Why cruises are better than land vacations

sweetlove13

Love both land and sea! A lot about why we like cruising has been mentioned except for the fact that I love being out in the middle of the ocean(a lethal environment if on your own) on a luxury liner.

I always go out the first sea day and find a place where I can look 365 degrees and see nothing but water-it's actually kind of amazing considering where we were as a species just 150 yrs ago.

Have seen many dolphins following along and jumping through the water and the dark blue color of the deep caribbean water is probably my favorite color. The air seems cleaner and easier to breathe and the morning sunrise is as beautiful as you will ever see coming over the horizon. Those are the things I probably enjoy the most about cruising although I admit to seeing fewer and fewer people enjoy a cruise in this fashion.

You pretty much nailed it for me. That is why I am usually out on deck before 5 AM every day. And I always have to do one last walk around out there before going to bed at night.

Another lover of both land and sea vacations.

On a cruise, I actually prefer sea days. The land portions are nice also, but I also cannot see trying to see a major destination (like Med cities) in part of a day. I would rather just fly there and do several days to a week or more in one location and really see it.

So we mix them up. Cruise last August and next August. Land vacation next month and over the holidays.

You pretty much nailed it for me. That is why I am usually out on deck before 5 AM every day. And I always have to do one last walk around out there before going to bed at night.

I’m out there with you bud! One of the coolest and most surreal things I’ve ever seen is cruising through the Alaskan islands at night with a full moon on Serenade. It was so amazing and my wife and I were about the only ones out there enjoying it-I couldn’t believe it-we had that all to ourselves-worth every penny of the cruise right there.

I love cruising for different reasons, but mainly because I love the ocean, I love being at sea. But I can't say that they're any better than a land vacation. My favorite vacations are probably Hawaii. As for friendly people, I went to Ireland for 10 days in May, and toured around the country. Those were probably among the most friendly people I've ever encountered. Every night we had new friends in the pubs.

We're cruising again in May next year, and really looking forward to a relaxing vacation of not packing and unpacking every few days. We were exhausted after Ireland. lol But when I really want to experience a destination, I do a land vacation.

I love cruising for different reasons, but mainly because I love the ocean, I love being at sea. But I can't say that they're any better than a land vacation. My favorite vacations are probably Hawaii. As for friendly people, I went to Ireland for 10 days in May, and toured around the country. Those were probably among the most friendly people I've ever encountered. Every night we had new friends in the pubs.

We're cruising again in May next year, and really looking forward to a relaxing vacation of not packing and unpacking every few days. We were exhausted after Ireland. lol

That is exactly how I have found the pubs in London to be.

I do the same. the only time I don't mind a cruise that is going there is if it is an eight nigher or longer. I look at the stop at Labadee as a trade off for the longer cruise.

Totally true. I am on Oasis western in a few weeks ( the others have been ...and are...eastern) to make up for the lost time we usually spent in the Florida Keys this time of the year. Last minute booking...killer deal on a JS guarantee.

To me, Labadee is a "calm sea day" but with the addition of an early morning walk just after breakfast for some exercise and then back on the ship for the day. :cool:

I’m out there with you bud! One of the coolest and most surreal things I’ve ever seen is cruising through the Alaskan islands at night with a full moon on Serenade. It was so amazing and my wife and I were about the only ones out there enjoying it-I couldn’t believe it-we had that all to ourselves-worth every penny of the cruise right there.

Twice on Radiance...both with favorite cabin 9256 (huge aft wrap balcony with views on both sides of the inland passage at once). This last time, we did a B2B...heavenly!

I think my favorite is the sail away from Skagway. Wow!! :hearteyes:

We have done land trips the past 2 years in addition to our cruises. The cost is usually more for land trips unless you stay in budget hotels and eat cheaply during the day. We like not having to think about what to eat based on price. Resort food is really high. $20 for a burger by the pool with tip. It adds up.

I like unpacking once and nightly entertainment. Shows are included, not the same as Vegas but good nonetheless. No seperate charge for those. All inclusives have a show each night but not as varied.

We love the ocean and spend time walking at night around the promanade. Can't get that or the views we love on land.

Cruising is a relaxing trip, and an easy way to get a glimpse of a place you may want to go back to later.

There are certain experiences you get on a cruise that you can’t really get other ways. Sailing up through glacier bay on a foggy morning and getting so close to a glacier face you can hear the ice crack.... Sitting in a hot whirlpool and smelling the fresh sea air. Eating three different dessert because you just can’t choose one...

Apparently I am not alone in preferring a sea day to a port call at Labadee - what a dismal, ersatz "Caribbean" experience. It makes Falmouth almost seem worth a stop.

You are not alone at all. On one cruise I organized a "LAP" (Labadee Alternative Party) which was a pretty good get together with wine tasting. :)

Twice on Radiance...both with favorite cabin 9256 (huge aft wrap balcony with views on both sides of the inland passage at once). This last time, we did a B2B...heavenly!

I think my favorite is the sail away from Skagway. Wow!! :hearteyes:

Ooh we’re in your room on the Radiance next Jan/Feb, having been in same room on the Jewel back in June. That balcony is a great place to be. NZ Sounds here we come!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did a dummy booking of Sandals in Montego Bay included my airfare for a week stay on the same date (all inclusive) and found that the Oasis, same week and length of time, balcony cabin and included the ultimate dining package and the ultimate beverage package, included the zoom with two devices and $200 in tips.....included the nights stay at Residence Inn Port Canaveral and the cruise Is still cheaper.

I can't understand for the life of me how people say they fighting for a chair at the pool, I always see so many empty ones.

I agree - I think cruising is a great price for what you get. I have priced Beaches for our spring break vacations and it’s over 10,000 for the 4 of us. I have 2 balcony rooms on Harmony for spring break 2019 and it’s under 4,000. Add drink packages and we are about half of what it costs and I didn’t include airfare in either price. But for a family who can vacation every 2-3 year’s price is important or I would have to 5-6 years to do that beaches resort. DH just doesn’t want to sit at the beach all day and we would never venture out to pay extra for food etc that was included in the resort. Normally we go back to the ship to eat at ports then go back out if time allows. DH hates to spend extra when we already paid for it on the ship in a sense.

But for me cruising will be my vacations until my kids are older and we can do intensive land vacations - right now cruising is a good balance

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We generally prefer longer land trips, with a cruise for relaxation somewhere in between.

We get tried of cruise food in a hurry. We often want spend more time and experience more things than there is time for in a port stop. And sometimes the port stop is simply too far away from the attraction that we want to see.

It depends on what part of the world we're visiting. I guess it really depends on if you're going for the cruise experience or to see/do/experience in greater depth where you're going. For us the ONLY way to go is a cruise if we're going to the Caribbean, Bermuda or Alaska. Not so much to other parts of the world. For Europe/Asia Pacific we prefer river cruises in Europe,second choice would be a land tour, and land tours to Asia and Australia .We've done 2 "oceanliner" cruises to Europe and won't again. Just don't have enough time in any port, only visit coastal cities, rarely any opportunity for nightlife in any ports, and sometimes major cities they say you'll be visiting are actually a port city that sometimes is an hour or more away. Not to mention on some of those, tours and excursions can cost as much as the cruise.

As a relatively new cruise junkie (getting ready for our 7th next year) and someone who has enjoyed many all-inclusive beach vacations with our kids and other couples, I see the great points of both but we have figured out a great combo. Addicted to European travel, we start most of our trips in a major city some distance from our embarkation port. We then take a week or so exploring a different route to our destination before parking our suitcases under the bed in our cabin. We then enjoy whatever we can see in the ports on our itinerary before repeating the land exploration during the week after our cruise. Yes, we're now fortunate enough to be able to spend 3-4 weeks in Europe whenever we go but the chance to rent a car and drive through Tuscany or catch a train to unexplored gems like Chiavenna as well as enjoy the pampering luxury of cruising has turned out to be vacation nirvana for us. With a little research and price stalking we have been able to do these trips for much less than you would think and can't imagine doing one part without the other for the foreseeable future.

I prefer cruise vacations, we just did a 10 day guided tour in Italy, and living out of the suitcase and having to get up at 6 am everyday (except in the cities where we had 2 days) to have our luggage out for pickup and then an early breakfast and on the bus by 8 am was exhausting, we need a vacation from our vacation now. Plus the meals included on some nights was really poor and the included breakfasts were just ok.

With a cruise you get into your cabin and unpack, you have great food and food choices every meal and in between, you can sleep in if you want on sea days and you can still see a lot of places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I prefer cruise vacations, we just did a 10 day guided tour in Italy, and living out of the suitcase and having to get up at 6 am everyday (except in the cities where we had 2 days) to have our luggage out for pickup and then an early breakfast and on the bus by 8 am was exhausting, we need a vacation from our vacation now. Plus the meals included on some nights was really poor and the included breakfasts were just ok.

With a cruise you get into your cabin and unpack, you have great food and food choices every meal and in between, you can sleep in if you want on sea days and you can still see a lot of places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please realize there are other types of land vacations other than organized bus tours..Yuck. I'm sure a villa in Tuscany or Provence would have been a little more relaxing.