Storm ahead - advise please

Hi all,

My family and I are seasoned cruisers however it is our family friends first time and they are nervous about cruising as it is. I have seen the weather and ON THE FIRST DAY/NIGHT we are expecting a storm with 70mph+ winds or Beaufort scale 11 with large waves... They will 100% feel the motion of the ocean.

Rough seas and high waves on day one of your first cruise will put them off crusing on day one!!!!!

Any advise on how we can ensure they won't be put off for life ????? 😜😜

P.S we are sailing on Saturday 21st Oct on the Indie.

Thank you.

Yes, looks like your first few hours are going to be rough, make sure they know to take any sea sickness medication before you sail, don't wait until they start to feel ill. I've always found that Bonine works for me even in really rough seas.

It does look like it won't be so bad by sunday morning though, I'm sure they will soon forget it and enjoy the cruise.

Julie

Hi all,

My family and I are seasoned cruisers however it is our family friends first time and they are nervous about cruising as it is. I have seen the weather and ON THE FIRST DAY/NIGHT we are expecting a storm with 70mph+ winds or Beaufort scale 11 with large waves... They will 100% feel the motion of the ocean.

Rough seas and high waves on day one of your first cruise will put them off crusing on day one!!!!!

Any advise on how we can ensure they won't be put off for life ????? [emoji12][emoji12]

P.S we are sailing on Saturday 21st Oct on the Indie.

Thank you.

If it helps, on day one of my first cruise - eons and many cruises ago - we ran into a bad storm. I had no reference, but some crew we spoke with said it was the worst that they had seen. I didn’t get seasick - not everyone does - and I’ve been cruising many times since!

Hope you have calm seas and a great cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it was 2007. Day/Night 1 (for about 36 hours or so) we had 42' waves + or - of course. Waves crashing over the bow, etc.... (Explorer OTS)

In my opinion, the first days of a cruise are the best time to have bad weather. By the end of the cruise, everything will be smooth sailing, and THAT'S what they'll remember.

I take these ginger candies called Gin Gin’s and swear by them. They are made for travel sickness so if I ever feel a bit queasy then I suck on this and it makes me feel better very quickly. You need to like the taste of ginger though.

Alcohol....it seems totally illogical, but it works. During my first cruise, the waters were churned up due to a hurricane for the first 2 days or so. A seasoned vet told me to drink, which made no sense. I did, and it actually worked. I don't get seasick often, but when I do, a tequila sunrise usually does the trick.

Alcohol....it seems totally illogical, but it works. During my first cruise, the waters were churned up due to a hurricane for the first 2 days or so. A seasoned vet told me to drink, which made no sense. I did, and it actually worked. I don't get seasick often, but when I do, a tequila sunrise usually does the trick.

I have to agree! Our very 1st cruise was so rough, walking up or down the stairs was nearly impossible...the ship would suddenly "drop" out from under you...just when you're about to put your foot on the next step....Yikes! But, we stayed tipsy, and found it hard to tell if it was the ship moving or us just being a bit drunk!

I have to agree! Our very 1st cruise was so rough, walking up or down the stairs was nearly impossible...the ship would suddenly "drop" out from under you...just when you're about to put your foot on the next step....Yikes! But, we stayed tipsy, and found it hard to tell if it was the ship moving or us just being a bit drunk!

Was on the tail end of a hurricane one year, was pretty rough. I will go to the gym or running track during a cruise to slightly offset my eating and drinking. This time it was raining outside so I was running on the treadmill and several times on putting my foot down there was nothing there. It did not make for a pleasant run. Gave it up after that.

But my wife and I both love the rougher seas. Just makes it feel more fun for us.

I take these ginger candies called Gin Gin’s and swear by them. They are made for travel sickness so if I ever feel a bit queasy then I suck on this and it makes me feel better very quickly. You need to like the taste of ginger though.

Yes! These are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree and go outside and get some fresh air and look at the sea/horizon. Even if it’s raining fresh air and booze will do the trick.

Bonine tablets (I take them everyday as a preemptive measure and have never gotten sick. Last cruise we went through some rough seas and most of my party was out of commission but I was fine). Also drink some ginger ale and have a green apple if you're already feeling sick. Sea bands are a good preemptive measure as well. I always wear mine.