Need help getting refund for cancelled plane reservations

elruth

NCL cancelled our Nov cruise. I had insurance through American Airlines for our plane tickets etc. Sent in the info to the insurance co and they just now told me my insurance doesn't cover a Cruiseline cancelling a cruise. Ergo: no reimbursement for our plane tickets.

I have insurance through NCL. I had talked to someone weeks ago and they said I had to seek reimbursement first from the airlines and then if they didn't reimburse to send in info and NCL would then see if the $ 300.00 max per ticket applies. This is a royal pain. I am 78 and have no idea what to do. I went to www.ncl.com/case submission and am not sure how to fill out the forms.

I am SO irritated with NCL for cancelling the Nov cruise. I now talked to someone who told me that we will get no reimbursement since we didn't booked the plane tickets thru ncl. WHAT?? I need some advice re: what to do!!

So what’s the use of buying the insurance thru the airline?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wouldn't buy insurance from the airline, get TRAVEL INSURANCE through a travel insurance company. See InsureMyTrip.com for policies and companies. I also wouldn't book flights until the earliest at 3 months out. Did the OP use airline miles for the booking, are those covered at all by insurance??

IF the airline insurance covered cancelled cruises it might be worth looking into. WHAT DID THE AA INSURANCE COVER?????

So what’s the use of buying the insurance thru the airline?

When you are purchasing insurance, you need to read the policy to confirm what you need it for is covered. Obviously, the airline insurance wasn't what was needed in this instance.

I hope the OP has good luck with NCL.

If you send NCL a receipt for the change fee for changing your flights, they will probably reimburse you.

Your tickets still have monetary value, so no one is gong to reimburse you for the full value of the tickets.

E.g., if you paid $500 per ticket, the ticket has $500 in cash value. If you use that $500 on value, the airline will charge you $150 change fee.

My point was, if the airlines insurance is so restrictive, why buy it. Makes no sense to me since regular trip/travel insurance covers so much more.

And my point was the OP didn't read the policy.

I agree regular trip/travel insurance covers much more but the bottom line is you need to know what you're buying. You can't assume a policy covers all your needs unless you take the time to read it!

Browse through this site and see if they can be of some help - LINK:

https://www.elliott.org/about-elliott-consumer-advocacy/

When some situations look to be impossible woven in RED TAPE innuendo conflict between

airlines and cruise companies Elliott frequently gets a satisfactory solution to end the issue.

Hope you have kept a paper trail or other documentation of the issue to quickly bring this to a head.

The travel industry suffers when the parties can't get together for customer service.

Check also with your credit card that you used to purchase the airline tickets and cruise fare. Some credit cards have travel insurance that does cover flights.

Its a shame the insurance provided by the companies have this many exclusions. I always go with an independent insurance broker like tripinsurancestore.com

Check also with your credit card that you used to purchase the airline tickets and cruise fare. Some credit cards have travel insurance that does cover flights.

Its a shame the insurance provided by the companies have this many exclusions. I always go with an independent insurance broker like tripinsurancestore.com

So I just visited the site you recommend and gave all my trip info for a November booking on the Breakaway. But I have to provide my e-mail address in order to see the quote. I hate this bc then they have my e-mail address and will ultimately continue to barrage me with unsolicited e-mails. I much prefer a service who will tell me up front the pricing of their service. Please don't misunderstand, I appreciate the tip but don't much care for the e-mail caveat.

CM

So I just visited the site you recommend and gave all my trip info for a November booking on the Breakaway. But I have to provide my e-mail address in order to see the quote. I hate this bc then they have my e-mail address and will ultimately continue to barrage me with unsolicited e-mails. I much prefer a service who will tell me up front the pricing of their service. Please don't misunderstand, I appreciate the tip but don't much care for the e-mail caveat.

CM

No worries! If they start the email barrage simply click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email and follow the directions. No need to live life in fear of stuff like that.

CM

First, we always recommend *calling* TripInsuranceStore.

Talking with them, with Q&A back and forth, is the best way to avoid getting the "wrong" policy!

(And they won't be calling and calling and calling unless you asked for more info!)

The other thing to do is put in a throw-away e-address like

Georgia-Apples@<your choice of freebie email>.

Then you can monitor that account, ignore it until next time needed, or cancel it. :)

We us them (a lot, and get insurance through them with Travel Insured, who PAY claims promptly, which is what matters).

I think the only things we get besides emails that are relevant to specific trips might be one monthly newsletter.

I suspect you'd have NO trouble if you wanted to be removed from the list (but I've never asked).

They aren't a "Spam-O-Matic" type of operation. They are helpful when asked, quite different!

But I always use an anonymized e-address until I'm SURE who I'm dealing with, so I do understand ;)

GC

But I have to provide my e-mail address in order to see the quote. I hate this bc then they have my e-mail address and will ultimately continue to barrage me with unsolicited e-mails.

Have you considered creating a different email account that you would use exclusively for sites like this?

Such an account is free from several providers....gmail.com is one.

This allows you the discretion of maintaining your private/personal email account shielded (somewhat) from spammers while allowing other sites to give you access to information that you would benefit from. Later you can mass delete whatever things have appeared in your 'throw away' email account.

Have you considered creating a different email account that you would use exclusively for sites like this?

Such an account is free from several providers....gmail.com is one.

This allows you the discretion of maintaining your private/personal email account shielded (somewhat) from spammers while allowing other sites to give you access to information that you would benefit from. Later you can mass delete whatever things have appeared in your 'throw away' email account.

Great minds think alike :D

GC

CM

I understand your hesitation, but this is a small, mom-and-pop insurance business like the guy in the Farmer's Insurance office down the street from you. They are US based and comply with the US anti-spam laws. They do not spam you or sell your email address. I haven't gotten an email from them in the four years I've been using them (except for when I need a quote).

CM

I use a separate email address for these types of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Folks are always posting about mythical independent insurance plans that provide reimbursement for airfare if the cruise line canceled a cruise and you no longer can use the flight. There is no such plan. No independent insurance will give you the $ back on a flight because the cruise line canceled your cruise and you don’t want the flight anymore. Same holds true if the canceled 60 days in advance or 6 months in advance.

Sorry this happened to you op. Ncl typically will reimburse the flight change fees, up to $300 pp IF you rebook another sailing with them. What this typically looks like is you rebook the new cruise, then call the airline, rebook flights at the new fares, pay the change fee and submit to Ncl. It’s often less $ to just eat the cost of airfare and rebook a new plane fare.

The only work around I know of is booking with redeposit-abled miles such as with British Airways avios and pay the $50 redeposit fees or purchase fully refundable airfare.

Folks are always posting about mythical independent insurance plans that provide reimbursement for airfare if the cruise line canceled a cruise and you no longer can use the flight. There is no such plan. No independent insurance will give you the $ back on a flight because the cruise line canceled your cruise and you don’t want the flight anymore. Same holds true if the canceled 60 days in advance or 6 months in advance.

Sorry this happened to you op. Ncl typically will reimburse the flight change fees, up to $300 pp IF you rebook another sailing with them. What this typically looks like is you rebook the new cruise, then call the airline, rebook flights at the new fares, pay the change fee and submit to Ncl. It’s often less $ to just eat the cost of airfare and rebook a new plane fare.

The only work around I know of is booking with redeposit-abled miles such as with British Airways avios and pay the $50 redeposit fees or purchase fully refundable airfare.

I fly southwest and there are never any change fees. Just change the date and/or destination and presto a new trip is born.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another suggestion for the op to potentially avoid wading through paper work, keep the airfare you have and look into a land based vacation or a cruise on another line that fits your canceled cruise.

A travel agent might be helpful to find something in your date range. There’s a member warehouse website, think big box, that has an easy to use search tool.

I know folks are saying this cruise had great perks and pricing that they cannot find on an alternative sailing but something might pop up closer to sail date. Since you likely won’t be getting your $ back on the airfare from your Ncl Cruise insurance or airline insurance, it shouldn’t hurt to hang onto the tickets you already have for a while. At least long enough to see if you can still salvage the vacation.

NCL cancelled our Nov cruise. I had insurance through American Airlines for our plane tickets etc. Sent in the info to the insurance co and they just now told me my insurance doesn't cover a Cruiseline cancelling a cruise. Ergo: no reimbursement for our plane tickets.

I have insurance through NCL. I had talked to someone weeks ago and they said I had to seek reimbursement first from the airlines and then if they didn't reimburse to send in info and NCL would then see if the $ 300.00 max per ticket applies. This is a royal pain. I am 78 and have no idea what to do. I went to www.ncl.com/case submission and am not sure how to fill out the forms.

I am SO irritated with NCL for cancelling the Nov cruise. I now talked to someone who told me that we will get no reimbursement since we didn't booked the plane tickets thru ncl. WHAT?? I need some advice re: what to do!!

Have you tried calling the airline directly??? Even if the tickets are non-refundable, you may be able to get them to issue you a travel voucher. I had purchased 4 tickets from Chicago to LA and something came up and we couldn't go. They were able to issue travel vouchers instead. Without paying the change fee. You won't know unless you ask. Explain that the cruise was cancelled through no fault of yours, and throw your age in there too!! Work that age, you deserve some perks!!:)Be as nice as possible, and sound distressed. Tell them you'd be forever grateful.

If that fails, did you book those tickets using a credit card? If so, call your credit card company and appeal to them the same way. Good luck!

CM

You don't have to enter your email address to see the quotes. The quote results say "Fill in this form to email your quote", so you only give an email if you want the quotes emailed to you.

How does travel insurance cover you when your Travel Supplier cancels your covered trip?

The coverages vary from the travel insurance plan does not cover you at all to "If your Travel Supplier cancels your covered trip, you are covered up to the cost of the ticket or the reissue fee charged by the airline for the tickets. You must have covered the entire cost of the covered trip including air."

The only way to know is to read the Certificate of Coverage. It's also a good idea to read the "Contract of Carriage" for your plane ticket so you know exactly how each situation is handled.

I do not know any plans that will reimburse you for the full cost of the plane tickets. The reason is likely what BirdTravels said "Your tickets still have monetary value, so no one is gong to reimburse you for the full value of the tickets."