Jeans Turned Away on Gala Night

ithaca gal

What a first-world problem. I’d like to hear what the Indonesian crew member who is scratching out a living for the family back home thinks of the guy in stringy jeans with a ball cap or the high and the haughty pretending it’s first class Cunard. Personally, I never noticed anyone poorly dressed in the MDR because I was too busy enjoying my food and the conversation. Bon appétit.;)

I'm confident that you are but that isn't the issue.

Some love to tell those who do not meet some definition of appropriate dress that they should dine in the lido or their rooms or look for a different cruise line.

If it's fair to tell those who wish to wear blue jeans that they should dine in their rooms, it is equally fair to tell those who are offended by the sight of a ball cap the same thing.

If it's fair to tell those who wish to wear blue jeans that they sail on Carnival, it is equally fair to tell those who are offended by the sight of a ball cap that they should sail on Cunard.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that most just want the published rules enforced and followed? That’s it, no judging of who wears what. If jeans and ball caps were allowed then this thread would not exist. We all make decisions on which cruise line to sail which is probably based on a number of factors that may include cost, dress code, smoking policy, itinerary etc. To ask and expect those who sail HAL to follow published rules seems like a reasonable expectation to most of us. It’s not about power, judging, dictating, name calling.....just follow the rules.

Why is it so hard for you to understand that most just want the published rules enforced and followed? That’s it, no judging of who wears what. If jeans and ball caps were allowed then this thread would not exist. We all make decisions on which cruise line to sail which is probably based on a number of factors that may include cost, dress code, smoking policy, itinerary etc. To ask and expect those who sail HAL to follow published rules seems like a reasonable expectation to most of us. It’s not about power, judging, dictating, name calling.....just follow the rules.

Are you saying that passengers cannot advocate for changes to the rules?

Question: how do you know that "... most just want the published rules enforced and followed?"

I've been following this thread for a few days now. Just thought I'd add my thoughts. For background, DW and I have been cruising since tux and evening gowns were REQUIRED after 6PM. Been cruising HAL since the old Statendam in 1981 to Bermuda. Anyway, I totally understand gala night and don't have a problem with it. It's not like you don't know it's coming. I had a bad experience a few cruises ago though. By choice and cruise length we decided we would not participate in gala night. I wore a polo shirt and slacks and DW wore a blouse & pants. We didn't even attempt to enter MDR and just figured we would eat at the Lido. To our surprise we found the Lido mostly closed and what food was available was pretty unappetizing. No problem, went back to our stateroom and ordered room service. 2 hours later (almost 10PM) it arrived with no utensils and pretty soggy and cold. Now, like I said, I don't have a problem with gala nights and I won't pass judgement about proper clothing. BUT, the ship could have at least offered edible food at other venues. You guessed it! We went to bed hungry that night. That's all I'm saying. I would have expected better.

Some ships have Johnny Rockets and Guys Burgers.

Hal should open a Waffle House and the jeans ball cap wearers can go there. For authenticity the cook will smoke cigs while he's flipping your burger

That might not work..HAL's standards for cleanliness are pretty high..and the few Waffle Houses I've been in..not so much..but it'd have to be to be authentic:')

Are you saying that passengers cannot advocate for changes to the rules?

Question: how do you know that "... most just want the published rules enforced and followed?"

Those passengers might be better advised to choose lines which have rules with which they are comfortable - than to "advocate for change".

And, it is not an outrageous supposition to consider that thinking passengers are aware of the "published rules" of lines they choose to sail.

Have people been denied access to.the dining room on gala nights for wearing a cap or other head wear?

See OP, it was jeans and a ball cap and they were denied.

OP stated that the man wore jeans, a tee shirt, and a ball cap, and he was asked to dine elsewhere.

The jeans and the shirt without a collar are against the rules. The ball cap is not.

If he had slacks and a collared shirt on he would have been allowed to dine there wearing his head wear. Just as he would not likely have been denied access for wearing sandals or running shoes, Hawaiian shirt, etc.

I have never seen anyone turned away for a ball cap.

I am not aware of a mainstream cruise line that has not become more casual, and less rigid when it comes to acceptable dress. For better or worse.

BTW, I typically wear a blazer on the flight to a cruise, and wear a button down shirt and slacks on the dressier nights of any cruise.

OP stated that the man wore jeans, a tee shirt, and a ball cap, and he was asked to dine elsewhere.

The jeans and the shirt without a collar are against the rules. The ball cap is not.

If he had slacks and a collared shirt on he would have been allowed to dine there wearing his head wear. Just as he would not likely have been denied access for wearing sandals or running shoes, Hawaiian shirt, etc.

I have never seen anyone turned away for a ball cap.

I am not aware of a mainstream cruise line that has not become more casual, and less rigid when it comes to acceptable dress. For better or worse.

BTW, I typically wear a blazer on the flight to a cruise, and wear a button down shirt and slacks on the dressier nights of any cruise.

No, OP said: "jeans with multiple holes in them, a T-shirt and a ball cap".

Those passengers might be better advised to choose lines which have rules with which they are comfortable - than to "advocate for change".

I suppose one who wished to advocate for a return to formal nights would also be "better advised to choose lines which have rules with which they are comfortable - than to "advocate for change"?

And, it is not an outrageous supposition to consider that thinking passengers are aware of the "published rules" of lines they choose to sail.

If you think most passengers read "the published rules", then how do you explain the numerous posters asking questions about "the published rules"?

I suppose one who wished to advocate for a return to formal nights would also be "better advised to choose lines which have rules with which they are comfortable - than to "advocate for change"?

If I wish a more formal experience, I will seek a line which provides it. I will not “advocate for change” once I have accepted terms by booking — which is essentially what this entire thread is about.

If you think most passengers read "the published rules", then how do you explain the numerous posters asking questions about "the published rules"?

Easy: the World is full of self-absorbed twits who want things their way - and not necessarily the way they were intended to be.

(some text deleted)

Possibly they don't know because they didn't bother to look up the rules. I think it's more likely that they have read the rules, don't like them, and have come here in search of validation of their dislike of the rules. Maybe hoping that they will be told "It's OK, you don't have to follow the rules."

Possibly they don't know because they didn't bother to look up the rules. I think it's more likely that they have read the rules, don't like them, and have come here in search of validation of their dislike of the rules. Maybe hoping that they will be told "It's OK, you don't have to follow the rules."

Totally agree.

That's the feeling I have had too ;)

They might be looking for validation but that isn't a smart thing. I can imagine the conversation with the matre'd that begins: "But "BigTexFromHouston' on Cruise Critic told me I could wear a ball cap."

I'm betting on "they didn't bother to look up the rules". I know quite a few people 'don't like to read the manual'. They would rather ask someone.

You see the same thing on the cruise critic cell phone threads, people asking "how do I avoid a big cell phone bill?" They would rather rely upon the advice of an anonymous internet poster than ask their cell phone provider.

Of course foster that attitude with telling people they will get more reliable information here than by calling the cruise line.

nicely put OldSalt -- thanks -- 25 years is a very long time until it passes -

there is a reason there are many cruise lines -- I don't like the floating cities either - HAL is our favorite for many reasons

I sail on HAL because I get a very relaxing cruise and have NEVER had loud mouthed drunks bouncing off the walls of the corridors at 3am! Oh, how I love being in my late sixties. :)