Compensation for airline tickets when NCL cancels cruise

elruth

NCL cancelled our cruise. I paid $ 845.00 for 2 airline tickets. I had insurance thru airline but they said no reimbursement as they don't cover when a cruise line cancels a cruise. I sent some info to NCL re: this and I was hoping that they would refund up to $ 300.00 per person for each ticket. I cancelled the tickets as we would not use them within 6 months and I didn't want to pay the $ 200 penalty per person for changing the ticket. I sure hope NCL offers some reimbursement even if I cancelled the airline tickets. Anybody deal with this already?

Sorry but the general consensus on Cruise Critic is that the "up to $300 refund" only seems to hold if you have had a cruise cancelled and you then book another cruise which necessitated a change in air tickets.

Had you changed the ticket and the cost was only $200 pp NCL would have then only paid you $200 pp.

NCL cancelled our cruise. I paid $ 845.00 for 2 airline tickets. I had insurance thru airline but they said no reimbursement as they don't cover when a cruise line cancels a cruise. I sent some info to NCL re: this and I was hoping that they would refund up to $ 300.00 per person for each ticket. I cancelled the tickets as we would not use them within 6 months and I didn't want to pay the $ 200 penalty per person for changing the ticket. I sure hope NCL offers some reimbursement even if I cancelled the airline tickets. Anybody deal with this already?

Please refer to this thread https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2652928

Sorry but the general consensus on Cruise Critic is that the "up to $300 refund" only seems to hold if you have had a cruise cancelled and you then book another cruise which necessitated a change in air tickets.

Had you changed the ticket and the cost was only $200 pp NCL would have then only paid you $200 pp.

Bottom line, NCL doesn't give a rats azz for their customers, their bottom line is $$$$$ and shareholders

Bottom line, NCL doesn't give a rats azz for their customers, their bottom line is $$$$$ and shareholders

Well they do care about upholding their brand name and customer retention. This is evidenced by the offer to pay up to $300 airline change fees and 10% off anything in their fleet. The $25 obc is an absolute joke but the other components are quite adequate for many passengers.

I would suggest op talking to the airline and see if they will issue some sort of credit for a future flight even though op evidently canceled non refundable tickets.

I know Cruise contracts are long and cumbersome but the cancelation notice was pretty clear and concise. Ncl will pay up to $300 airline change fees if passengers rebook another sailing. That clearly doesn’t equate to, “cancel your non refundable airfare and we’ll send you $300.”

Op- sorry your cruise was canceled. Frustrating for sure.

Well they do care about upholding their brand name and customer retention. This is evidenced by the offer to pay up to $300 airline change fees and 10% off anything in their fleet. The $25 obc is an absolute joke but the other components are quite adequate for many passengers.

I would suggest op talking to the airline and see if they will issue some sort of credit for a future flight even though op evidently canceled non refundable tickets.

I know Cruise contracts are long and cumbersome but the cancelation notice was pretty clear and concise. Ncl will pay up to $300 airline change fees if passengers rebook another sailing. That clearly doesn’t equate to, “cancel your non refundable airfare and we’ll send you $300.”

Op- sorry your cruise was canceled. Frustrating for sure.

I stand by my original statement, they don't care as the amount of passengers inconvenienced by a canceled cruise is a drop in the bucket on the over all tally of passengers.

You are between a rock and a hard place because if you wait until last minute to book air, especially international air you are paying through the nose, refundable tickets are $$$$.

!0% on the average cruise is peanuts, if you paid $2000 your discount is $200

There are several NCL cruises leaving that week.

Guess she didn't like the itineraries or didn't fully check

I know I'm booked for the Baltics a tix to Copenhagen back in Feb I paid 845 that same exact tix now is 1958, big difference.

Booked on trans atlantic for April 2019 when I'm ready to book air because of all these stories I'll suck it up and pay for refundable air as the only way NCL insurance would pay is if you booked air with them, I don't because they keep you in the dark as far as times, carrier until about 30 days out and air insurance it seems don't cover if cruise line cancelled

There are several NCL cruises leaving that week.

There’s also evidently some lower priced alternatives on RCI and celebrity that fit dates/flights.

I didn’t realize op had another thread on the airfare subject. Canceling non refundable flights after the letter from Ncl AND after suggestions on their other thread not to do this is a set up for no flights, no cruise and lost $.

In cases like this it may be better to just plan an entire vacation, including Cruise line airfare, Cruise line insurance, ship excursions, hotel and cruise line transfers. Yes you pay a lot more but making costly self planning errors because you are unable to comprehend t&c of what you’re purchasing are somewhat negated.

Canceling non refundable flights after the letter from Ncl AND after suggestions on their other thread not to do this is a set up for no flights, no cruise and lost $.

Yes....just cancelling at this point when it is still months away was the worst decision possible.

We cruised on the Star out of Venice last year right after they were having the Azipod problems. Instead of worrying about having to pay any airline change fees, I found several other cruises with the same dates from Venice. Luckily, the Star got fixed so we didn't have to make any changes.

It appears the $300 is all you are going to get. Do you have cruise insurance? Of course I don't know if that would help either, but there are reasons why cruise insurance is a good investment.

Regardless or what insurance you may have and even if it doesn't cover this situation, there are other cruises out there of other vacations that should work for you rather than simply cancelling. This topic has been discussed here over and over just worded a little differently.

Edited by newmexicoNita