Allure: Confessions of a solo passenger

hucifer

I hope there is room for one more follower in here. Enjoying the report.

I just saw this report for the first time, and I'm really liking it also.

Go Illini ! (okay, I know they suck this year, and last, and the one before that, and

probably next year, but I hope not!)

So glad you finally took the kid to Mickey World. I mean look at that face?? Now you have peaked my interest about the small world song.

Seriously, that song was in my head for months and I didn't do anything wrong.:')

For only a few months? I gotta tell ya, we were on the Big Red Boat in 87, or so, (remembering is hard) and before that we were

in Mouse Land. That song is still in my head, and after reading about it from you guys, the volume is really, really loud!!

Edited by skypilot52
correct the year

Ahhhh, Labadee, my first experience with a cruise line private island. There was no special suite area, no parade, just a few bar guys wandering around selling the drink of the day, a banana boat ride, some snorkeling and jet ski excursions and the local straw market.

The beaches weren't crowded, the line for lunch was only long for the first 30 minutes.

In those days, the ships had maybe 2,500 passengers, not 6,000. Explains a lot...

Private island stops now equate to a sea day for me. I have my choice of pool chairs, there is no line in the buffet and I eat in air conditioned comfort without flies, sand flies, or sand.

Yes, Labadee 30 yrs ago. But then we had to tender in. Sovereign the largest cruise ship afloat.

I am loving reading this thread in my spare time. I have wanted to cruise by myself. I always come home exhausted from doing what everyone else wants to do. Understandable when my 3 sons are with me but not when I sail with other adults. I want to sleep, take a relaxing shower and shave (even in a tiny shower), eat what I want to eat, read more, think, read, sleep. Not get home and feel as if I just completed a triathlon. Great writing by the way! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh no.... I too have been waiting for more! Love this review. Labadee has always been good to us. My wife loves the sea side massages and we seem to find a nice space in Columbus Cove. Glad I have missed the parade... that must be something new?

Can’t wait to hear more.... Ice Skating.... Famous Roast Beef Sandwich... running walking track, wonder view from the Aft... err... rear of the ship... does she ride the Merry Go Round?.... Putt Putt Golf... Zip Line... Rock Climbing.... Flowrider.... there has to be more.... I want more.... we want MORE!! :o

Merry Christmas 🎄 🎅🏼

Loving your trip report so far! I have been on 6 solo cruises thus far, with my very first being on the Allure (while in my mid-20’s). I learned a very important lesson after I requested a large table and was seated at a table for 4 with a group of 3 Norwegian friends who hardly spoke any English and didn’t show up after the first night (and subsequently stayed at the table feeling sorry for myself and thinking the wait staff would notice me and move me...)...

If you want to dine at a table with 10 awesome people (as I do), get on your CC Roll Call and coordinate said table amongst your fellow roll call members. I have done this twice now and those tables have been THE best ones I’ve ever had. The first, we had 2 10-tops with ALL solo travelers. The second, we had a group of 9 including 3 couples and 3 solos. Both really made the cruises that much more enjoyable. Having said that, both were transatlantics which typically draw more hard-core cruises and a larger roll call group (think hundreds at the meet and mingle...). Seriously - try it next time! [emoji3] All it takes is rounding up those interested in joining, perhaps stalking them online to ensure they meet your “cool criteria”, exchanging reservation numbers, and each person calling royal

Caribbean to have the reservations linked. I’d also suggest emailing the dining reservation email to ensure all is linked and request a specific location if you prefer a window, railing, etc.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your report!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh no.... I too have been waiting for more! Love this review. Labadee has always been good to us. My wife loves the sea side massages and we seem to find a nice space in Columbus Cove. Glad I have missed the parade... that must be something new?

Can’t wait to hear more.... Ice Skating.... Famous Roast Beef Sandwich... running walking track, wonder view from the Aft... err... rear of the ship... does she ride the Merry Go Round?.... Putt Putt Golf... Zip Line... Rock Climbing.... Flowrider.... there has to be more.... I want more.... we want MORE!! :o

Merry Christmas 🎄 🎅🏼

To use football parlance, the over/under on the next installment of this review is now New Year's Day. I'll take the over again.

Just finished all 15 pages. Loving the sarcasm...reminds me of my sister who is also fluent in sarcasm. Me? not as fluent, but I have my moments.

Since I'm fairly newly single, I'm looking forward to reading more about your solo travels. Thinking I will probably do this in the not too distant future. Up first though - a New England/Canada cruise in 2019 with my mom who is currently 80 years old. Got to savor as many trips with her as I can.

I've got to run my kids to the airport so they can go visit their dad. Maybe by the time I get back we'll have another installment? Yeah, not holding my breath since I really want to sail the Serenade in 2019. :D

Hucifer, I'm enjoying your posts!

I'm also a solo traveler -- I've been on 17 cruises, and about 10 of those have been solo trips. I'll be cruising with RCI for the first time next week, on the Navigator of the Seas (to Labadee and the ABC islands).

I'm 54 but look more like I'm in my 30s, LOL!!

Looking forward to your next installment!