Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

My thoughts and prayers to EVERYONE who is affected in any way by this tragedy. Unfortunately, I know personally how deep and broad the reach of such tragedies can run. But I also know the resilience and compassion that is present at such times. I also know how comforting discussion boards like Cruise Critic can be at such times. I hope that those who are onboard right now can find solace in their friends here. In experience, just having someone listen and someone care means a tremendous amount. Strangers I had never met except casually through an online discussion board such as this one provided some of the greatest support when I was involved in a tragedy that received substantial national coverage and incredible press attention. I hope to pay it forward and hope that my fellow board participants will reach out as well as many have already done.

I think you need a subscription to see this.

I had no problems without a subscription. It is an AP blog, not a Post blog, so you may be able to pick it up on another site. Other than two groups of individuals whose privacy was protected by umbrellas and hoodies, including one child, being taken off the ship in a restricted area of the port and entering vehicles with tinted windows before passengers were allowed to disembark, all other information has been reported in this thread.

I had no problems without a subscription. It is an AP blog, not a Post blog, so you may be able to pick it up on another site. Other than two groups of individuals whose privacy was protected by umbrellas and hoodies, including one child, being taken off the ship in a restricted area of the port and entering vehicles with tinted windows before passengers were allowed to disembark, all other information has been reported in this thread.

The news just gets worse. I heard their 3 children witnessed it. How horrifying. My heart just goes out to those children and everyone on the ship.

Thank you aquahound for first posting this story. Unfortunately a ship is simply an extension of life on land and not exempt from situations we have on land. I did a UST last year on the CB. The first destination on the tour was the sick bay. It was staffed by two doctors and several medical attendants. The ship had 3 ER rooms for patients and at the time one was occupied. They showed us the morgue which thankfully was empty but did comment that it is used on a much too regular basis. I have been on a few ships that had to detour to drop off a seriously ill patient. My sincere condolences to the family members impacted with this horrible crime.

BTW on the UST they told us they have a brig (jail cell) but usually just confine pax to their cabin with security sitting outside 24x7 until the next port where they are put off the ship. I have seen one occasion where security was outside a cabin guarding it.

Horrible situation indeed, and may that poor woman rest in peace.

Domestic violence happens every day in every country across the globe but it is rarely reported on. It happens on a cruise ship and it's front page news. What about the other victims no one ever hears about? :(

What about the other victims

I was thinking the same. Loads of people are killed in domestic incidents, and I'm sure quite a few are killed in hotels and the like, and we don't always hear of those. There's something about cruise ships, I guess, so contained and supposedly happy and removed from real life. Alas, as people here have noted, you're still the same person on the ship that you were on land, and while you could be happier and more relaxed, you could also be worse, with drinking and partying with other people and all.

I was thinking the same. Loads of people are killed in domestic incidents, and I'm sure quite a few are killed in hotels and the like, and we don't always hear of those. There's something about cruise ships, I guess, so contained and supposedly happy and removed from real life. Alas, as people here have noted, you're still the same person on the ship that you were on land, and while you could be happier and more relaxed, you could also be worse, with drinking and partying with other people and all.

While I wasn't referring to drinking/partying, perhaps we will find out if that played a role later. I certainly would not doubt it. We've certainly heard many balcony conflicts that were alcohol related. We just feel bad for the family and friends of the victim. If the attacker is found guilty, I hope he sees maximum justice.

Every death from domestic violence should be front page news. The MSM is taking advantage here for clicks. That's sad.

Death from domestic violence is far too frequent. A number of years ago our police department focussed on domestic violence and brought down the homicide rate significantly. Unfortunately it is on the rise. I hope everyone concerned about domestic violence considers giving their next clothes or household goods donation to a thrift store that supports victims of domestic violence. It makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry but I think you should have gone with your first instinct on whether or not to post this.

Everyone here have internet access, news access? Pretty sure that answer is yes. So I don't see the purpose of posting other than to stir the pot, no offense meant, truly.

Let the investigators do their job and pray for the family.

Let's not stir thing up but have some compassion in what is a very tragic situation.

While not involved in this particular case, the OP is one of those investigators. He, like me, tend to post here trying to damp down speculation and rumor regarding cruise incidents, so I think he was right in getting it out there ahead of the major news outlets, which are so frequently wrong on facts.

While not involved in this particular case, the OP is one of those investigators. He, like me, tend to post here trying to damp down speculation and rumor regarding cruise incidents, so I think he was right in getting it out there ahead of the major news outlets, which are so frequently wrong on facts.

Most of us here on the CC forum so appreciate the informative posts !

Please don't stop! Thank you both!

RIP, 39 year old woman

Reader

While I wasn't referring to drinking/partying, perhaps we will find out if that played a role later. I certainly would not doubt it. We've certainly heard many balcony conflicts that were alcohol related. We just feel bad for the family and friends of the victim. If the attacker is found guilty, I hope he sees maximum justice.

Every death from domestic violence should be front page news. The MSM is taking advantage here for clicks. That's sad.

It's would be impossible to make every DV in Disney front page news - you would have to have hundreds of "front pages" every day. That's how serious a problem it really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Does that really matter???

How do you determine what is fake, and what is real news?

To me, an obvious error makes the source's reporting less reliable.

The daily news has a picture of Emerald Princess in their story...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fbi-investigating-utah-woman-death-aboard-cruise-ship-alaska-article-1.3359528

...and I don't think their expertise is supposed to be cruise ships.

Like it was mentioned before, a cruise ship is like a small city. The same problems that occur in a city, can occur on a cruise ship. Just like in a city, there are many things that occur on the ship, that you don't here about.

Investigating a crime like this takes time. You could have several people see the same exact same thing and have several different stories as to what had happened. Once it is determined, that all that were involved have been identified, they will probably start letting passengers off the ship. Until then, the whole ship can basically be a crime scene.