Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

Would you be happy after boarding, finding out that you're in the same cabin? :confused:

I'm going on a cruise. Therefore, I'm happy.

However, I think that if, as you have stated, I learned of the history of the cabin after boarding, that bit of information would certainly not increase my happiness. Anything else that I might speculate about my feelings would be, well, speculation.

As I stated, previously, I just prefer not to know.

I contemplated whether or not to start this thread because but I can't quote a news source yet, but from what I've been told by my professional contacts in the area, a woman was killed by her husband last night on board the ship. I'll pass more details as they become public. A press release was supposedly issued, so we should be seeing on-line news sources reporting very soon.

Saw this on the morning news this morning. How sad.

This is so sad and my thoughts are with the family especially the daughters. I must add that there is more to think about concerning the people already on the ship besides if they missed part of the vacation they were looking forward to especially those on the same deck. Imagine you are on vacation with your school aged children or grandchildren and you are on that deck and witnessed part of that. These children would probably be traumatized too. Not as badly of course as the children of the couple but they would need counseling and lots of TLC probably. I would venture to say that most people to a more or less degree were victimized by this man. The people on that deck who witnessed it, the people confined to their cabins, and I am sure there was at least one gravely ill person on that trip that will never get the chance now to see Alaska . So I see both sides. Those that complained of being "bored" should be happy that is all that they are feeling. I bet there are dozens of people that will need counseling to get over this.

How do you determine what is fake, and what is real news?

To me, an obvious error makes the source's reporting less reliable.

The daily news has a picture of Emerald Princess in their story...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fbi-investigating-utah-woman-death-aboard-cruise-ship-alaska-article-1.3359528

...and I don't think their expertise is supposed to be cruise ships.

Using the wrong ship's photo does not make it fake news - a little sloppy on the editing side perhaps.

If they reported that pirates boarded the ship and killed all the passengers instead of reporting that one woman was killed through domestic violence THAT would be fake news.

Very sad news for the family and friends of the woman and man involved.

Condolences to all the loved ones receiving the news of this loss.

In reality though, everyone who cruises brings along their emotional baggage in addition to their packed suitcases.

Perhaps emotions for this couple escalated into a fight where physical force lead to an unfortunate end.

Perhaps alcohol was involved ,fueling their altercation

We can speculate here as what happened between the couple. The FBI investigators will sort that out.

For us reading about the murder, the reality is people have lost a family member and/or a friend.

There have been instances where people have chosen to end their lives on cruise ships. Sometimes,these incidences are reported as a person falling overboard. Sometimes it is reported as a suicide. Regardless, there is a loss for those left behind in those people's worlds.

There was a case of a newlywed couple, it may have been on an NCL or RCCL cruise, where the husband was reported missing and was never found. Who knows what really happened to the young man?

While we here on CC enjoy cruising , we are often made aware through incidences as the one reported on this thread, that a ship is a community where real life events occur . It may sound trite,but I think when a tradegy such as this happens, it can remind us to appreciate our days and our loved ones.

Yes, I remember that well! The victim was George Smith. They never found his body and his poor family still can't rest! The ship was RCCL'S Brilliance of the Seas. Every once in awhile something still comes out about it. I don't know if anyone was ever charged. I know that they questioned some young men onboard that the couple was partying with. His wife re-married a couple yrs. later. Whenever I see something about it I watch or read. We were going on a similar itinerary the Oct. after that happened. I think that incident happened in July, too. I think it happened near Greece. How awful to not know what happened and where he is for the family. God bless the children of this couple! I can't understand why couples fight in front of their kids!

Using the wrong ship's photo does not make it fake news - a little sloppy on the editing side perhaps.

If they reported that pirates boarded the ship and killed all the passengers instead of reporting that one woman was killed through domestic violence THAT would be fake news.

Looks to me like the correct ship is pictured. Clearly says "Emerald Princess" on the stern of the ship.

Tom

How do you determine what is fake, and what is real news?

To me, an obvious error makes the source's reporting less reliable.

The daily news has a picture of Emerald Princess in their story...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fbi-investigating-utah-woman-death-aboard-cruise-ship-alaska-article-1.3359528

...and I don't think their expertise is supposed to be cruise ships.

What's fake about that? The Emerald Princess is the ship where the incident occurred.

Tom

What's fake about that? The Emerald Princess is the ship where the incident occurred.

Tom

Looks to me like the correct ship is pictured. Clearly says "Emerald Princess" on the stern of the ship.

Tom

FYI, when the article was first put up yesterday the picture that was used was a picture of the Crown Princess. The picture has since been changed.

Edit. This article still shows a picture of the Crown as of right now.

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/FBI-investigating-cruise-ship-death-436754183.html

Tom

Cruise critic posted an article yesterday on the incident and they had the wrong picture, which was quickly pointed out :rolleyes:.

The picture it self was very burly and it had already been stated by the OP in the original post that it was the Emerald Princess, so I said "does it matter" - re: if it was the wrong photo (thinking to my self at that time, really - someone has just had their life taken away and you are worried that the ship photo is wrong, big freakin deal :()

Cruise critic posted an article yesterday on the incident and they had the wrong picture, which was quickly pointed out :rolleyes:.

The picture it self was very burly and it had already been stated by the OP in the original post that it was the Emerald Princess, so I said "does it matter" - re: if it was the wrong photo (thinking to my self at that time, really - someone has just had their life taken away and you are worried that the ship photo is wrong, big freakin deal :()

Amen, KristyMisty!!! Amen!!! A double shout out of "Toot-Toot" to you, Dearie, for prophetically helping to prick consciences whereever and whenever they need pricking. Let's all keep things in perspective relative to the gravity of what has happened here, shall we?

Let us continue praying for all those affected by this tragedy---which includes ourselves since each time something like this happens we are all touched by it one way or another. In the victim's memory, what if each of us said or did something good for another, something to promote peace and gentleness, something that is loving. What a difference we will make, eh? Let's help heal our fractured and broken world....or at least our part of it.

Cheerio, Dearies!!!

Tom

I think there was talk earlier about news reports that had the wrong ship's picture.

I often get email ads for cruise specials with the wrong cruise line shown! :)

The Affidavit by a special agent gave us enough details of this tragedy. Some people may not care but I would not stay in the same cabin in any possible future cruise of Emerald Princess.

You have no idea what could have happened in a ship cabin or hotel room prior to your stay, so why would it matter. You might not even know what had happened in your house prior to you buying it.

You have no idea what could have happened in a ship cabin or hotel room prior to your stay, so why would it matter. You might not even know what had happened in your house prior to you buying it.

As stated by that poster -- and I tend to agree with it -- not knowing is preferable to knowing what occurred in the room. Please don't try and rationalize the emotional response of others.

I will be on Emerald Princess in a few weeks, and at the moment, I cannot help but think that this topic may rule more than one conversation. For me, in particular, my MIL and DW worked very closely with DV victims trying to navigate the LA County Court System. All of it is very emotionally taxing and tends to stick with folks who do this work. Awareness of an event like this having recently occurred on the ship you're standing on -- let alone the cabin you're sleeping in -- is sure to draw an emotional response from someone involved in cases like these.

Again, don't rationalize others' emotions, please.

Please don't read this article if you don't want to know the cabin number. Not only does it show the number, it shows an informative picture of the cabin.

http://cruise-bruise.com/blog/2017/07/27/kristy-manzanares-alaska-cruise-ship-passenger-murdered-aboard-emerald-princess/

Wow..

That article is the most accurate report that I've seen so far

Srpilo

A lot of information has been hitting the media sources today, so everyone is getting to see just how violent and disturbing this incident really was....that is, for those who are interested. I'll also refrain from posting the cabin #.

Thank you to the vast majority who kept this thread civil. I've been in law enforcement 24 years and I've seen my fair share of domestic cases....often the first to arrive. This is the sort of thing that is not only tragic at face value, but also for the first responders and witnesses who have to see what death really looks like. It's the sort of thing that changes a person. My heart bleeds for their daughter, family and other witnesses who had to intervene.

I'm going on a cruise. Therefore, I'm happy.

However, I think that if, as you have stated, I learned of the history of the cabin after boarding, that bit of information would certainly not increase my happiness. Anything else that I might speculate about my feelings would be, well, speculation.

As I stated, previously, I just prefer not to know.

Understood.

But having the prior knowledge that they were in cabins D726 and D728 I definitely would prefer not to sail in either of those cabins. (and I'm not superstitious at all).

I think most people would feel rather horrified to find out after they boarded the ship or returned home after a cruise.

You've got to "love" the self centred reaction of other passengers. Two "gems" I found online:

Passengers were kept aboard the ship for much of the day Wednesday, prompting some grumbling.

'You feel sorry for the family but a lot of people had to wait,' said Lloyd Barrows, a passenger from Alberta, Canada.

Suzanne Ragsdale, of Houston, said passengers were notified late Tuesday about security issues and told over the public address system Wednesday morning that there had been a death.

She said being onboard for so long was 'awful' and that her kids were bored.

:mad::mad: LinkedIn suggests Suzanne is an attorney for AIG. Given my workings with individuals in that field I shouldn't be surprised at the reaction...

My guess is that, even after law enforcement has released the cabin, Princess will simply lock the cabin and remove it from inventory. There is too much trauma that will be forever associated with that room (and the adjoining one) - and I would question the motivation of anyone who knowingly requested it.

So many people are affected by this tragedy - consider even the stewards who would have to enter the room and clean it - no, that cabin will never be used by guests again. (I rarely make definitive predictions, but I am in this case.)