Another dress code question

caggfamily

We were on a Celebrity cruise in the Mediterranean this summer and we really enjoyed the evening chic dress code. We'll be on the Zuiderdam in December. What is the minimum dress code for men on formal nights? Can my husband get away with a dress shirt and tie or must he pack a jacket and dress shoes? We are trying to do carry-on luggage only and formal wear takes up a lot of room. We are traveling with my family and are expected to eat together each evening in the main dining room so we don't have the option of eating elsewhere.

There is no longer a "code" as is some standard of dress being required for entry into the MDR. Just suggestions, which have been loosely translated as anything anyone want to wear on any evening including "Gala" night.

I guess the line is drawn only at shorts, caps and open sleeve tee-shirts in the MDR. But I doubt if even that would be turned away, if someone insisted on service.

The MDR is lovely in its own right and somewhat formal in its ambiance -white table cloths, silver, uniformed waiters - dress what makes you feel comfortable in that setting.

HAL no longer has a formal night. There is a "Gala Night." The required dress code is the same on Gala Night as any other night. However HAL encourages passengers to dress up on Gala Nights.

So all that is required of your husband is a shirt with a collar and a pair of slacks.

Edited by Tom O.

HAL no longer has a formal night. There is a "Gala Night." The required dress code is the same on Gala Night as any other night. However HAL encourages passengers to dress up on Gala Nights.

So all that is required of your husband is a shirt with a collar and a pair of slacks.

OP, this is HAL's current policy:

CLOTHING

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . For ladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are all acceptable.

As you can see, there is a difference in dress code for Gala Nights.

OP, this is HAL's current policy:

As you can see, there is a difference in dress code for Gala Nights.

After checking the HAL site, I noticed that the definition of Smart Casual has changed slightly since I checked it last. Now Smart Casual allows jeans (without holes). But that is the only difference between Smart Casual and the minimum requirement for Gala Nights.

So you are right, there is a difference between the requirements of Gala and other nights. But it is an extremely small difference. And I am sure that if someone showed up at Gala Night with jeans, nobody would say anything.

The real issue is whether anyone has seen any "violation" of the suggested dress guidelines enforced or passengers turned away from the MDR. Or if anyone even tried to protest it.

We did 8 years ago when things were more formal, and it caused quite a ruckus. The head chef who was a huge guy came out as the "enforcer" and claimed they were ready to bounce the protesting passenger off the ship and banned him from the MDR for the rest of the cruise.

Well, that was then. Times and expectations changed. We see everything on Gala night and all other nights. Including tuxes and gowns. Sorry HAL says this is for people who "dress to impress" . No, we just like to do it for each other and to honor the setting and occasion on the high seas.

Even on formal Crystal we saw a guy come to dinner every night in cargo shorts. We asked about this since it appeared they were in fact strict about their guidelines. They just sighed, he was a very good passenger who spent a lot of money traveling solo.

Edited by OlsSalt

After checking the HAL site, I noticed that the definition of Smart Casual has changed slightly since I checked it last. Now Smart Casual allows jeans (without holes). But that is the only difference between Smart Casual and the minimum requirement for Gala Nights.

So you are right, there is a difference between the requirements of Gala and other nights. But it is an extremely small difference. And I am sure that if someone showed up at Gala Night with jeans, nobody would say anything.[/QUOTE]

We have seen folks in jeans be turned away a few times on Gala nights.

So you are right, there is a difference between the requirements of Gala and other nights. But it is an extremely small difference. And I am sure that if someone showed up at Gala Night with jeans, nobody would say anything.

You can also wear a t-shirt or other collarless shirt, but I agree, the differences are quite minor. As I never bring jeans of any description on cruises and only wear t-shirts at the beach or around the pool, for all practical purposes Smart Casual and Gala Nights are one and the same for me now, jackets and ties remaining at home.

You can also wear a t-shirt or other collarless shirt, but I agree, the differences are quite minor. As I never bring jeans of any description on cruises and only wear t-shirts at the beach or around the pool, for all practical purposes Smart Casual and Gala Nights are one and the same for me now, jackets and ties remaining at home.

Being a first time HAL cruiser in the near future, is it my understanding then that "dressy" T-shirts are allowed in the MDR? I generally wear them with slacks or khakis

Being a first time HAL cruiser in the near future, is it my understanding then that "dressy" T-shirts are allowed in the MDR? I generally wear them with slacks or khakis

What in the world is a "dressy" t-shirt? Is there also such a thing as an "undressy" t-shirt?

Hmmm:confused: Never heard of a dress t-shirt..Can you explain or can you find one on-line for us to see?

What in the world is a "dressy" t-shirt? Is there also such a thing as an "undressy" t-shirt?

LOL :confused:

We have a Friend who always wears T-shirts even with slacks & a jacket..Would that be considered a dressy one?

Was going to put DH's suit on our Caribbean clothes list for our Oct. cruise.. Guess we should re-think both our wardrobes, as it looks like a suit would be a bit too dressy even for the Pinnacle? What do most DH's wear when their wives want to dress up in long black skirts with fancy tops or a long plain dress for Gala night?

Edited by serendipity1499

On our last couple of cruises -- Gala Night -- men mostly wore slacks and a collar shirt -- no ties or jackets for most men.

Ladies wore nice dresses or slacks and nice tops.

Last winter I saw far more men with jackets than without on Gala night. And many of the men with jackets also wore ties. So it really can vary from cruise to cruise.

Bedazzling????

I thought men were expected to wear a collared shirt every night, but I checked HAL's website and it's vague as to what constitutes "smart casual."

This past June on the Veendam, a man In his 30's, traveling with what looked like an extended family group, came to the MDR on Gala night in a tee shirt and jeans. I didn't observe who asked him to leave, but I did see him return to the MDR wearing a collared button down shirt with his jeans. Someone said something to him.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wear silk and linen T-shirts from places like Tommy Bahama and Banana Republic. They are collarless shirts but look t-shirts - just nicer than cotton T's. I wear them alone or under a sports coat

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Herfnerd

My husband and I were on the Westerdam to Alaska a couple weeks ago. I think Alaska itineraries are a little more casual, simply because of the bulk of the cold weather clothing needed. On gala nights I really didn't see any men in anything more formal than a suit (DH wore a white dress shirt w a pull over sweater). I did observe a couple being offered a man's black jacket at the front podium. He was wearing (obviously) new denim overalls with an orange tee shirt underneath. The couple refused the jacket and left the MDR. It made me feel bad. He was probably a farmer with no need of anything more formal in his life than overalls, and this was his "Sunday Best". I'd bet that this was a bucket list trip for them that they had really scrimped and saved for and that this gala night rejection stung.

I wear silk and linen T-shirts from places like Tommy Bahama and Banana Republic. They are collarless shirts but look t-shirts - just nicer

No problem on Smart Casual nights, but on Gala nights you might or might not get a challenge. I suspect that the issue isn't the collar, or lack thereof, but some of the atrocious tees that some wear for their shock value. With or without their favourite backwards - or sideways - baseball cap! :rolleyes:

My husband and I were on the Westerdam to Alaska a couple weeks ago. I think Alaska itineraries are a little more casual, simply because of the bulk of the cold weather clothing needed. On gala nights I really didn't see any men in anything more formal than a suit (DH wore a white dress shirt w a pull over sweater). I did observe a couple being offered a man's black jacket at the front podium. He was wearing (obviously) new denim overalls with an orange tee shirt underneath. The couple refused the jacket and left the MDR. It made me feel bad. He was probably a farmer with no need of anything more formal in his life than overalls, and this was his "Sunday Best". I'd bet that this was a bucket list trip for them that they had really scrimped and saved for and that this gala night rejection stung.

That might be reading a lot into this incident. For another version, I would see this as how gracious he was to be redirected. My hat is off to him. Perhaps he merely had not read the notice about that particular evening.

Edited by OlsSalt

The MDR is lovely in its own right and somewhat formal in its ambiance -white table cloths, silver, uniformed waiters - dress what makes you feel comfortable in that setting.

Well said. Whether on a cruise or at home, if I'm going to go out for dinner, I dress appropriately for the venue. An effort is made to make the MDR a nice experience, the least a passenger can do is dress for the occasion. After all, how long does it take to change?

On the other hand there is always the Lido for those who don't want to 'go out' for dinner. We eat there when we've had a long day ashore and just want to get dinner over with.

No problem on Smart Casual nights, but on Gala nights you might or might not get a challenge. I suspect that the issue isn't the collar, or lack thereof, but some of the atrocious tees that some wear for their shock value. With or without their favourite backwards - or sideways - baseball cap! :rolleyes:

True. Guess I should have said that the Tees I wear don't have any pictures it saying on them

Sorry, but IMO, unless you personally spoke to this couple, I think you are projecting your own feelings onto this experience. You have no idea, other than you're own intuition, why this man was dressed the way he was. And there should be no reason for you to feel bad. He was offered a compromise, a borrowed jacket, and refused. You have no idea whether this couple scrimped and saved for the cruise or whether they won the lottery.

Nice to hear that ties are no longer required.

We were on the Veendam June 2015 and my DH wore a woven button down shirt and a jacket without a tie. The Maitre D, puled out a clip on tie and told him that ties were required in the dining room on Formal nights.

For our Med cruise coming up in October..no jacket..no tie.

Zuiderdam in December.

It can be very cool in Florida in December - it's the luck of the draw :D

My DH has a black sport jacket made for travel so it doesn't easily wrinkle. He takes it along as a back-up "sweater" for out on deck as well as having it available for gala nights.

Dh and I just cruised to alaska on Amsterdam.

We didn't do Gala night. On the other nights I wore black slacks and pretty tops, not sequined or that sort of style. Dh wore Docker-type pants and black polo shirt/collared. We looked fine in comparison to other folks. We don't really do fancy or have those types of things to wear.

At one large table with diners, all folks were dressed up, except one fella. He had on a red flannel shirt and his baseball cap. I had kind of thought that he should have taken off his cap, or that Holland would have asked him to. He looked out of place sitting with all of his family that were dressed up fancy.