Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

roothy123

Viking Ocean Homelands we never had to surrender passports.

We did have to surrender passports in Portugal on Uniworld's Douro River cruise.

Never had to surrender passports on any other European river cruises.

I think it is a port country regulation.

In my experience, the ships only retain the passports when required by immigration authorities. On our recent Baltic Cruise, they kept DW's at check-in, as she only has a Canadian, but not mine, as I used my UK passport. Being non-EU, the German authorities required DW's passport for entry into Shengen Zone. It was returned after the ship was cleared.

On our World Cruise, they requested passports a couple of time, when required by immigration authorities. They were returned by cabin stewards shortly after departure. Also, in Asia, we found the ship required the passports for almost every port.

Basically, rest assured the ship staff would prefer not to manage passenger passports, so only do so when required by immigration.

Not happy to part with ours, and the info that passports were returned by stewards doesn’t fill me with confidence.

If it is an immigration policy of the country, no one will have a choice. We have been to various ports where this occurred. If it is super important that this does not occur, I am guessing that there is a way to determine which countries require it so one can make a decision whether to sail that itinerary or not.

As Heidi stated, the ship doesn’t control this. They will take every precaution to insure the safe return regardless of who returns it to you.

We’ve done this itinerary before with a different cruise line, and nobody asked for our passports.

Our experience is that there sometimes is no rhyme nor reason for this passport business sometimes.

We have however been on a cruise where some people with US passports had to give in their documentation and other people with US documents didn’t.

So far in over thirty cruises it hasn’t happened to us, and we hope it doesn’t this time.

If it is an immigration policy of the country, no one will have a choice. We have been to various ports where this occurred. If it is super important that this does not occur, I am guessing that there is a way to determine which countries require it so one can make a decision whether to sail that itinerary or not.

As Heidi stated, the ship doesn’t control this. They will take every precaution to insure the safe return regardless of who returns it to you.

Many countries including the US and UK require the immigration office be face to face with the visitor and view the documentation (passport and sometimes an additional form).

Same port two different cruise lines. First line they asked us to fill out a customs and no food form the night before and when leaving the ship the next day present the forms and passports to the immigration officer.

Second time, different line, we had to give our passports to reception at embarkation and when we arrived at the port we had to stop at a desk where we were given our passports and the forms already filled out, except for signatures and changes. On the second cruise we came back to the same country on the return and they gave us the same prefilled forms to sign and this time a photocopy of our passports for the immigration officer. The second line may have worried about passengers incorrectly filling out the forms and, or forgetting passports causing delays at the gangway.

It was the ship that decided who holds the passports.

This was a UK port and in all cases the previous port was not EU or UK.

One more point... of all the personal things that crew members have access to in you cabin, although your passport is of great value to you, it is of little value to them or anyone else. ;p Now if you are on the infamous "no tip list".......;p

We’ve done this itinerary before with a different cruise line, and nobody asked for our passports.

Our experience is that there sometimes is no rhyme nor reason for this passport business sometimes.

We have however been on a cruise where some people with US passports had to give in their documentation and other people with US documents didn’t.

So far in over thirty cruises it hasn’t happened to us, and we hope it doesn’t this time.

In our experience, when the cruise line advises they will supply the Visa and charge to your account is when they collect the passports. A couple examples from our recent cruises is Vietnam, Egypt and Jordan. The Immigration officials are supplied a room and receive boxes of passports, which they stamp.

In our experience, when the cruise line advises they will supply the Visa and charge to your account is when they collect the passports. A couple examples from our recent cruises is Vietnam, Egypt and Jordan. The Immigration officials are supplied a room and receive boxes of passports, which they stamp.

Same thing when we cruised into Chilean waters. I didn’t mind giving up my passport as otherwise we would have had to visited with immigration in the middle of the night.

This was several years ago during one of Argentina’s and Chile’s on going issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from time to time questions come up about outlets in the cabins for plugging things in so I made a special point of check in our DV cabin a couple of weeks ago

In total there were

9 USB ports, 4 US power outlets and 3 unused EU type outlets (which would work for US stuff with a simple travel adapter)

at the bedside tables are 2 USB ports, labeled one for PC type stuff (higher amps) and a iPAD/phone one; and a US type power outlet

the other USB outlets are in the base of the desk lamp . . .

2 phones, an iPAD, camera and Kindle and we had USB charging points left over . . .

NONE of this includes what is in the bath ... which comes with a hair dryer Mrs found perfectly sufficient btw ...

NOTE: these outlets and USB all appeared to be on the 'power save circuit' as I call it. You know, where you must put your room card in a slot by the door to turn the lights on .... So if you need day time charging keep this in mind (save an old cruise card to put in the slot while you are out, it will work just fine)

We took a tower with multiple USB ports on it....because we typically needed to charge multiple things simultaneously. Phone, IPads, Computers, Cameras, Kindles. I took my lap top (WC) but really never used it, only my Ipad...but my husband needed laptop to process our pictures and store them safely ... you can only imagine the number of photos that we took!

We've been on the Star twice and the outlet in the bathroom only worked for a shaver or something; had to plug the hairdryer in an outlet in the area where the coffee maker had been. (it's a very good hair dryer).

We took a tower with multiple USB ports on it....because we typically needed to charge multiple things simultaneously. Phone, IPads, Computers, Cameras, Kindles. I took my lap top (WC) but really never used it, only my Ipad...but my husband needed laptop to process our pictures and store them safely ... you can only imagine the number of photos that we took!

Four months. How many ports? deec, it would not surprise me if between the two of you it was a 6 digit number.

from time to time questions come up about outlets in the cabins for plugging things in so I made a special point of check in our DV cabin a couple of weeks ago

In total there were

9 USB ports, 4 US power outlets and 3 unused EU type outlets (which would work for US stuff with a simple travel adapter)

at the bedside tables are 2 USB ports, labeled one for PC type stuff (higher amps) and a iPAD/phone one; and a US type power outlet

the other USB outlets are in the base of the desk lamp . . .

2 phones, an iPAD, camera and Kindle and we had USB charging points left over . . .

NONE of this includes what is in the bath ... which comes with a hair dryer Mrs found perfectly sufficient btw ...

NOTE: these outlets and USB all appeared to be on the 'power save circuit' as I call it. You know, where you must put your room card in a slot by the door to turn the lights on .... So if you need day time charging keep this in mind (save an old cruise card to put in the slot while you are out, it will work just fine)

I think that the night stands are on the power-saver but that the desk is not. Maybe someone can check this out and let us know.

I think that the night stands are on the power-saver but that the desk is not. Maybe someone can check this out and let us know.

The EU outlet and the lamp on the desk by the door to the veranda is not on the power saver. We found this to be the case on the Sky and Star. It's where I would leave a camera battery charging while we were out. Have an adapter that has two outlets - one on top and one in front which is super handy if you want to leave say your iPad and a camera battery charging at the second time. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have my permission to do so. Can’t imagine having to spend several days getting a replacement passport on top of trying to figure out how to catch back up with the ship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your insight Clay. I just didn't like the idea of anyone opening my safe without my permission.

Usually the safe master key is held by the Security officer and he will only open the safe at the request of and in the presence of a ships officer or manager. Knowledge from experience.

Thanks azdrydock. I was hoping that is the case. Otherwise a "safe" wouldn't really be safe ;)

While not being privy to Viking policies, but with the cruise line I worked for, they still endeavour to provide passports ashore to the agent for any passengers that miss the ship. In the past, this may include a quick cabin search, including the safe.

We asked this question on the Sun and GM told us that we would have our passport given to the agent ashore should we miss returning to the ship on time. Hope to never need this service. As far as the ship holding your passport, many do. Every SeaDream cruise, including the Caribbean, holds your passport from the time you board till you disembark at the end of the cruise. Every hotel we have ever stayed in in Europe holds your passport as well. No one should worry about Viking holding your passport. And as mentioned, on the World Cruise, sometimes we had to pick up our passports at Guest Services and see immigration with it in our hands, sometimes the Purser took care of it and we went ashore with only our key card. Depends on the country's rules, not our wishes......:cool:

I don't remember where right now (Jim will probably remember) but in one port we walked through the dining room and had our temperatures scanned!!! Sure beats waiting in a hot tent!! Viking worked VERY hard to make immigration as easy as possible as often as possible. Sometimes it was out of their hands!

I don't remember where right now (Jim will probably remember) but in one port we walked through the dining room and had our temperatures scanned!!! Sure beats waiting in a hot tent!! Viking worked VERY hard to make immigration as easy as possible as often as possible. Sometimes it was out of their hands!

This Jim remember? Hahaha. What day is it?? I do remember that every time we went ashore in Hong Kong we walked through temp scanners. I do remember the time you are talking about. Walking through the Dining Room and being scanned. You are so right about Viking making it as easy as possible.😎

Temp scanners?? What am I missing here? There'a gotta be a joke or punch line here somewhere![emoji1]

Some Immigration Authorities require you to pass an infrared scanner to check for fevers, etc. We have experienced this a number of times - always going into Japan and sometimes going into China/Hong Kong.

Some Immigration Authorities require you to pass an infrared scanner to check for fevers, etc. We have experienced this a number of times - always going into Japan and sometimes going into China/Hong Kong.

No trust when you say "Hey! I'm not sick!". They want verify.