Celebrity cancellation of cruise April 2 Panama Canal Infinity

sdnich

Very interesting! We are on the ship now , have been made aware of propulsion issue. Currently traveling about 1k slower than usual which has delayed a few arrivals. Also coincidentally, we just booked for Panama October 2019 . My commiserations to April cruisers - so disappointing for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are on the cruise on Infinity from Chile that ends on April 2nd and have been keeping an eye on the propulsion problems currently being experienced. Hoping that it does not adversely affect us too much.

It sounds like the dry dock is required but really feel for those missing their cruise.

Found the text of the letter Celebrity sent to Travel Agent's on the April 2nd Roll Call regarding the cancellation.

We would like to advise you, that due to a technical issue with our propulsion system on Celebrity Infinity®, we have cancelled the 15-Night Westbound Panama Canal Cruise departing on April 2, 2018, from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego to take the ship into dry dock to facilitate necessary repairs.

Please contact any clients you may have booked on this sailing to inform them of this cancellation and to re-accommodate them on another Celebrity Cruises vacation. Details of guest compensation and other information is provided below.

Guests will receive a full refund for amounts paid to their original form of payment and a Future Cruise Certificate for 50% of the cruise fare paid on the cancelled sailing.

Guests interested in rebooking similar itineraries aboard Celebrity Infinity can be rebooked on these selected sailings at prevailing rate with the current promotion or any Celebrity Cruises vacation.

Recommended Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal Cruises:15-Night Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise departing April 17, 2018

15-Night Westbound Panama Canal Cruise departing May 2, 2018

15-Night Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise departing September 9, 2018

15-Night Westbound Panama Canal Cruise departing September 24, 2018

15-Night Eastbound Panama Canal Cruise departing October 9, 2018

Air change fee reimbursement is being offered up to $250 per person. Guests must provide a receipt showing the amount paid for air travel changes. You can send your clients’ proof of air change fee to: celebrityonetouch@celebrity.com

Commission is protected on the cancelled sailing and commission will be paid as normal on any new booking along with a $50 rebooking bonus commission per named and deposited stateroom.

To assist you with any changes or to rebook your guest, a special desk has been established to help you. The desk will open on Thursday, January 18, 2018 and will remain open until Thursday, February 1, 2018. NOTE: The re-accommodation offer for you and your clients will only be available during this time.

For Individual Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48846For Group Reservations: 1-888-281-9343 ext. 48923For Consumer Outreach: 1-800-556-8209 ext. 18881

Thank you in advance for your support and for communicating this information to any clients you have booked on the cancelled sailing. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your clients, and we sincerely hope you’re able to rebook them on another Celebrity sailing.

We were very lucky our travel agent right away grabbed one of the two sky suites left we don’t have the same room we were booked in 6145 but are on the next cruise on April 17 now I just have to change all the other plans!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were very lucky our travel agent right away grabbed one of the two sky suites left we don’t have the same room we were booked in 6145 but are on the next cruise on April 17 now I just have to change all the other plans!!!

Very good and quick action...

I trust you will enjoy the sailing regardless...

bon voyage

Very good and quick action...

I trust you will enjoy the sailing regardless...

bon voyage

We definitely will have a great cruise ! And even though the cruise was more at booking Celebrity gave us a 50% of our cruise towards this one! So we actually got a bit of a discount and all of our perks! after we got over the initial shock and realized we could change our work schedule ! Now just have to change flights and hopefully get similar excursions!!!

As I understand they will have 15 days to make the repairs and move the boat to San Diego, it does not fit me

Either the preceding cruise from Chile on 3/18 will be rerouted to end in San Diego (most likely scenario) or the 4/17 sailing will eventually have an itinerary change to a round trip Ft. Lauderdale sailing of some sort.

There is virtually no situation where X deadheads Infinity through the Canal as a non revenue sailing.

Either the preceding cruise from Chile on 3/18 will be rerouted to end in San Diego (most likely scenario) or the 4/17 sailing will eventually have an itinerary change to a round trip Ft. Lauderdale sailing of some sort.

There is virtually no situation where X deadheads Infinity through the Canal as a non revenue sailing.

I believe that in September 2013 ( when our pacific coast cruise was cancelled) Millenium deadheaded through the canal TWICE, in order to get to dry dock in the Bahamas and back to the west coast to correct a propulsion problem. We are on the 3/18 sailing and have not been notified that we will be disembarking anywhere else but Ft. Lauderdale . That doesn’t mean it couldn’t change....

I wonder if they will do any other refurbishment or updates while they have the ship offline. It's a bit dated in some of the public spaces.

They will probably concentrate on the repairs. But when the upgrade all ships to EDGE standard, hope they focus on the systems, not just the decor!

We were on Inf in Oct, AQ class, and agree it is dated. Our AC and AC in other cabins' failed repeatedly the last few days of our Pacific Coastal cruise Our shower and clothes line had bad mildew issues; and other cabins had toilet issues..luckily not ours. We enjoyed the cruise, but these were issues needing attention.....not just dated couches etc,

Hope plans work out for those canceled...disappointing but no choice.

I can confirm that Millennium dead headed through the Canal twice in 2013.

I remember even seeing the videos of crew up on the pool deck watching the transits through the locks.

While they did lots of deep cleaning during their non-passenger time, crew also had special parties and events.

Very interesting! We are on the ship now , have been made aware of propulsion issue. Currently traveling about 1k slower than usual which has delayed a few arrivals. Also coincidentally, we just booked for Panama October 2019 . My commiserations to April cruisers - so disappointing for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those of us nautically challenged, what does 1k mean? 1 knot? 1 kilometer?

What is the usual speed and what is the speed now?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bite your tongue Atlanta, and please do not give Celebrity any crazy ideas. I bet the only reason most of us booked that cruise is to sail the Panama Canal, I know I did.

I rather they just cancel the whole trip. I know I would not like to be in a wounded ship.

Let’s hope your crystal ball is as faulty as the Infinity.

Cheers.

Bite your tongue Atlanta, and please do not give Celebrity any crazy ideas. I bet the only reason most of us booked that cruise is to sail the Panama Canal, I know I did.

I second that. I'm on the March 18 cruise as well, and yes the main purpose is the full transit of the canal. The South American ports were just a bonus.

I think it would be doubtful that they would head to the west coast of the US or Canada even for going into the yard. Makes more sense for them to get the ship over to Freeport where Celebrity (thru Royal Caribbean) is part owner of the facility. They also may have more expertise available there for whatever the problem is.

I think the biggest concern would be if a situation developed with the Infinity as was on the Millenium that they had to terminate the cruise in Ketchikan because the Coast Guard would not clear the ship to sail (with passengers) using only one azipod. That was when she deadheaded to Freeport and transited the Canal twice with no passengers.

I wonder if they will do any other refurbishment or updates while they have the ship offline. It's a bit dated in some of the public spaces.

I am wondering too. It’s a good block of time to work on some plumbing issues as well. There were sewer smells in several areas on Infinity when we were on her last year.

I remember that the first time I was booked on the Infinity, many years ago, had a port canceled due to the propulsion system. When we embarked, the ship had just come up from San Diego to San Francisco without any pax onboard. They offered us a very fair discount for that sailing.

It is probably disappointing to those that were booked on this sailing but glad to see the compensation offer is pretty generous for those that are willing to rebook.

BTW, I love that old ship ... some of my best cruises have been on her even with that one with the reduced speed and canceled port of call.

• 4 weeks later...

For those doubting that Celebrity would sail with a “wounded ship” I was one of the unfortunate people on the sailing from Buenos Aires to Antarctica on 21 January when of 4 ports 2 were missed completely and 1 other was reached half a day late and they have no interest in our complaints. They are currently sailing back to BA and have another fully sold out Antarctic cruise leaving on Sunday which has already lost one of it’s planned ports. Celebrity have no interest in customer service whatsoever!!

For those doubting that Celebrity would sail with a “wounded ship” I was one of the unfortunate people on the sailing from Buenos Aires to Antarctica on 21 January when of 4 ports 2 were missed completely and 1 other was reached half a day late and they have no interest in our complaints. They are currently sailing back to BA and have another fully sold out Antarctic cruise leaving on Sunday which has already lost one of it’s planned ports. Celebrity have no interest in customer service whatsoever!!
#CelebrityCruisesFail