Taking food back to your cabin.

Vera123

Queen Elizabeth query:

Room service aside, am I right in thinking that you can take food and drink (coffee/water etc) from the buffet back to the cabin?

Do people just wander out of the buffet and down the lift/stairs/corridor to the cabin with plates and cups in their hand ?

Edited by Vera123

Queen Elizabeth query:

Room service aside, am I right in thinking that you can take food and drink (coffee/water etc) from the buffet back to the cabin?

Do people just wander out of the buffet and down the lift/stairs/corridor to the cabin with plates and cups in their hand ?

You can do it, but I am not sure why you would want to.

Queen Elizabeth query:

...............we do it all the time.

Well they often do, but as you asked..... It does look a bit Naff when room service is available.

Might turn a blind eye to a mug of Tea/Coffee ( hopefully not for too long, as Tea making facilities are to be introduced)

You did ask, so please don't get offend. By the way there are no Trays ;)

Naff or not, I've done it. Usually, just a sweet or some tea-making supplies.

On our last cruise, I caught a cold and went to the buffet to get lemon and honey for my tea. It was a MAJOR expedition, as there was no lemon out, and the waiter--who said (haughtily) "Of COURSE we have lemon" looked in three spots on the buffet and couldn't find it, either. He eventually found it in a cold locker under a section of the buffet. Finding a little jar of honey was a whole other problem. But once I had my stash, I was able to stay in and take care o myself.

The room service menu is limited, and I HATE Kings Court--even the new version--so if I want a snack, I pick up something and get out of there. Thank goodness for the kettle in the room!

:D:D I have to agree with you 3rd GenCunarder ...I know exactly what you mean ...I caught the dreaded Cunard Cough a few months ago.... Thankful for the kettle in the room, but like you went hunting for the Lemon & Honey ...managed to find sliced lemon ok..... but after Midday, Honey is tucked 'well away' until the next days breakfast .... I had three chefs go hunting for it :D

Queen Elizabeth query:

People do it all the time!:)

That's good to hear. The room service menu is all pasta, bread and chips and if we want a snack we'd like something else. If we do go and get food from the buffet I'm sure we'll be discreet.

Is there a kettle in the Britannia balcony rooms on QE?

That's good to hear. The room service menu is all pasta, bread and chips and if we want a snack we'd like something else. If we do go and get food from the buffet I'm sure we'll be discreet.

Not yet.

That's the reason I asked too- we might want to eat in our cabin if the buffet is busy, and we want to choose our own food, portion size etc, but just thought we would have to pass lots of people on the way back lol.

I think we'll do a dummy run and suss out the fastest route back to the cabin :D

That's the reason I asked too- we might want to eat in our cabin if the buffet is busy, and we want to choose our own food, portion size etc, but just thought we would have to pass lots of people on the way back lol.

I think we'll do a dummy run and suss out the fastest route back to the cabin :D

If you don't wish to pass a whole lot of people on your actual food forage run, do the run at the after 11:00 pm midnight buffet. A few people bring food back to their cabins then, and the elevators and corridors mostly empty. And select your cabin one deck down from the buffet.

But then the food may have to be put into the fridge until the next day, etc. Well, you can't win 'em all.

Edited by tangoll
Added last sentence in 1st paragraph.

If you don't wish to pass a whole lot of people on your actual food forage run, do the run at the after 11:00 pm midnight buffet. A few people bring food back to their cabins then, and the elevators and corridors mostly empty. And select your cabin one deck down from the buffet.

But then the food may have to be put into the fridge until the next day, etc. Well, you can't win 'em all.

Thanks for that. I like the sound of 'food forage' lol.

We have a cabin 2 decks below- didn't want the footfall sound annoying me. Still pretty close though.

Queen Elizabeth query:

Why? You're on Cunard.

It's just naff, like carrying a drink into the MDR.

And not only that, carrying one of those 'Free Drinks' from the various cocktail receptions. Why would anyone enjoy drinking that cheap sparkling wine with their evening meal. :confused:

Because they don't want to waste it?

As for bringing food back to your room, if anyone finds it naff that's up to them. If someone wants to bring food back, it is no ones business but their own. As someone has pointed out, the room service menu is rather limited, unless you are in the Grills

And not only that, carrying one of those 'Free Drinks' from the various cocktail receptions. Why would anyone enjoy drinking that cheap sparkling wine with their evening meal. :confused:

Why? Because they think it gives the impression they have class, style and status. Sadly, they are deluded.

Also, most importantly to them, no need to spend.

Carrying one glass in (or giving it to the waiters ready with trays at the entrance) doesn't mean you are drinking it with your meal. I may have done it occasionally when on fixed dining but it doesn't last placing my order.

Why? Because they think it gives the impression they have class, style and status. Sadly, they are deluded.

Also, most importantly to them, no need to spend.

Wrong, again, just don't like to waste it.

I don't take food back to my cabin though.

Edited by Host Hattie

I deliberately buy a glass of wine from the bar before entering the MDR.

One has no idea how long it will take for the sommelier to arrive at your table and it is by no means unusual for your first course to arrive before your wine. I also enjoy drinking my "aperitif" whilst perusing the menu.

It certainly beats spending your first 10 minutes trying to attract the sommelier's attention.

I now discover that I am beyond the pale :(.

Edited by CABINET

When Cunard went from stocking Coca-colas to an all Pepsi ship, I started importing my own supply. While I didn't do in the evenings, after all I have some standards, I would bring my single coke of the day to the Queen's Grill for lunch.

My sommelier on the QV was terribly concerned that I wasn't satisfied with the service, which was not the case at all. When I assured him that I didn't want a glass or ice I would drink it from the bottle, he almost had a heart attack. I eventually had to enlist the help of Eduardo, the maître'd. He is from Columbia. He understood completely and intervened to the relief of the sommelier who was from Czechoslovakia, who was obviously concerned he would be criticized for not providing me with excellent service. Eduardo assured him it was a Caribbean/Sothern US kind of quirk,

Eduardo and I shared a bond. I am forever grateful that he helped me with the wifi in a coffee shop while we all were ashore in Ponte Delgada. We sat in the shop companionably, he drinking coffee, me drinking a coke, as we surfed the web for free and checked in at home. Such a nice man.

I deliberately buy a glass of wine from the bar before entering the MDR.

One has no idea how long it will take for the sommelier to arrive at your table and it is by no means unusual for your first course to arrive before your wine. I also enjoy drinking my "aperitif" whilst perusing the menu.

It certainly beats spending your first 10 minutes trying to attract the sommelier's attention.

I now discover that I am beyond the pale :(.

Alas it is too long since I was able to cruise (health concerns) but I could not resist joining Cabinet in this thread.

I always BOUGHT a glass of the wine of my choice in the Chart Room to take into the DR. for just Cabinet's reasons. it was not possible to get the wine of my choice BY THE GLASS in the DR., and getting any wine by the glass in there takes for ever. Once , when I tried that , the glass of wine arrived AFTER I had received my desert.

It is NOT "bad form" and it is not because the passenger carrying it is "Cheap".

Best wishes to all passengers, wish I could join you.

Alas it is too long since I was able to cruise (health concerns) but I could not resist joining Cabinet in this thread.

I always BOUGHT a glass of the wine of my choice in the Chart Room to take into the DR. for just Cabinet's reasons. it was not possible to get the wine of my choice BY THE GLASS in the DR., and getting any wine by the glass in there takes for ever. Once , when I tried that , the glass of wine arrived AFTER I had received my desert.

It is NOT "bad form" and it is not because the passenger carrying it is "Cheap".

Nice to see you post again, Jim's Girl. I hope you are doing well despite your health concerns.

Ricki

I know this post off subject but we had to say Hello and Welcome Jimsgirl (Lynn) back on the boards.

Beverly and I hope you are doing well. Did not know of your health concerns.

Ian and Jayne (Moffit) just came off the Christmas Cruise and we met them on their return. They asked of we heard from you.

We will try to keep in touch with you once again...

Thank you for allowing me to forward this message to Lynn (Jimsgirl)

Ed S.

Occasionally I have a drink I would like to take to the dining room. I am not sure why but I would not feel comfortable carrying a glass from room to room. It never had a problem asking a steward from the bar to take it for me. My drink usually arrives at my table just after me.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums