SINGLE HSC/TIPPING THREAD (Previously "Why are gratuities not included in Fares?")

wannagonow123

Unless they are randomly searched i can't see how it could be enforced.

Lots of cameras on a ship. I noticed that the K has them in the mens public washrooms. There's good reason for the phrase, "The Dutch Man is always watching."

Unless they are randomly searched i can't see how it could be enforced.

Taking the risk isn't worth losing a job.

The ship, crew and bosses know who opted out.

No one is going to play with that for the sake of a few $ versus their job.

they knew the rules when they signed in.

The point is, why remove it? It's part of the cost of cruising, like it or not, included in the cruise fare or not.

Pay the piper and appreciate the experience from the fabulous crew.

Taking the risk isn't worth losing a job.

The ship, crew and bosses know who opted out.

No one is going to play with that for the sake of a few $ versus their job.

they knew the rules when they signed in.

The point is, why remove it? It's part of the cost of cruising, like it or not, included in the cruise fare or not.

Pay the piper and appreciate the experience from the fabulous crew.

;pAs we say in Texas...it's to simple to talk about!!!

Not sure why you would have to explain anything. Its your tip, you can do what you want. Do they actually give you a hard time if you ask to adjust the HSC? Very unprofessional if they do.

Well, it is a called a Hotel Service Charge and not a tip or a gratuity, so I am sure they can ask for reasons.

How does anybody you tip know if you have adjusted the HSC? Sometimes they would not even know who you are (other than your first name) or what cabin you are in. Does HAL send out lists of HSC adjusters to all staff?? I doubt it (perhaps I am naive).

HAL does indeed distribute lists of passengers that removed the HSC. And staff risk losing their jobs if they do not follow the rules of turning in the tips.

I was having lunch at a food counter in a food hall in Brooklyn and overheard a conversation between the waiter and another customer, who was apparently going on his first cruise. The waiter was telling him how to have his HSC removed and that he did not have to tip anything! It's a way to save money. Guess who did not get a tip from me. ;)

Off the subject and risk hijacking the thread, but I just got to share a peeve.

I just got back from a wedding and at the reception bar, there was a "tip jar". This practice is becoming more in fashion lately and I've even experienced it at receptions in private homes. In my humble opinion, there is nothing more classless than expecting invitees to tip the host's staff or am wrong?

I just got back from a wedding and at the reception bar, there was a "tip jar". This practice is becoming more in fashion lately and I've even experienced it at receptions in private homes. In my humble opinion, there is nothing more classless than expecting invitees to tip the host's staff or am wrong?

The tip jars are for the bar staff right? Probably hired?

I see lots of tip jars at our golf club, and other locales for the bar staff. Not sure I see an issue.

The host is paying for the staff. While they may tip them, it's each person getting a drink who is getting the service. I've never done it when we have a party but at our wedding reception years ago, we hosted an open ("free") bar for a while. The bar servers had a tip jar out and I saw no issue with that.

The host is paying for the drinks and time of the bartenders but I see no harm in expecting those that are using the services to tip. I don't think the host should have to pay for that too?

In any case, it's a jar. You don't have to put anything in if you choose not to.

In my humble opinion, there is nothing more classless than expecting invitees to tip the host's staff or am wrong?

Agree. It is surely not hospitality.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Agree. Almost as bad as hijacking a thread to share a peeve.

Newbie here preparing for our first cruise. Seems like most of you leave the HSC in place, and after reading all these forums, we certainly plan to do that as well.

But does the staff understand that their tip will come from the big HSC pool at the end? Or do they still expect a tip each time?

Like our waiter or steward or room service deliverer....We will feel very guilty not tipping them each time they help us. How to handle the guilt!!??

But does the staff understand that their tip will come from the big HSC pool at the end?

Certainly, the dining room and buffet servers do, as does your room attendant.

Reasonable people disagree about whether the available facts indicate whether the room service delivery folks share in that pool. Surely, if they do, they know it.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Certainly, the dining room and buffet servers do, as does your room attendant.

Reasonable people disagree about whether the available facts indicate whether the room service delivery folks share in that pool. Surely, if they do, they know it.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I always even now with the new room service breakfast charge give $3 to the delivery waiter because it allows us to be lazy and eat breakfast on the balcony.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Grapau27,

May I ask what cruise line you are referring to that charges for breakfast room service? I know there are things now that you can be ordered that have a charge but are you saying that all breakfast room service has a charge on some cruise lines?

Sorry i was referring to RC on that post.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this was addressed but their are situations where the tipping is added as a part of the charges. I have booked group cruises where our tipping was required as part of the price of our cabins. This is a pet peeve of mine because the tipping is such a small part of the enjoyment of what is offered on cruises and I always tip above what is required because of the fantastic service i get and about people who eat at the lido, haven't you noticed that the same people who serve you any place else are also required to work the lido deck and who puts out the food, who takes away your dirty dishes, etc. they are providing a service for you just like the people in any buffet.

• 3 weeks later...

I always think it is not a good idea to upset a waiter or a chef.

Bear this in mind if you have removed your HSC and your waiter has been told this. Remember he carries the food you eat - lol

On our upcoming Veendam cruise, part of the promotion was $500 OBC plus pre-paid HSC. Someone said way back that this appears on your cruise documentation. We have received our docs and nowhere is this shown. We queried this with our TA. His comment was "The promotion benefits never appear on any HAL tickets – please don’t ask why as we have been banging on at them for years to do so". He did send us a copy of the booking confirmation from HAL which shows these items so all should be fine.

His comment was "The promotion benefits never appear on any HAL tickets – please don’t ask why as we have been banging on at them for years to do so".

This is not true, as our recent booking includes the SBP and PG (Explore 4 promo), which is noted on our booking conformation from HAL.

I always think it is not a good idea to upset a waiter or a chef.

Bear this in mind if you have removed your HSC and your waiter has been told this. Remember he carries the food you eat - lol

On our upcoming Veendam cruise, part of the promotion was $500 OBC plus pre-paid HSC. Someone said way back that this appears on your cruise documentation. We have received our docs and nowhere is this shown. We queried this with our TA. His comment was "The promotion benefits never appear on any HAL tickets – please don’t ask why as we have been banging on at them for years to do so". He did send us a copy of the booking confirmation from HAL which shows these items so all should be fine.

You should be fine with your booking confirmation. They never put that stuff on the boarding pass.

I always take my booking confirmation or my email from my TA if there are added benefits. Once they are confirmed on board, it's the first thing to go in recycling ;)

This is not true, as our recent booking includes the SBP and PG (Explore 4 promo), which is noted on our booking conformation from HAL.

I think Carol is referring to her boarding pass.?

That's what I think she means when she refers to her ticket.

You are correct that the booking confirmation confirms all which is what Carol received.

Show some respect for these hard workers. Staff time is far too precious and their own integrity too high to mess with food. If they lack the integrity for that, they deserve no gratuity at all to start with and should be given a plane ticket home. Show respect for your fellow cruisers by not spreading such garbage theories. Some people take pride in their job and by doing it well they might just earn a far larger direct tip than their meager share of the pool tip; they would not jeopardize that opportunity AND risk their job as well, they are not fools.

Okay, so here is my take on it from someone who travels extensively in North America (and beyond) in my daily life. The hotel service charge is the same as any other hotel service charge in that it is added to your base fee, and then gratuities are on top of that and voluntary. So, I tip housekeeping for cleaning up my room. I also tip the valet and the bellman and the Concierge (if I use their services) and the servers in the club lounge. I appreciate their services and this is my way to show my appreciation. (I also appreciate that other countries have their own systems, so this is purely from a North American travelers' perspective.) From what I can determine, infrequent travelers expect not to tip. I have no viewpoint one way or the other. I know what I am comfortable with and don't worry about what others do or do not do. I do appreciate, however, that there appears to be ambiguity concerning gratuities on the cruise lines. To my way of thinking, it's all in the wording. If hotel service charges are, in fact, gratuities, then it would be worded as such.

Edited by *Miss G*

Show some respect for these hard workers. Staff time is far too precious and their own integrity too high to mess with food. If they lack the integrity for that, they deserve no gratuity at all to start with and should be given a plane ticket home. Show respect for your fellow cruisers by not spreading such garbage theories. Some people take pride in their job and by doing it well they might just earn a far larger direct tip than their meager share of the pool tip; they would not jeopardize that opportunity AND risk their job as well, they are not fools.

What I said was

"I always think it is not a good idea to upset a waiter or a chef.

Bear this in mind if you have removed your HSC and your waiter has been told this. Remember he carries the food you eat - lol"

I think you missed the fact that this was meant as a joke (the 'lol' at the end is the give away). My partner owns a bar/restaurant here in Spain and we always say this as a joke. Sorry if anyone misunderstood this.

• 1 month later...

I'm still a HAL newbie dummy, but where/when will the HSC be applied? just booked a last minute and can't find that anywhere. I am used to pre-paying tips on NCL and always choose to go ahead and do it, will they offer this when we board? I did notice some $660 pre-authorization, which I assumed was for charging stuff to our cabin.

I'm still a HAL newbie dummy, but where/when will the HSC be applied?

The HSC will appear as a daily charge on your bill, in the same way that a daily cocktail, or other expense, would.

If you would like to pre-pay, you can make a cash deposit against your account at the Front Desk, or you can purchase on board credits for yourself in advance.

What I said was

"I always think it is not a good idea to upset a waiter or a chef.

Bear this in mind if you have removed your HSC and your waiter has been told this. Remember he carries the food you eat - lol"

I think you missed the fact that this was meant as a joke (the 'lol' at the end is the give away). My partner owns a bar/restaurant here in Spain and we always say this as a joke. Sorry if anyone misunderstood this.

Lol.

I know several restaurant managers and what you say is a reality and can be done easily with no one knowing.

We try to be pleasant to everyone all the time and hopefully it spreads good cheer.

Merry Christmas and a happy cruising new year.