Carnival Fascination -- San Juan

carnival03

Would anyone happen to know the square footage of an ocean view vs. balcony on the Fascination? I would imagine the ocean view would have more square footage, correct?

Also, what are everyone's thoughts/experience on the Fascination? I'm really considering the itinerary out of San Juan, but the age of the ship deters me a bit, although I know the itinerary is for the islands and not the ship...

I've preferred sailing solo from San Juan on the Celebrity Summit, much nicer ship, better food, and lower solo price in December and January. The Fascination is way too old of a ship for me, I stopped sailing that class about a dozen years ago.

I love the fantasy class ships. They are smaller and I think the staff is more attentive and the lines are typically non existent.

The "regular" balcony cabins on this class are old ocean view room that had balconies added. This means they are probably the same size cabins since the balconies protrude off the side of the hull.

I love the fantasy class ships. They are smaller and I think the staff is more attentive and the lines are typically non existent.

The "regular" balcony cabins on this class are old ocean view room that had balconies added. This means they are probably the same size cabins since the balconies protrude off the side of the hull.

Good to know. We usually do balconies, but since this is a port intensive itinerary, I am considering going without... Just don't want to lose the space.

Do you find the same Carnival experience / quality on these ships as you do on others? It will obviously show its age in places, but does it feel "dingy"?

I have sailed this itinerary twice, once on Valor in 2013 and last year on Fascination. Although I can't compare to other cruise lines as these are the only two sailings I've ever done, I have to say both cruises were extremely enjoyable. We had 3 people in a balcony room on Fascination. It was definitely crowded, especially with the upper bed pulled down but as you stated, the itinerary is so port intensive that we pretty much only slept in the room. It was nice having the balcony to sit on while other members of the party where in the shower or getting ready to go out. Don't forget that Fascination just came out of dry dock to get some upgrades!! We didn't find the ship crowded at all and it was clean enough. Honestly, this itinerary is FANTASTIC and I wouldn't pass up a chance to do it again even on Fascination.

We sailed Fascination last month and found the ship to wonderful! Staff were all excellent and since it was recently upgraded, we didn't find that it felt old or dingy at all. Very clean and the upgraded cabins were nice and bright. We actually found long lines to be pretty much non-existent every time we went to eat on Lido. Pizza line was the best we've experienced so far as well. The only negative that I personally found was the Serenity area. Definitely small and located in the very back on deck 5 so had to go thru the comedy club to get there. Took me 2 days to figure that out LOL But overall, we loved Fascination.

I have sailed this itinerary twice, once on Valor in 2013 and last year on Fascination. Although I can't compare to other cruise lines as these are the only two sailings I've ever done, I have to say both cruises were extremely enjoyable. We had 3 people in a balcony room on Fascination. It was definitely crowded, especially with the upper bed pulled down but as you stated, the itinerary is so port intensive that we pretty much only slept in the room. It was nice having the balcony to sit on while other members of the party where in the shower or getting ready to go out. Don't forget that Fascination just came out of dry dock to get some upgrades!! We didn't find the ship crowded at all and it was clean enough. Honestly, this itinerary is FANTASTIC and I wouldn't pass up a chance to do it again even on Fascination.

We sailed Fascination last month and found the ship to wonderful! Staff were all excellent and since it was recently upgraded, we didn't find that it felt old or dingy at all. Very clean and the upgraded cabins were nice and bright. We actually found long lines to be pretty much non-existent every time we went to eat on Lido. Pizza line was the best we've experienced so far as well. The only negative that I personally found was the Serenity area. Definitely small and located in the very back on deck 5 so had to go thru the comedy club to get there. Took me 2 days to figure that out LOL But overall, we loved Fascination.

All good to hear. :cool: Glad you all had a great trip, thanks for the info!

Would anyone happen to know the square footage of an ocean view vs. balcony on the Fascination? I would imagine the ocean view would have more square footage, correct?

My experience has been the only difference between inside and ocean view is the window. I never thought the latter had more space.

I personally find no value in a window that cannot open and gets partially crusted over with dried salt.

My experience has been the only difference between inside and ocean view is the window. I never thought the latter had more space.

I personally find no value in a window that cannot open and gets partially crusted over with dried salt.

I sailed on the Fascination in 2016 on an ocean view cabin and found that the insides were pretty much the same size as the regular ocean view. Yeah I got to look into an inside pretty good the morning of debarkation since they were already cleaning it. Now having said that, the only reason I might consider an ocean view again would be maybe location. I love photography and ignorantly I sailed on an ocean view so I could catch a glimpse of the sunsets every day. I even picked the specific side of the ship I wanted the cabin to be at to be able to do just this. But the crud and dried salt on the window made it almost impossible to even look outside, not to mention taking a photo. Balconies on the Fascination are way overpriced IMHO. The jump in price from OV to BALC is much, much bigger than INT to OV and, like a previous poster added, balcony cabins are the same Sq. Ft. as OV since the balconies are just hull extensions.

I liked the Fascination in that it never felt crowded at all an lines were minimal (grill at lunch maybe the only exception). But I've been to the islands on this itinerary already a few times and since Carnival is not updating the itinerary (adding one island to an already intense itinerary doesn't count) or changing the ship (RCCL and NCL are going with much bigger ships at comparable prices) I jumped ship and will be trying out the "mega ship experience" on NCL's Epic in 2020 out of San Juan. It might just be 3 out of 5 new islands but that gives me two port stops to enjoy the ship since the repeat islands would not be a priority.

Just got off the Fascination and I guess we must have sailed on a different ship. Crowded would be an understatement to us. Food is a subjective matter but in our opinion we found it to be below par at best. Can't complain about the crew, they were great, especially Jomar, our cabin steward and Paul, waiter at the Blue Iguana Bar.

The window in our OV was ok for letting in light but so crusted over on the outside that there was no way to see very clearly. Yes, I realize it's a seagoing vessel and the salt accumulates but at every port they were cleaning one side of the ship however they never docked in such a way that there would be an opportunity to clean our side.

Any cruise is better than nothing but we will avoid this class of ships in the future. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions which is great, and if you like these ships have a blast but for us, we're looking forward to being on a Conquest class ship again in December.

JMHO YMMV

We just came off the Fascination in March. We were in a balcony which is a must for us, but particularly so on this ship. The balcony rooms are smaller than on Conquest class with only a chair so the balcony was really the only place for both of us to sit.

Depending on which itinerary, you will either have zero or one sea days. So this cruise is really about the ports so it makes the ship much less a factor IMHO. She has her 2.0 upgrades, so that is a plus. But with so many ports of call and with us being ashore 8-5 for 5 days, we really didn't mind the MDR as our only dinner option. Alchemy is right outside the Comedy Club - the two most likely places we frequent so it is perfect for us.

We really enjoyed this trip for the new ports of call, but did not come back rested like we normally do with more sea days. I am glad we did it one time, but not sure that I would chose that trip again, unless it was to new islands.

Just got off the Fascination and I guess we must have sailed on a different ship. Crowded would be an understatement to us. Food is a subjective matter but in our opinion we found it to be below par at best. Can't complain about the crew, they were great, especially Jomar, our cabin steward and Paul, waiter at the Blue Iguana Bar.

The window in our OV was ok for letting in light but so crusted over on the outside that there was no way to see very clearly. Yes, I realize it's a seagoing vessel and the salt accumulates but at every port they were cleaning one side of the ship however they never docked in such a way that there would be an opportunity to clean our side.

Any cruise is better than nothing but we will avoid this class of ships in the future. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions which is great, and if you like these ships have a blast but for us, we're looking forward to being on a Conquest class ship again in December.

JMHO YMMV

Your cabin must have been very close to ours because we also had Jomar. He was great! I however did not have the same experience with the crowds. There were a few days at breakfast that seemed crowded but the only other time we noticed was leaving the shows in the Palace Theater.

I was on the last sailing before the FEMA contract so it was cool to see the upgrades. The only place that felt “dingy” to me was the theater. I actually commented on the October sailing that it was a good thing the ship was going to dry dock because the theater seats needed upgrading. This wasn’t done. All of the other upgrades were great! I had Guys burgers three times I believe. I even went once when returning from the ship when only Guys, pizza, and the deli were open and had no line. One weird thing I noticed though, no new menu in the deli.

U140. Jomar has friended my wife on the book of faces.

Breakfast in the MDR was not crowded but many times in the Lido areas we felt jammed in. But as I said, that's just our take on it. Can hardly wait to be back on the Glory.

• 2 months later...

Just booked the Fascination for next year.

I booked an Ocean view room, and may be disappointed when looking out, as some have stated, so we will soon see. As for the square footage, it is 185 sq ft. I have heard that with the balcony, you have more room with the Ocean view, than a balcony. I have done inner, Ocean view, balcony, and really prefer inner, but thought we would try the Ocean view again, and see how it works out.

• 1 month later...

We're booked in an Interior on Deck 6, for November 24th, on the Fascination for $369. Last month I got an upgrade email to OV for about $135 more,. I didn't bite. Today, they offered a balcony on Main Deck for $744. I've never been in a balcony and wouldn't tell my wife until we got there.

I feel like it's not that great of a deal. Somebody prove me wrong please.

First of all let me say that we sailed the Fascination in February and will be sailing her again next February. We had a great cruise. The crew was great, the food was good, the ship was clean and we never waited in line for anything. Enjoy these ports you'll visit, they are the best in the Caribbean.

Now, 2 days before our cruise in February I received an upsell call for a move from an inside on deck 6 to an ocean view on deck 7 for $50 total. Ocean view on the web site was $210 more so I took the upsell and was very happy with the location, right off the atrium. Did you check the going price for the ocean view? I agree $135 does not appear to be a great deal. What is the going price for a balcony and what is the difference between that and what you paid per person? Where is the location of the room offered? To me location is very important. What is above and below the new room? Of course, only you can decide if it is a good deal or not. If you have already committed, forget about all the above. Go and have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your balcony.

Come back and write a review about your cruise.

We agree 100%! We have sailed Ecstasy, Elation, Inspiration, Fascination and Paradise x4 -- as well as other larger ships -- Fantasy are our favorite ships!

We sailed Fascination in a balcony cabin since her upgrades -- very roomy!

U140. Jomar has friended my wife on the book of faces.

Breakfast in the MDR was not crowded but many times in the Lido areas we felt jammed in. But as I said, that's just our take on it. Can hardly wait to be back on the Glory.

U148 last week with Jomar. He was great! :hearteyes:

We're booked in an Interior on Deck 6, for November 24th, on the Fascination for $369. Last month I got an upgrade email to OV for about $135 more,. I didn't bite. Today, they offered a balcony on Main Deck for $744. I've never been in a balcony and wouldn't tell my wife until we got there.

I feel like it's not that great of a deal. Somebody prove me wrong please.

Hi daddy. Of course no one can prove you wrong. Personally for $135 for a week sailing I would take the ov for the admittedly slight, poor view but more for some natural light. But otherwise it’s the same room and there are always ways to spend that $$ on other things if they are more important to you. Balcony is only worth it if you prefer to avoid activities and people but want to be outdoors for several hours per day. Keep in mind interior cabins tend to be easier to keep cool than ov or balconies. Sunlight fights the ac and neighbors on balconies leave doors open affecting the air in nearby rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good to know. We usually do balconies, but since this is a port intensive itinerary, I am considering going without... Just don't want to lose the space.

Do you find the same Carnival experience / quality on these ships as you do on others? It will obviously show its age in places, but does it feel "dingy"?

I did this cruise in April. The Fascination is great for this port intensive itinerary. I experienced no lines on embarkation day and minimal lines on debarkation day. Getting on and off the ship on port days was great with no lines at all. The ship is smaller but it has most of the features of the larger ships and it is easy to navigate. The food and crew are great and it was very clean so there was no issues with it being an older ship.

The new features on Fascination were great such as the Blue Iguana Pub and Cantina , the Red Frog Pub, Alchemy Bar, Bonsai Sushi Express and Guys Burger were all added recently. With all of these new features, you did even notice it was a smaller/older ship. I would sail on this ship/itinerary again.

Hi daddy. Of course no one can prove you wrong. Personally for $135 for a week sailing I would take the ov for the admittedly slight, poor view but more for some natural light. But otherwise it’s the same room and there are always ways to spend that $$ on other things if they are more important to you. Balcony is only worth it if you prefer to avoid activities and people but want to be outdoors for several hours per day. Keep in mind interior cabins tend to be easier to keep cool than ov or balconies. Sunlight fights the ac and neighbors on balconies leave doors open affecting the air in nearby rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After I paid in full on Monday, they called again and offered a balcony for $652 more. I can do a lot more with that money in MY pocket. Now, if they call again and it's $400 or less....I'll show some interest.

I did this cruise in April. The Fascination is great for this port intensive itinerary. I experienced no lines on embarkation day and minimal lines on debarkation day. Getting on and off the ship on port days was great with no lines at all. The ship is smaller but it has most of the features of the larger ships and it is easy to navigate. The food and crew are great and it was very clean so there was no issues with it being an older ship.

The new features on Fascination were great such as the Blue Iguana Pub and Cantina , the Red Frog Pub, Alchemy Bar, Bonsai Sushi Express and Guys Burger were all added recently. With all of these new features, you did even notice it was a smaller/older ship. I would sail on this ship/itinerary again.

This is good to know. We've decided against this for our next cruise, but I still would love to do this itinerary. Something to keep in mind...

We did this cruise in August 2016, so obviously the ship did not have these features. I was wondering since I think i remember reading that they were going to eliminate the Mongolian Wok whether they did that or not.

We did this cruise in August 2016, so obviously the ship did not have these features. I was wondering since I think i remember reading that they were going to eliminate the Mongolian Wok whether they did that or not.

Just got off the Fascination Sunday, the Wok is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums