The RCCL Shell Game

OK-So I get a RC credit card to save a bit on the Bev Pkg. Today I call to use the $150 of OBC and (I swear the CSRs act like morons, so you`ll get frustrated and go away) anyways

CSR: "you can`t use those until 2 weeks before your cruise"

ME: "But then the pkg won`t be on sale" (currently 25% off each)

CSR: "Uhhhhhhh"

ME: Click

Finally they did not even show the OBC given to us by our TA.

Now before you RC cheerleaders get your panties in a wad-I`ve had similar issues with NCL and CCL, even using patience and courtesy.

Only obc from RCI appear on the planner. The obc from the TA never appears until you are on board. Our obcfrom the cc recently appeared, about 3 weeks before sailing. BOA doesn't process your request until w-3 weeks before sail date. Sorry but that is the way it is.

Guess my big problem is that the CC company said yes you can use right away. This is probably from RC! YES I know about the TA OBC rules, but don't waste your time with their stupid credit card, unless you're buying a pile of t shirts. Waste of time.

I take it you redeemed Visa points for $150 OBC? And you don't see this OBC on your cruise Planner yet?

Yes, but the moron found it".....and can't use it till sales are over, excursions sold out.... Just sending out a PSA about getting screwed over again by the Cruz lines. I really should know by now. DONT GET THEIR CC, BUY THEIR ONBOARD PROMOS, NUTTIN.

Yes, but the moron found it".....and can't use it till sales are over, excursions sold out.... Just sending out a PSA about getting screwed over again by the Cruz lines. I really should know by now. DONT GET THEIR CC, BUY THEIR ONBOARD PROMOS, NUTTIN.

The beverage package sales come and go, keep watching, you may find another sale after your OBC shows up.

Well...I have learned something....we have used our RCI Credit Card for OBC for YEARS! ...... I always wait til the week prior to sailing to cash it in...to make sure I use as much as I can.... anyway, what I learned is that you can use it PRIOR to sailing! I thought it was only available ONBOARD.... we had $800 CC OBC last cruise.... we used about $100 of it & cashed the rest out at the end of the cruise.... YAY CASH for Christmas gifts! LOL

I had OBC on my upcoming cruise that I got when I booked..... I tried to used it prior to buy the beverage package online it didn't work! So I still have it to use onboard.... I will just use it for my gratuities......... no worries.

Get a real CC like the capital one venture card, much better travel card than the gimmicky on board credit. Can use the points to wipe out any travel related charge. Just paid for an entire cruise in April with points. No hassles, no gimmicks, it just erases the charge off your account.

Well...I have learned something....we have used our RCI Credit Card for OBC for YEARS! ...... I always wait til the week prior to sailing to cash it in...to make sure I use as much as I can.... anyway, what I learned is that you can use it PRIOR to sailing! I thought it was only available ONBOARD.... .

OBC has only been available to use onboard for a year or so.

I tried to cash in RCI credit card reward points about 3 months ago and was told the same thing as the OP. (that I could not see/use the OBC purchased with reward points until 2 weeks prior to sailing) I too was ticked that I could not use it right away (when the beverage packages were on sale). However, I cashed mine in 2 weeks ago and the OBC showed up a few days later. So I guess that 2 week date they give you may not be accurate. Still waiting on some "refer a friend" OBC to show up though. They told me that will not be there until the magic 2 week date. ;-)

OK-So I get a RC credit card to save a bit on the Bev Pkg. Today I call to use the $150 of OBC and (I swear the CSRs act like morons, so you`ll get frustrated and go away) anyways

CSR: "you can`t use those until 2 weeks before your cruise"

ME: "But then the pkg won`t be on sale" (currently 25% off each)

CSR: "Uhhhhhhh"

ME: Click

Finally they did not even show the OBC given to us by our TA.

Now before you RC cheerleaders get your panties in a wad-I`ve had similar issues with NCL and CCL, even using patience and courtesy.

It sounds like you've experienced an agent in Costa Rica. Call later and get an agent in the US. You'll proabably get different results.

It will be a pop up when you first enter your Cruise Planner.

If I could only get there..Got the famous HTTP 404 error message-Happens a lot on that site

It sounds like you've experienced an agent in Costa Rica. Call later and get an agent in the US. You'll proabably get different results.

I did call back twice, until I got somebody that sounded remotely English.

Please don`t get me wrong-We enjoy the RCCL product (once aboard)........It`s the getting there part that gets me postal!

Isn´t OBC from the Credit card refundable?

So why not pay for the drink package at discounted price now and then get cashback later. Problem solved. No aggravation needed.

I´m ready to be corrected about the refundable part though.

You are correct.

Apparently, BOA isn't consistent. My son cashed in points & used it to book excursions and it was definitely more than 3 weeks before our sailing.

BOA did convert the points to On Board Cash. It`s RC that won`t let me use them now.

I`ll just convert to cash the last day..........Yes you have to wait till the last day and convert. Again, they make it so irritating to get your $$ back from them, many don`t bother!!!

Question, can I use my RCL credit card for OBC? Can I use any portion of my credit that is left over go to the service desk & receive cash?

Example;

I cashed in my pts. on my RCL credit card for OBC. I got $200. I did not spend any of it because I also got $200 from my TA which took care of my tips. Can I go to the service desk the night before the cruise ends & get cash back for my unused OBC (credit card )?

george35

Question, can I use my RCL credit card for OBC? Can I use any portion of my credit that is left over go to the service desk & receive cash?

Example;

I cashed in my pts. on my RCL credit card for OBC. I got $200. I did not spend any of it because I also got $200 from my TA which took care of my tips. Can I go to the service desk the night before the cruise ends & get cash back for my unused OBC (credit card )?

george35

Yes, OBC from Visa points redemption is refundable OBC.

Only obc from RCI appear on the planner. The obc from the TA never appears until you are on board. Our obcfrom the cc recently appeared, about 3 weeks before sailing. BOA doesn't process your request until w-3 weeks before sail date. Sorry but that is the way it is.

I'm not an RCCL Cheerleader but OP, the above statement is correct. Sometimes TA OBC appears a couple of days after you begin sailing.