Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I know the cabin number as well but I will not post it so we can all continue to live in blissful ignorance. I know if I had booked on the Emerald Princess I wouldn't want to know either.

Our next two cruises are on the Emerald. Probably better to be blissfully unaware of what happened in my cabin on prior cruises but I don't think anyone would be upset if you posted it either.

How about man trying to stop perp from jumping over board.

Very sad for all involved.

I too have a cruise coming up on the emerald with a group of family members mini suites all in a row. I'd like to know the cabin number,I don't know why, just curious.....

May she RIP

Then it dawned on me that deaths do happen on cruise ships. .

When on the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Grand last month, one of the stops was the infirmary/hospital. Questions about deaths during a cruise came up. The doctor hosting that section of the tour said on average a death occurs every two weeks. And that is on that ship alone. Once, several years ago, they had three on a single 7 night cruise. Most are due to natural causes or illness, with no mention of the frequency of foul play.

That means that the average ship might have to deal with 26 deaths per year!

I am sorry but I think you should have gone with your first instinct on whether or not to post this.

Everyone here have internet access, news access? Pretty sure that answer is yes. So I don't see the purpose of posting other than to stir the pot, no offense meant, truly.

Let the investigators do their job and pray for the family.

Let's not stir thing up but have some compassion in what is a very tragic situation.

We have family members onboard the Emerald and their cabin is two away from the scene. Apparently, there was a large group of family traveling together occupying several cabins. We talked to my brother in law a bit ago and he said it was horrible. People were screaming and running up and down the halls covered with blood trying to get help. My BIL and 4 other men were getting ready to storm the cabin, but then security showed up.
OMG! How awful. I can't imagine.

The local CBS affiliate (KIRO) in Seattle reported that the woman's children were in the cabin when the incident accrued. People in the surrounding cabins have been asked to return to their cabins to be interviewed.

What?! Oh my goodness how awful. Those poor children.

We have friends on board texting us. Still not allowed off the ship and they have ordered those in cabins on the floor above and below the crime scene to return to their cabins for the investigation.

We finally have been cleared to go ashore, nearly 8 hours after arriving in port. Flight excursions have been cancelled due to weather. We had planned to go to the Alaska State Museum but it's too late now since it closes at 5. We will go ashore to shop just to get off this ship for a bit.

Sorry if I've been harsh with a couple of people, but this has been a stressful situation. We've been kept on the ship with few activities in grey, rainy weather. The mood has been very subdued. Some poster's comments seem very inappropriate from my perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am sorry but I think you should have gone with your first instinct on whether or not to post this.

Everyone here have internet access, news access? Pretty sure that answer is yes. So I don't see the purpose of posting other than to stir the pot, no offense meant, truly.

Let the investigators do their job and pray for the family.

Let's not stir thing up but have some compassion in what is a very tragic situation.

No offense taken at all. I appreciate your post. :)

I was on the fence with it because I knew it would be posted in the coming hours anyways. I wasn't rushing to be first. Those who know me know that's not me. I just forecasted a lot of misinformation being posted so I got out ahead of it. It's still happening a little in this thread, but not as much as it probably would have.

Aquahound you were the first to report it and you did it responsibly. Cc as a whole is a fairly responsible community and the events appear to have been pretty accurately reported.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello, my husband and I are new to cruising; and this is our first message at CruiseCritic. We are so sorry to hear of the death aboard the Emerald Princess. Deepest condolences to this family for their loss.

We are booked on board the Emerald in about 5 weeks for our very first cruise together. I was in the process of registering here so that we could chat with everyone, when this sad story appeared on CBS National News with Anthony Mason. :( It is a nationwide, if not worldwide story. It would have been the trip of a lifetime for us; but it is important to remember that there is really no escape from reality, and people bring their troubles and real-world problems on board with them.

With sadness, from EastBay Cruisers

Reading this has been chilling. If children witnessed this crime, they are going to something to deal with forever.

Not a time for jokes about the coffee. Thank you for the reporting for the cruisers on the Emerald. It has to be a terrible experience. God help them all.

When on the Ultimate Ship Tour on the Grand last month, one of the stops was the infirmary/hospital. Questions about deaths during a cruise came up. The doctor hosting that section of the tour said on average a death occurs every two weeks. And that is on that ship alone. Once, several years ago, they had three on a single 7 night cruise. Most are due to natural causes or illness, with no mention of the frequency of foul play.

That means that the average ship might have to deal with 26 deaths per year!

We took our first cruise this past week. We were on the Ruby Princess and had to make a visit to the Medical Center. Nothing serious, just a bandage change on a surgical site (note: never schedule surgery 3 days before a cruise...) The staff was great and working in an ICU myself, I was quite impressed with the setup. In talking with one of the staff, they mentioned that they had a 5 bed ICU on board. I was surprised, although really shouldn't have been. Had a patient the first day that was disembarked in Juneau.

As soon as I saw this in the news, I came to CC to read about it. I know that this is a trusted site for all things cruising including tragedies.

I knew to look for the news story (and pray for all involved), because I saw it on CC first. I for one appreciated Aquahound's professional post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding the question that seemed to offend some about the cabin number, I have a cruise scheduled on the Emerald Princess. It did not take me long to wonder if this horrible event ocurred in the cabin that I have booked.

Then it dawned on me that deaths do happen on cruise ships. This one is just getting a lot of publicity. It's entirely possible that I have sailed in cabins where people have died. For that matter, it is entirely possible that I have spent nights in hotel rooms where people have died.

I have now come to the conclusion that I hope the cabin number is never disclosed officially. Of course, Cruise Critic denizens will post room numbers (I'm counting on multiple reports.), but if I can live in blissful ignorance, I will be happy.

I so agree, I don't want to know where. I will be on her next year, and was one her last year. My favorite ship.