Jeans Turned Away on Gala Night

ithaca gal

Judging by the vast majority of passengers who chose NOT to dress down to the lowest allowable denominator on Gala Night, HAL has got it just right now.

Not exactly. You are not using the Metadata that HAL is, you are judging by what you guess the majority opinion is, and therein lies the problem--You are only guessing.

They 'got it right just now' in terms of meeting the corporate CLL profit margins, but from an entertainment standpoint a lot of the users on this forum have some serious complaints, so they don't "have it just right" at all in this regard.

The fashion dilemmas of shorts in MDR or jeans on GALA night is too polarized on this board, thus no argument will ever prevail here, so why bother.

Closing statement, HAL has the data, we don't. I think they know what they are doing and they know there are some challenges to be dealt with.

We like HAL and if we are designated old that’s OK with us too. There’s a reason there’s so many different cruise lines. I like to relax, eat good ( to me) food, needn’t be gourmet top of the line, just good decent food, have a few bars and some interesting presentations. I like to sit on my veranda and read and call room service to bring me things. I like to look at the art. I like to people watch and I like to dress for dinner. Now I don’t wear a gown and tiara but I dress as if I were going to a nice restaurant. A pair of black pants goes a long way. I don’t like a lot of noise. I don’t like enforced activity. I don’t like children running amok with parents who ignore them. I don’t care to have a rock wall , water slide or mini golf on board...ok maybe mini golf, lol. See that’s why there are different cruise lines for different folks. I would wager that even though people are young now,as they age , their tastes will change and they too may seek what I have found in HAL. I’ve changed a lot from 56 to 63. I imagine one or two others will too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think a lot of how people expect "dress" to be has more to do with them than just their age.

I am in my mid-30s, and I have always loved to dress up, my husband as well.

Not tuxes and gowns, bu on our last cruise on Royal Caribbean I wore a dress every night, and he wore slacks and a button up shirt every night (sometimes a tie, or a vest) and full suit, vest, tie, jacket for formal nights.

My thinking is, I'm sitting to a tablecloth, multi-course dinner and being served, I want to dress up.

However, I've seen on cruises, and in upscale restaurants locally, where there are some people wearing almost gym clothes, or dirty, ripped jeans and hats...all older than us....When the meal is costing 300+ for 2...I feel it's out of the ordinary to expect some higher dress standards.

Personally, for me the people dressed down don't bother me, it just seems out of place, and I don't give it too much attention since I'm there enjoying who I am with (we might be making judgy comments at our table though, hahaha).

It is funny that once we spoke with a maitre d’ about the lack of attire on formal nights (this was before the change to Gala Night attire). He told us that when they turn people away they risk getting a lower survey score...so they would rather have people in there out of dress code than ticking them off and risking getting a bad score.

It is funny that once we spoke with a maitre d’ about the lack of attire on formal nights (this was before the change to Gala Night attire). He told us that when they turn people away they risk getting a lower survey score...so they would rather have people in there out of dress code than ticking them off and risking getting a bad score.

That's not really logical, though, because that puts them at risk of getting a low score from the people who are ticked off by the inappropriate attire.

That's not really logical, though, because that puts them at risk of getting a low score from the people who are ticked off by the inappropriate attire.

Whether it is logical or not will depend upon the ratio of people who don't really care what other wear to those who do. Since the cruise line is favoring those who do dress casually tells me there are more like that than there are "who get ticked off by inappropriate attire."

That’s what we said. His response was that they believe people would remember more that they were turned away rather than others around them out of attire. Sounded like a loaded line to us.

Whether it is logical or not will depend upon the ratio of people who don't really care what other wear to those who do. Since the cruise line is favoring those who do dress casually tells me there are more like that than there are "who get ticked off by inappropriate attire."

But there is a full dining room of people who DID follow the guidelines so how can you say what they PREFERRED? Only a FEW challenged the guidelines and showed up in jeans or shorts.

But there is a full dining room of people who DID follow the guidelines so how can you say what they PREFERRED? Only a FEW challenged the guidelines and showed up in jeans or shorts.

You're confusing compliance with agreement. Just because someone follows a rule doesn't necessarily mean they like the rule. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't need dress codes would we?

we just returned from a 7 day cruise on the Eurodam

On the first Gala Night, a couple came to the MDR with the man wearing jeans with multiple holes in them, a T-shirt and a ball cap.

The maitre’d politely asked asked that they dine elsewhere.

(Almost all men dining in the MDR that night had a tie on or were wearing a jacket and tie.)

That doesn't mean that some one wearing 'nice jeans', a polo shirt, and without a ball cap would have also been asked to dine elsewhere.

I think a lot of how people expect "dress" to be has more to do with them than just their age.

I am in my mid-30s, and I have always loved to dress up, my husband as well.

Not tuxes and gowns, bu on our last cruise on Royal Caribbean I wore a dress every night, and he wore slacks and a button up shirt every night (sometimes a tie, or a vest) and full suit, vest, tie, jacket for formal nights.

My thinking is, I'm sitting to a tablecloth, multi-course dinner and being served, I want to dress up.

However, I've seen on cruises, and in upscale restaurants locally, where there are some people wearing almost gym clothes, or dirty, ripped jeans and hats...all older than us....When the meal is costing 300+ for 2...I feel it's out of the ordinary to expect some higher dress standards.

Personally, for me the people dressed down don't bother me, it just seems out of place, and I don't give it too much attention since I'm there enjoying who I am with (we might be making judgy comments at our table though, hahaha).

(y)

On this forum there seems to be a stereotype of the younger cruiser being the one who wants to dress casually every night. IMO the CCers who say HAL's dress code is a turn off are sometimes a bit older themselves, and feel younger in casual clothes.

I am 71 a professional, and having worn a suit for many years I do not want to put one on again if it can be avoided. I just returned from a Celebriry Baltic cruise where entire tables were in Black Tie and jewels. While I did wear a coat and dress shirt it would have been horrible had I been assigned to one of the formal tables. Frankly given the business dress today I have no problem feeling comfortable in nice jeans, black t-shirt and sport coat. HAL has always seemed reasonable and relaxed to me but if a tie is mandatory I will not be there. Probably will eat in Pinnacle that night instead.

I am 71 a professional, and having worn a suit for many years I do not want to put one on again if it can be avoided. I just returned from a Celebriry Baltic cruise where entire tables were in Black Tie and jewels. While I did wear a coat and dress shirt it would have been horrible had I been assigned to one of the formal tables. Frankly given the business dress today I have no problem feeling comfortable in nice jeans, black t-shirt and sport coat. HAL has always seemed reasonable and relaxed to me but if a tie is mandatory I will not be there. Probably will eat in Pinnacle that night instead.

It’s surprising what some people consider to be the dealbreaker these days.

Cruise lines that try to hang onto the outdated dress codes face mounting pressure to change, and they will do so or they will fail to remain competitive.

I disagree - the jean wearing cap wearing folks will go to a more casual line and those of us who like to dress and don't mind following rules will love it

We hear ya. But consider this. What happens when I show up to a gala night dinner (in the MDR) in my skimpy swim suit (I am a senior) with my hairy chest hanging over the table? I know this seems ridiculous, but 10 years ago somebody wearing holy jeans with a baseball cap would have been viewed in a similar way. Or how about a 90 year old lady coming into the MDR topless? On HAL it will only be a matter of time till a senior shows up sporting the latest in "Depend" fashion?

By your reckoning that would all be fine. They would just go to the nudist or skimpy dress line...and then end up at your table :).

Hank

It is really easy for us. HAL sets the rules. They also make the call. The 'call' sometimes does not match the rule, or should I say the suggestion.

When we are not wearing what is required for formal evenings in the MDR we eat elsewhere on all lines. Not in our room but either at the buffet or in an optional venue where our attire is accepted.

We agree, HAL is well behind in meeting the requirements and desires of many people in the demographic that they seem to be courting or at least the demographic that they seem to pretend to court. Alas, they are so far behind that they seem to have lost the plot on so many different levels whether it be dress, entertainment, or even optional venues. I think they may be pleasing those who want to cruise down memory lane. Other than that, their competition is quickly overtaking them.

Good by.

DON

With the sport coat, and assuming the jeans and black tee shirt are the dressy kind, I think you should be good to go on HAL, any night, any table on the ship. (y)

However, if people take advantage of it and dumb it down from there (tee shirts with writing, distressed-look jeans, etc.), then HAL naturally needs to raise the bar to end the nonsense.

Personally, I opt for the dress shirt, tie, and slacks (plus sport coat). We don't have many outings throughout the year that give us a chance to dress "formal".

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

Really? If you are stewing because someone else was not dressed to “standards “ AND you are still mad enough about it later to give a low score...well, I’d say the issue is the ticked off diner not the dress code breaker.

A mental issue.

I would like it if people dressed well every night in the dining room. There are jeans that are dressy (you can spend $200 on what they used to call designer jeans) and they would be fine for me every night except a gala night. I hate ball caps in the dining room. This isn’t Carnival or Disney.

Can’t we all try and look decent for one meal a day?

I would like it if people dressed well every night in the dining room. There are jeans that are dressy (you can spend $200 on what they used to call designer jeans) and they would be fine for me every night except a gala night. I hate ball caps in the dining room. This isn’t Carnival or Disney.

Can’t we all try and look decent for one meal a day?

My designer overalls only cost me $27.95 plus tax. :D

Since this topic has been covered 12,231 times since the beginning of this site I wish to add my two cents; though it's been covered before. Baseball caps in MDR. I agree totally that they should not be worn in MDR but years ago I wore a cap in the MDR to cover a temporary medical issue. So be careful if you blast someone for wearing a cap. At least I did not wear my Bass Pro Shop hunting cap :D

This thread is hilarious. I guess after the smoking issues and threads were beaten down the posters on this forum need a new boogeyman. Wearing jeans in the restaurants is the new pariah.

But seriously, smoking thread ran for over a hundred pages and was continually reborn as time went on. Jeans in restaurants needs to step up their game if they have any chance of getting close.

So keep on posting the end is nowhere in sight.

Recent changes in MDR suggestions/rules/code reflect HAL's apparent decision to compete with NCL rather than Cunard.

An interesting move for a line which still has a particulat distinction: a fleet of relatively smaller ships and a fairly large following of tradition-minded repeat cruisers.

Are they possibly making a mistake by trying to join a number of bigger fish in the same pool, rather than carving out their own niche, and possibly raising fares somewhat to be able to offer the sort of amenities which would really set them apart.