Be aware of RC promotions!!!

Plankton82

Booked two staterooms on September 3rd on the Harmony of the Seas as RC was announcing this as the last day of a BOGOHO promotion.

One day later, I go onto their website to check what shore excursions they have only to find out that they have another promotion starting September 4th until November that now on top of the BOGOHO also offers All Inclusive Package!!!

I know the Terms and Conditions apply but I felt rather ripped off. Thank you RC!!! Last time I am cruising with you guys!

Booked two staterooms on September 3rd on the Harmony of the Seas as RC was announcing this as the last day of a BOGOHO promotion.

One day later, I go onto their website to check what shore excursions they have only to find out that they have another promotion starting September 4th until November that now on top of the BOGOHO also offers All Inclusive Package!!!

I know the Terms and Conditions apply but I felt rather ripped off. Thank you RC!!! Last time I am cruising with you guys!

Did you actually go in amd check the pricing. You will most likely find that the price has increased to cover the cost of the included beverage package.

Every cruise line, just like every business, has a marketing strategy. As suggested you should check to make sure that the new "deal" is actually better for you and if it is you can probably have your booking changed if you call.

I know Sparks. I understand prices fluctuate and marketing strategies come into play but I was surprised the new better promotion was offered only one day after I booked my cruise. If the new deal had come out sometime later I wouldnt have complain but only one day later?

I am from UK. Cancelling involves the loss of the deposit(£300).

1. So work out the new cost including the "free" drinks package.

2. Look at what you paid.

3. Look at how much it costs to buy the drinks package for 2

4. Add the cost of 2 + 3 together and does it come out at more than 1?

5. If so is there more or less than £300 difference?

I have cancelled in the past and took the £300 hit to secure a promo that saved me more than £300.

Edited: Just seen that you say cruise is still exactly the same price (which is amazing - are you sure it wasn't a gty which are excluded from the promos?) - in which case taking the £300 hit would be a better deal for you?

Edited by little britain

1. So work out the new cost including the "free" drinks package.

2. Look at what you paid.

3. Look at how much it costs to buy the drinks package for 2

4. Add the cost of 2 + 3 together and does it come out at more than 1?

5. If so is there more or less than £300 difference?

I have cancelled in the past and took the £300 hit to secure a promo that saved me more than £300.

There is more difference purchasing the drink package afterwards but its also true that we will be spending £600 more(the loss of the deposit) for not knowing there was a better deal coming out one day later :loudcry:

I know Sparks. I understand prices fluctuate and marketing strategies come into play but I was surprised the new better promotion was offered only one day after I booked my cruise. If the new deal had come out sometime later I wouldnt have complain but only one day later?

Yes, they were waiting for you to book a cabin, then they changed the deal. If I were you I would take personal offense with their timing.

Yes, they were waiting for you to book a cabin, then they changed the deal. If I were you I would take personal offense with their timing.

If you went onto a website looking for something and found a big banner saying "BUY NOW!! OFFER ENDS TODAY!" and you went for it only to find a day later they have come out with a better deal, how would you feel?

It happens and it's nothing but bad timing. If you run the numbers and the new deal is really better then try giving them a call. They might allow you to make the switch.

That really is a shame. Sorry that it happened. Here in the US they have been running that BOGO constantly for at least 2 yrs that I have been following pricing. The only thing that changes is the base price for passenger number 1. I see that you are new to Cruise Critic. If you follow this board and I suggest you do, you will learn all about Royal Caribbeans bait and switch pricing games. I have been a member of CC for ten years and I have received a good education in only a few months on how Royal Caribbean operates pricing. Just about everyday someone posts something about the shady pricing.

It wouldn't hurt to call and see if they can add the drink package. All they can say is no.

Good Luck.

That really is a shame. Sorry that it happened. Here in the US they have been running that BOGO constantly for at least 2 yrs that I have been following pricing. The only thing that changes is the base price for passenger number 1. I see that you are new to Cruise Critic. If you follow this board and I suggest you do, you will learn all about Royal Caribbeans bait and switch pricing games. I have been a member of CC for ten years and I have received a good education in only a few months on how Royal Caribbean operates pricing. Just about everyday someone posts something about the shady pricing.

It wouldn't hurt to call and see if they can add the drink package. All they can say is no.

Good Luck.

Thank you Mike for the advise regarding CCI will follow them, but to be honest, I don't see myself doing more cruises with RC. Will try something else next time.

As for calling them, I have tried that already and they refer me to their terms and conditions.

Thank you Mike for the advise regarding CCI will follow them, but to be honest, I don't see myself doing more cruises with RC. Will try something else next time.

As for calling them, I have tried that already and they refer me to their terms and conditions.

I have been cruising since 1986. This is going to be my second cruise on Royal in 18yrs. After experiencing their pricing tactics I don't think that I will book with them again. I think they have a good product especially if you are sailing with multi generations but there are other lines out there who offer the same thing at better prices. Don't let this spoil your holiday. I'm an experienced cruiser and it's been a learning experience for me as well.

I need a vacation after planning this one with Royal Caribbean. It's just too much work having to check prices every day just to be sure that they are not ripping me off. A good marketing department should make you feel like you are getting a deal even if you aren't. Their marketing department is just an insult to my intelligence and it just seems to be a big joke on this board.

I have been cruising since 1986. This is going to be my second cruise on Royal in 18yrs. After experiencing their pricing tactics I don't think that I will book with them again. I think they have a good product especially if you are sailing with multi generations but there are other lines out there who offer the same thing at better prices. Don't let this spoil your holiday. I'm an experienced cruiser and it's been a learning experience for me as well.

I need a vacation after planning this one with Royal Caribbean. It's just too much work having to check prices every day just to be sure that they are not ripping me off. A good marketing department should make you feel like you are getting a deal even if you aren't. Their marketing department is just an insult to my intelligence and it just seems to be a big joke on this board.

Most cruise lines operate in a similar manner with respect to pricing.

Just priced a 9 day Baltic cruise on Princess. One day free drink packages. The next day it was free gratuities and $900 cheaper.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

I have sympathy with you Plankton82 that your cruise with the free 'all inclusive’ is exactly the same cost as you paid the day before without all inclusive.

This almost never happens and people infact normally lose out with this promotion so that is really bad luck.

It is the luck of the draw when exactly to book amongst the minefield of ‘promotions’ and I have both gained and lost financially with it over the years.

Most cruise lines operate in a similar manner with respect to pricing.

Just priced a 9 day Baltic cruise on Princess. One day free drink packages. The next day it was free gratuities and $900 cheaper.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Forums mobile app

But those don't happen everyday like the BOGO does so at least there is a feeling that you are getting a sale even though the drink package seems to be added to the fare which is obvious by the $900 difference in price. I have found that the best deals on Princess come closer to the sail date.

It does sound like you've been really unlucky OP, RCL do vary their offers and pricing vastly from day to day but usually when they add the free drinks offer the prices go up. We have realised over the years that it's best to monitor the prices then book when we think there is a price we are happy with. Once we've booked we try not to look at prices again, sometimes we've got a real bargain other times we could probably have done better.

If this were me, I think I would cancel, lose the £300 deposit and rebook at the same price with the drink package. £300 for a drink package for 2 people for 7 nights is still a great deal for most people, even with just a couple of alcoholic drinks a day each you will probably end up spending more.

Julie