MS Oosterdam - what a disapointment (dirty, worn out, noro virus)

Stefan_Cruise

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this whole thread has made me nervous. I am about to book our first cruise in 15 years. For the variety of European ports, the Oosterdam with the HAL Romantic Mediterranean cruise had the best itinerary in October 2018. Now I have major doubts. Do I look at a different cruise line or itinerary? Our first cruise was a new ship (we were spoiled) and since it has been so long, we are planning on "doing it up right." Change itinerary to a newer ship in the Mediterranean?

OK, this whole thread has made me nervous. I am about to book our first cruise in 15 years. For the variety of European ports, the Oosterdam with the HAL Romantic Mediterranean cruise had the best itinerary in October 2018. Now I have major doubts. Do I look at a different cruise line or itinerary? Our first cruise was a new ship (we were spoiled) and since it has been so long, we are planning on "doing it up right." Change itinerary to a newer ship in the Mediterranean?

I see many more "Yays" then "Nays" in the thread. We just left Oosterdam on Saturday after 12 days and had no complaints for the most part- she looked great. Oosterdam is also going into drydock I believe next March for another refurb. This usually means new carpet, furniture, etc as needed as well as updates to public areas.

I wouldn't hesitate to get back on Oosterdam tomorrow- actually really didn't want our cruise to end.

Thread was started by one person's opinion and according to OP they received a future cruise credit. I'm sure you could find bad reviews of even the finest ship.

We just got of Oosterdam on Saturday. Really, no complaints.

Likes/Loves: BB Blue Club Band, movie selections, food, drinks, service, staff, no pressure for pictures, adult only back pool and area, Pinnacle Grill, Dive In food, Gallery Bar

Unlikes: Bathtub was yuck.

Most of ship in excellent shape, except bathtub.

• 6 months later...
I travel on Princess often and don't have this complaint re the Princess fleet.

Most of our cruises have been on HAL. Nov 2017 my wife and I did a TA from Venice to Miami on the Pacific Princess. Our first cruise on that line and possibly our last. We heard and read that Princess was a great line. We felt different.

The food wasn't that great. There was rust here and there. Occasionally, walking past a restroom there would be an odor. There was a noise in our suite coming from the vent that sounded like a bearing going out ( it was never fixed ). The drink package that was supposed to included all drinks didn't ( soda fountain drinks only, can drinks cost extra ). Since this was a back to back cruise, people disembarked and boarded in Rome. They setup the lifeboat drill for the new passenger in the main dining room about the time the people in the second dinner seating were getting their food. They were told to leave. Some had yet to get a plate much less eat. The Pacific Lounge ( crows nest ) smelled musky probably from the carpet and the awful chairs and sofa's. Bamboo frames with horrible green cushions ( calling them cushions is being generous ) that looked like they came from a college dorm dumpster. We made a reservation on our first day on the ship to the steak house for my wife's birthday. When we got there they had no reservation and suggested we made the reservation for another evening. I'm pretty sure we know when her birthday is. They did seat us but not happily.

All ships have problems. In April of 2016 we were on the NCL Sun. Yes that one. We had a similar experience as the cruise that was in the news recently. Construction, construction workers, serious bad odors, blue water in our shower and sink (yes it was actually blue ). We've been on other NCL ships that were fine.

Long story short, we like HAL

We're doing our first HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam this November and hope those pictures are not common to the HAL fleet. Just a week ago, we disembarked from the 21-year old RCI Rhapsody of the Seas. While she is one of the older, smaller ships and does show signs of those years (don't we all?), I'd be hard-pressed to have found pictures that looked quite as bad as the ones that the OP posted.

Reminder - this is an old thread.

Ooesterdam has gone through a dry dock and the recent reports are very good :)

I realize that, and having recently sailed Oosterdam, we found her in excellent material condition.

Reminder - this is an old thread.

Ooesterdam has gone through a dry dock and the recent reports are very good :)

This thread was started about 15 months after the most recent dry dock in Apr 2016. We were on the O in 12/16, 7 months before this thread, and didn't notice any of the things the OP pointed out in his pics. A couple of them I think are real nit-picks. Edited by catl331

This thread was started about 15 months after the most recent dry dock in Apr 2016. We were on the O in 12/16, 7 months before this thread, and didn't notice any of the things the OP pointed out in his pics. A couple of them I think are real nit-picks.

I have to agree with catl331. I just looked at the pictures and someone had to be looking very closely to find the problems. The Oosterdam measures

• Length: 936 feet
  • Beam: 105.8 feet
  • 10 Passenger Decks

and OP provides 8 pictures to support his claim.

The OP is a typical serial complainer looking for anything to get a freebee. Worst thing is, that he got one.

Cruise ships are ocean going vessels. Salt is extremely corrosive and ships take a punding from weather and passengers on a daily basis.All pictures that he published are focussing on details, no doubt after spending some time looking specifically for flaws.

Rant over.

I always wonder if these serial complainers also get their cruise through some last-minute discount cruise broker who does unload the less than perfect cabins on them. Tarnish on the elevator buttons? Can you imagine those who spend their time documenting such HAL crimes against humanity, and use this hyper-diligence to get a compensation? Sounds like a shake-down artist. Glad he hates HAL and we never have to deal with him again.