Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

How do you determine what is fake, and what is real news?

To me, an obvious error makes the source's reporting less reliable.

The daily news has a picture of Emerald Princess in their story...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fbi-investigating-utah-woman-death-aboard-cruise-ship-alaska-article-1.3359528

...and I don't think their expertise is supposed to be cruise ships.

From their report it appears that the incident took place on deck 9.

They showed a picture of her and released her name on GMA. What a beautiful women. Such a tragedy, especially for her children. They said her daughter was very upset and had just wanted to see her mom. I just can't even imagine.

A passenger posted her room number last night on the internet. I wonder if they will be finished with the processing of the room prior to the next sailing.

May she Rest In Peace.

I just now saw this, buried at the end of a report from news.com/au. Apparently this comment is from an onboard passenger and was posted at 1:38 this morning. Completely unverified, of course.

We got a letter on our doors saying we get 25% of our cruise money back plus $150 each to spend how ever we want or cash

I'm friends with the neighbor of the family involved. The FBI is sending the girls home this morning. They're completely wrecked by this and have now lost both parents since the father is (obviously) in custody. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. They will need a lot of love, support, and therapy to help recover from this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

I have now come to the conclusion that I hope the cabin number is never disclosed officially. Of course, Cruise Critic denizens will post room numbers (I'm counting on multiple reports.), but if I can live in blissful ignorance, I will be happy.

Would you be happy after boarding, finding out that you're in the same cabin? :confused:

I know the cabin number as well but I will not post it so we can all continue to live in blissful ignorance. I know if I had booked on the Emerald Princess I wouldn't want to know either.

You better stop reading these posts. Sooner of later you might find out your in the same cabin and it might ruin your trip.

In reading this story in the Daily Mail - which tends to sensationalize the news but they do give a lot of information. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4734962/Federal-authorities-announce-charges-cruise-ship-death.html

It is very heartbreaking to hear about the women's death, her name, photo, job info and photos of her three children and husband.

What is sickening is the reaction of some of the passengers - Such as "Passengers were kept aboard the ship for much of the day Wednesday, prompting some grumbling," and "My kids were so bored.."

A sad commentary on our times.

I'm friends with the neighbor of the family involved. The FBI is sending the girls home this morning. They're completely wrecked by this and have now lost both parents since the father is (obviously) in custody. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. They will need a lot of love, support, and therapy to help recover from this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

If it is appropriate, at some time please let these girls know that there is a whole community that cares about them. People who have never met them and were touched by this tragedy. People who wish them well and people who pray for them. They are far from alone, sad to say.

Beth

I just now saw this, buried at the end of a report from news.com/au. Apparently this comment is from an onboard passenger and was posted at 1:38 this morning. Completely unverified, of course.

We got a letter on our doors saying we get 25% of our cruise money back plus $150 each to spend how ever we want or cash

One would hope that those in adjacent cabins to the incident would get their entire cruise money back - or a future cruise free.

For the rest of the passengers, this should be acceptable.

So very sad. May she Rest In Peace.

My prayers go out for her children, family, and friends. The person who did this needs our prayers, too.

Wow, I never even looked at it that way, but you're very right. A person who would kill his wife in front of his children needs a lot of prayers too.

Before this turns into some of a scrum, we wish to send our thoughts

to the family of the lady. May she rest in peace. Also to all the passengers effected in this

tragedy . It had been a hard journey on all, passengers, and the crew. A special shout out to Augahound for starting this thread and updating it with sound information.

We do hope that you will be able to get past this horrible experience.

One would hope that those in adjacent cabins to the incident would get their entire cruise money back - or a future cruise free.

For the rest of the passengers, this should be acceptable.

WHY? Why does Princess need to give a deal to those folks. Princess was not responsible for what happened. Sometimes we need to just flow with the situation and move on.

framer

WHY? Why does Princess need to give a deal to those folks. Princess was not responsible for what happened. Sometimes we need to just flow with the situation and move on.

framer

I believe that I wrote "one would hope" - nowhere did I state that Princess needs to do this and nowhere did I state that Princess was responsible for what happened. Sometimes we need to just flow with the actual words of a post or move on.

That being said, these passengers would have been put out more than those who were not close to the scene of the crime. It would be good PR and good business practice by Princess.

In reading this story in the Daily Mail - which tends to sensationalize the news but they do give a lot of information. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4734962/Federal-authorities-announce-charges-cruise-ship-death.html.

Thank you for the link. That was the most detailed account I have read so far.

And, thanks to the 'hound for his initial post.

We are in Seattle right now waiting to board the Ruby for our AK cruise (luckily not the Emerald) and the Emerald has been on the news this morning. A quick google of the incident brought up quite a few hits with even more information. Glad to hear that Princess has stepped forward and tried to give consideration to the many onboard who were there to have a great vacation. Sorry for the pax who had their vacation impacted and particularly sorry for those whose life has now been turned upside down. Unfortunately domestic violence happens all too often and can happen anywhere.

framer

I'm not sure if you have ever been directly affected by a tragedy of this magnitude (I hope not), but the effect on persons is incredible. From survivor's guilt to nightmares about what you heard or saw (or think you heard or saw). Suffice to say, even for those tangentially present, it can take YEARS to get over. For the first several months, I would cringe and cowl just hearing sirens headed my direction if I was anywhere near the site of the incident. No, it was not Princess' fault or responsibility for the actual incident. But good businesses are proactive and do all in their power to treat their customers well and to be concerned for their well-being. There will be many passengers and crew (and even law enforcement) that will need to be supported as they work through the emotions triggered by this event. Going with the flow is not possible, nor a good idea, for many involved. I hope that some counseling support is provided as the ship moves to its final destination. I think it would be much appreciated in my experience.

framer

While I agree they were not responsible, the ship did miss Tracey Arm, and I'm sure for many that was the highlight of the trip. It's a nice gesture.

ABC News just updated the story.

A witness claims the husband was attempting to "throw her body overboard and he was able to pull her back."

No mention of who the witness was or how he came to be on the balcony.

Husband reportedly told the FBI that he "killed her because she would not stop laughing at him."

I listened to the story twice and noted the 2 comments to make them as accurate as they were reported.

Very sad.