hoping is just for my interests to be served in the same way that I've seen other people's interests served for decades. We have no idea whether this new ship will do that but one can hope.

Edited by bUU

There is no comparison with RC Oasis class and the current newest MSC ships! I was on the Harmony this may and we were docked in two ports next to the MSC Divina and she looked kind of primitive to us next to our Harmony, there wasn't much outdoor deck space as the Oasis class all have and her slides surely were so primitive next to the Oasis class.

The only competition that I feel the Oasis class will have is the Celebrity ship coming out towards the end of next year named the Celebrity Edge and Celebrity is owned by RC so no competition there lol.

In researching my own cruise purchases, I'd rather people respond to folks relaying with their friends have said with either a confirmation or a relaying of their own (contrary) experiences rather than turning to personal attacks because they didn't like what somebody else posted it that someone else posted.

Indeed.

And I'm the opposite. I'm very attracted to cruise ships that innovate away that old cruising motif and instead offer me with the view of the sea but a completely modern venue from which to have that view.

Going back to our earliest cruises there was so little offered that piqued our interest other than the external factors being able to sit on a balcony and watch the sea go by and the fact that it stopped at interesting ports where we could do interesting things. I would love it if we could find as much interest in what the ship itself offered as we find in the ports of call.

And I see a lot of that beginning to happen. I'm still waiting for the first botanical gardens aboard a cruise ship. I know that the first IMAX theater, offering entertainment at night when the sea is just black, is already floating at sea but I haven't been on that ship yet. I've seen a very slight move away from activities like contract bridge and towards comparable activities in which more of today's (younger) passengers may choose to participate. I'm looking forward to Tandoor on Carnival Magic. I'm looking forward to Holland America's America's Test Kitchen offering. And I know my spouse is looking forward to music more in line with modern tastes.

And it doesn't matter to me that the old ethic still is served somewhere as long as the new ethic is also served. What I'm hoping is just for my interests to be served in the same way that I've seen other people's interests served for decades. We have no idea whether this new ship will do that but one can hope.

Interesting thoughts...I suspect you are not alone in those perspectives.

The worlds second largest shipping company going out of business, if this happens, we have a lot more to worry about then what a ship looks like!!!!

Edited by AWOL

The worlds second largest shipping company igoing out of business, if this happens, we have a lot more to worry about then what a ship looks like!!!!

I took that comment to mean MSC getting out of the North American passenger cruise business.