You win some you lose some!

luv2travel06

We generally book inside guarantee cabins to save money so we can cruise more often. :D This option seems to be available on HAL more often than other lines.

We usually get upgraded to an outside cabin or have paid $100 after final payment was due to be upgraded to a balcony. Our best score was on our Fathom cruise last year: we paid like $299 for an inside guarantee and were upgraded to a balcony on the highest deck!

Unfortunately, our luck ran out. We received our cabin assignment last night for our upcoming b2b Veendam cruise. It was the lowest? 2nd lowest? cabin category on the ship. Oh well.

We generally book inside guarantee cabins to save money so we can cruise more often. :D This option seems to be available on HAL more often than other lines.

We usually get upgraded to an outside cabin or have paid $100 after final payment was due to be upgraded to a balcony. Our best score was on our Fathom cruise last year: we paid like $299 for an inside guarantee and were upgraded to a balcony on the highest deck!

Unfortunately, our luck ran out. We received our cabin assignment last night for our upcoming b2b Veendam cruise. It was the lowest? 2nd lowest? cabin category on the ship. Oh well.

What exactly did you book?

We were upgraded with every guarantee that we booked in the past. We have discovered though that after much cruising that there are certain areas of the ship that we enjoy far more than others. We never book guarantees any more, choosing instead to book the cabin that we want. I certainly understand the allure of guarantees and if you are okay with wherever you cabin is, I say spin the dice and see what happens.

What exactly did you book?

Booked inside guarantee. N is the lowest category, found out MM is next, we got M at the very front of the ship.

We always figured we had less chance to be upgraded if we select a cabin when we book, so we generally book guarantee if we can. Not as lucky this time.

Looks like HAL is selling out the Cuba cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Booked inside guarantee. N is the lowest category, found out MM is next, we got M at the very front of the ship.

We always figured we had less chance to be upgraded if we select a cabin when we book, so we generally book guarantee if we can. Not as lucky this time.

How cheap was the cruise?

Sorry the gamble didn't pay off this time. But you have done well previously (y) so don't let one "not so great" assignment stop you from trying it again, right? We do similar but usually start with the lowest grade OV.

Thanks for the info. If you booked an N GUAR, you did OK. Not the best, but not the worst either. Perhaps HAL is changing the way they approach GUARs now, as your experience shows how well you can do!

Have a great cruise.

How cheap was the cruise?

We had originally booked the cruise as a different itinerary, then HAL switched the Veendam to Cuba itineraries. When we rebooked, we were able to keep the same 14 day fare of $1499 (Cuba itineraries were priced higher) and they gave us $225pp obc (when you add the $250 shareholder credit, that’s a lot of obc to spend-and we had to pay for the Cuba excursions early due to selling out).

I hadn’t thought about the reduced price and the obc until just now, so I guess they figured we already got a good deal and gave the upgrade to someone else. I’m not complaining that we didn’t get the upgrade, but we are a little disappointed based on past experience.

We booked an inside guarantee for our June Mediterranean cruise and now the outside guarantee is only $100 more. Hmmmmmm...do we take a chance on a possible upgrade or pay the extra $100 ? Decisions, decisions....

We had originally booked the cruise as a different itinerary, then HAL switched the Veendam to Cuba itineraries. When we rebooked, we were able to keep the same 14 day fare of $1499 (Cuba itineraries were priced higher) and they gave us $225pp obc (when you add the $250 shareholder credit, that’s a lot of obc to spend-and we had to pay for the Cuba excursions early due to selling out).

I hadn’t thought about the reduced price and the obc until just now, so I guess they figured we already got a good deal and gave the upgrade to someone else. I’m not complaining that we didn’t get the upgrade, but we are a little disappointed based on past experience.

We booked an inside guarantee for our June Mediterranean cruise and now the outside guarantee is only $100 more. Hmmmmmm...do we take a chance on a possible upgrade or pay the extra $100 ? Decisions, decisions....

For only $100 more, definitely upgrade. Do it asap before the price changes. Have a great cruise.

I think going from and N to an M is pretty good, those Ns are tiny but there are not many of them. I'd rather be on the lowest deck than under the galley.... in fact I'd rather be anywhere than under the galley, and we now often choose the lowest deck for stability. Amazing you've gotten OVs from Ns, Very few people can say that. Enjoy your cruise! m--