Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I feel sorry for the children and hope they have good family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.) who will help them get on with their lives.

As for the cabin, I wouldn't want to stay in it. Not because of the murder, though, but because it's a Dolphin Deck mini suite. I prefer the Caribe Deck balconies.

I would like to thank both of you and most of those that have posted here. We are all interested in what has happened. We are stunned that it would happen in a place that most of us think of as such a "happy place", and yet "Inside" we ALL know how stressful a vacation can be, especially one (as this one "may" have been with extended family included. It seems from the perpetrators comments (if accurate) that "she kept laughing at him". We all understand, that we are our spouses/partners #1 defender and especially in an "extended family" situation, when tension can get high, and some family members can very easily feel inferior, the spouse/partner should always be aware of the "other persons" feelings. This crime sounds like a terrible, terrible misunderstanding, hurt feelings can be a major thing. I think that most of us agree that is what "bulling" is about - hurting someone's feelings. I am so so sorry that this happened to this family, to any family. Children, men and women are now damaged for life and this poor woman is dead all over what was probably something she did not STOP to think about. He was hurt to the core and did not know how to tell her, she did not know how to listen, so she is dead! HOW PATHETIC!

"Children, men and women are now damaged for life and this poor woman is dead all over what was probably something she did not STOP to think about. He was hurt to the core and did not know how to tell her, she did not know how to listen, so she is dead! HOW PATHETIC!"

Seriously?! How on earth can you blame the victim?

• Like 1

I would like to thank both of you and most of those that have posted here. We are all interested in what has happened. We are stunned that it would happen in a place that most of us think of as such a "happy place", and yet "Inside" we ALL know how stressful a vacation can be, especially one (as this one "may" have been with extended family included. It seems from the perpetrators comments (if accurate) that "she kept laughing at him". We all understand, that we are our spouses/partners #1 defender and especially in an "extended family" situation, when tension can get high, and some family members can very easily feel inferior, the spouse/partner should always be aware of the "other persons" feelings. This crime sounds like a terrible, terrible misunderstanding, hurt feelings can be a major thing. I think that most of us agree that is what "bulling" is about - hurting someone's feelings. I am so so sorry that this happened to this family, to any family. Children, men and women are now damaged for life and this poor woman is dead all over what was probably something she did not STOP to think about. He was hurt to the core and did not know how to tell her, she did not know how to listen, so she is dead! HOW PATHETIC!

So it's the victim's own fault, and the poor man had no other choice than to murder her? That is the kind of twisted thinking that allows domestic violence to continue to be so prevalent. SMH.

• Like 1

Wow, you've truly made a lot of assumptions here. Did you know the couple to make such a statement? How do you know what happened? And finally you analyse the whole dreadful situation in just two words - HOW PATHETIC!! Who's the pathetic one here, certainly not the poor woman who is dead.

Wow, you've truly made a lot of assumptions here. Did you know the couple to make such a statement? How do you know what happened? And finally you analyse the whole dreadful situation in just two words - HOW PATHETIC!! Who's the pathetic one here, certainly not the poor woman who is dead.

pa·thet·ic

pəˈTHedik/

adjective

arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness

I think we can all agree the whole situation is "pathetic" for everyone involved. What actually happened (and how) are things we're not going to know until the arrested man goes to trial. Speculation is pointless. Maybe they'll do a feature on 20/20. That's always factual, right?

pa·thet·ic

pəˈTHedik/

adjective

arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness

I think we can all agree the whole situation is "pathetic" for everyone involved. What actually happened (and how) are things we're not going to know until the arrested man goes to trial. Speculation is pointless. Maybe they'll do a feature on 20/20. That's always factual, right?

rofl

I can't believe with all the comments on this thread that nobody has stopped to think that there is a chance that the husband was the victim of the domestic abuse and just finally snapped. Had the wife killed the husband this is the first thing everybody would have suggested. Anybody can be a victim of domestic abuse, male or female. Nobody should speculate until they have all the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do respect the fact that others may not want to stay in this cabin, but I can honestly say that it really wouldn't bother me. While the fact that domestic violence is such a horrific crime, it is no worse that gang violence or terrorism. Would people really stop going to the area where the Twin Towers were also blown to smithereens? Maybe so??

And, I truly believe that Princess stepped up to the plate with what I believe is a generous offer to those onboard (I read that it was $150 pp ... maybe this is hearsay, though?) I know some will disagree with this but there is never a guarantee of stopping at any port or even travelling up one of the fjords, for that matter, when on a cruise. Yet, I do have empathy for those that may have been celebrating a special occasion or scrimped and saved for the cruise of a lifetime....well, for all pax onboard. They all missed what is always the highlight of any Alaskan cruise ... the glacier. Even though Princess didn't have to come up with any type of compensation as this situation was so completely out of their control, they did so nevertheless. I am sure it was an attempt to comfort those onboard for their lost day or lure passengers back that might have otherwise chosen a different type of cruising in the future. I don't believe that Princess owes them anything more than that! They weren't negligent in any way for creating this horrific incident. It was a good will gesture that I applaud them their generosity.

My prayers go out for those girls. Their lives will be changed forever. So very sad! :(

D726 per the Today Show

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just read the FBI report.

Cabin D726 and D728 are adjoining.

Their children were traveling with them.

Jurisdiction is U.S. per 7-mile distance from Alaska (within 12 miles of US coast).

Husband attempted to throw her body overboard, in front of their friends. Friend(s) stopped him from doing that.

After reading about husband's actions following the fight, and him saying ironically "MY life is over", I feel very sad for her and her children (who were on board). What a complete tragedy.

I can't believe with all the comments on this thread that nobody has stopped to think that there is a chance that the husband was the victim of the domestic abuse and just finally snapped. Had the wife killed the husband this is the first thing everybody would have suggested. Anybody can be a victim of domestic abuse, male or female. Nobody should speculate until they have all the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's just be real here. While your comment may be well-meaning, it is not really grounded in statistical fact or reason. The vast majority of domestic violence is directed at women, not vice versa. So yes, people will naturally address the victim - in this case a woman who was by all accounts a lovely, wonderful person and great Mom who was brutally murdered by her much larger and clearly very angry husband who then tried to throw her body overboard. So, while I'm not denying anyone their presumption of innocence or day in court, I will vehemently argue against any scenario that even remotely tries to paint this woman - the victim who was bludgeoned to death - as anything other than that - the victim! It is tragic.

• Like 1

There are three phases in the cycle of Domestic Violence and it does not happen overnight:

•Tension building phase—Tension builds over common domestic issues like money, children or jobs. Verbal abuse begins. ...

•Acute battering episode—When the tension peaks, the physical violence begins. ...

•The honeymoon phase—First, the abuser is ashamed of his behavior.

and then it sadly repeats itself.

i do respect the fact that others may not want to stay in this cabin, but i can honestly say that it really wouldn't bother me. While the fact that domestic violence is such a horrific crime, it is no worse that gang violence or terrorism. Would people really stop going to the area where the twin towers were also blown to smithereens? Maybe so??

And, i truly believe that princess stepped up to the plate with what i believe is a generous offer to those onboard (i read that it was $150 pp ... Maybe this is hearsay, though?) i know some will disagree with this but there is never a guarantee of stopping at any port or even travelling up one of the fjords, for that matter, when on a cruise. Yet, i do have empathy for those that may have been celebrating a special occasion or scrimped and saved for the cruise of a lifetime....well, for all pax onboard. They all missed what is always the highlight of any alaskan cruise ... The glacier. Even though princess didn't have to come up with any type of compensation as this situation was so completely out of their control, they did so nevertheless. I am sure it was an attempt to comfort those onboard for their lost day or lure passengers back that might have otherwise chosen a different type of cruising in the future. I don't believe that princess owes them anything more than that! They weren't negligent in any way for creating this horrific incident. It was a good will gesture that i applaud them their generosity.

My prayers go out for those girls. Their lives will be changed forever. So very sad! :(

amen

Domestic Violence IS a mental health issue! When we start to realize that we can give TREATMENT vs PRISON

WOW! So, what you're saying is if this guy is brought to trial and found guilty he should be sent to treatment? I personally feel if someone murders another that person has to be mentally unstable so using that logic no one goes to prison for murder. Prisons have mental health professionals...let them receive their treatment there.

WOW! So, what you're saying is if this guy is brought to trial and found guilty he should be sent to treatment? .

I know this is cruise critic, and we all like to jump to conclusions, but it seems just a teeny bit early

to be deciding on the sentence.

Regarding the cabin numbers and peoples desire to know them and not to cruise in them, weather people like it or not those cabins are now tainted for the life of the ship. It will not matter if they are renumbered because their location on the deck plans will always be the same and people will always work out which cabin numbers they have been changed to. There are people who will rightfully so feel uneasy about staying in a cabin where a murder took place, even more so in various countries around the world there are laws that force real estate agents to notify a buyer if a murder or tragic event has happened in the house they are buying. These are the things that need to be considered.

Going further unfortunately due to gossip on these ships there will always be talk of the murder and people will always be pointing out the cabin it happened in and if anything like this happens it could make any future occupants distraught by 1.) being in the cabin and 2.) having the stigma attached to them that others will know they are in the cabin.

My thoughts on this are somewhat different. Given that at least two cabins that are balcony cabins have been tainted for the life of the ship there is another option that Princess could do if they were to pull the cabins from any future sale.

One option would be to tear out the two cabins entirely and turn it into a casual public space that is no longer private cabins. It could be something simple like a hidden away lounge area with balcony, card room, conference room or something completely different to a cabin. Of course the stigma will always be there and many will know why there are no longer cabins there but by doing this it removes a constant problem that will plague Emerald Princess for the rest of its service life. Removing a cabin from the inventory does not necessarily mean the space cannot be used. The ship is over capacity anyway compared to the original grand class and losing 8 passengers berths would be insignificant on a ship that can carry around 3,400 passengers.

Other uses could be crew space/training areas/classrooms for instruction and staff training.

I am sure there will be many options.

Unfortunately whether people like it or not that cabin will always be talked about and be a topic on the ship. Princess will always be plagued with people not wanting to stay in it and some will go to the extent of investigating the location of the ship it is on.

I do not think berating people who mention the cabin numbers will help because it is a fact that had to happen. Burring heads in the sand "out of respect" is nothing more than cowardice that will not make the problem go away. Ever heard about the "elephant in the room" well this is one of those situations and no amount of "respect" will take away the cold hard fact that the cabin will remain a problematic issue for Emerald Princess in the future.

Don't agree. Remember that gay couple on a RCCL ship last year? Don't remember which ship (and that goes to my point) but one of them jumped off the ship from his balcony cabin because he felt someone on the staff disrespected them. Do you remember what their cabin number was? Do you remember what deck they were on? No? I don't either.

In the last link posted, a passenger stated that the victims young daughter said "I knew my dad would do this. I knew he would do this." This sure sounds like an ongoing case of DV.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk