Caviar in Pinnacle Grill?

VennDiagram

Do people actually enjoy eating fish eggs (caviar) or simply the fact that they are eating it?

igraf

Excellent question. IMO a lot of people who say they like caviar do so out of fear that they will be labeled as low-class neanderthals if they say they do not like it ... present company excepted, of course!

We are also caviar lovers.

We have gotten it a couple of times on HAL and it was excellent. Be sure to ask that it is the Ossetra Malossol Caviar. One time it wasn't and our waitress said she wouldn't serve it to us as it was some kind of red caviar.

When we did the Cellar Master's dinner on the NA earlier this year, there were 3 types of caviar, including a red one. I left each of mine on the plate as I really don't like caviar but everyone else seemed to enjoy each kind. I still feel guilty about the waste and the cost.;p

Yes, It has been available on recent cruises. The price has really increased and I’m guessing around $70.00 but will defer to someone who know exact.

In December on the NA, the Ossetra Malossol Caviar was a $70 supplemental charge.

Thank you. And OUCH it has gone up a bit!!!

Do people actually enjoy eating fish eggs (caviar) or simply the fact that they are eating it?

I personally never cared for it.

igraf

I like it as a treat, not something I'd eat every day. My husband is more like you -- he can't see why people eat it. So.... more for me :) (y)

We are also caviar lovers.

We have gotten it a couple of times on HAL and it was excellent. Be sure to ask that it is the Ossetra Malossol Caviar. One time it wasn't and our waitress said she wouldn't serve it to us as it was some kind of red caviar.

Thanks for that tip!

When we did the Cellar Master's dinner on the NA earlier this year, there were 3 types of caviar, including a red one. I left each of mine on the plate as I really don't like caviar but everyone else seemed to enjoy each kind. I still feel guilty about the waste and the cost.;p

If we ever happen to be on the same ship, at a similar dinner, I will eat those leftovers. More caviar for me, zero guilt for you :) (y)

I do enjoy it, but as said it is something of a rare treat. I first tried it somewhere around age 11-12 when ships (or at least the one I was on) still offered it in the MDR on formal evenings. To my parents' surprise, I liked it.

That's a great memory! I was intro'd to it on a Princess cruise in the MDR on a formal evening. 3 different caviars, a small portion of each.

Is there an opportunity to order caviar alone without the dinner aspect as well? say in one of the bars? LuAnn

From what I have read here on Live Threads if you are on a ship with a Pinnacle Bar, it has been done.

that leaves out the smaller ships but it's worth asking on board IF you have a Pinnacle Bar.

igraf

I do love the stuff although DW rolls her eyes and makes faces whenever I eat it :). When I was a child I developed a taste for the stuff because of my Mom...who was the only one in our family to love Caviar (she preferred Beluga which was available in those days). Just came off the Celebrity Reflection where we ate many meals in their upscale restaurant called Murano (makes the Pinnacle seem like McDonalds). One of their starters was a a multi-layered salmon dish that had a top layer of salmon caviar. Ordered it for about half of our 10 dinners in this restaurant...but there was no extra charge :).

Hank

We have done the Cellar Master's Dinner a couple of times -- both on the Westerdam -- no caviar at all.

On our Nieuw Amsterdam cruises there was a Cellar Master's Dinner -- they were 7 day cruises. We always do 14 day cruises and thought for sure that the Nieuw Amsterdam would at least have Chef Rudi's both weeks -- Nope. Only one week -- 8 of us there. The second week it was cancelled as not many signed up for it.

I do love the stuff although DW rolls her eyes and makes faces whenever I eat it :). When I was a child I developed a taste for the stuff because of my Mom...who was the only one in our family to love Caviar (she preferred Beluga which was available in those days). Just came off the Celebrity Reflection where we ate many meals in their upscale restaurant called Murano (makes the Pinnacle seem like McDonalds). One of their starters was a a multi-layered salmon dish that had a top layer of salmon caviar. Ordered it for about half of our 10 dinners in this restaurant...but there was no extra charge :).

Hank

Salmon Caviar? Ughh:loudcry::eek:

I can get that here and avoid it like the plague.

But everything is subjective of course. I'm glad you liked it.

I do enjoy it, but as said it is something of a rare treat. I first tried it somewhere around age 11-12 when ships (or at least the one I was on) still offered it in the MDR on formal evenings. To my parents' surprise, I liked it.

My parents made a similar mistake with me at that age, but in this case it was a shrimp cocktail. Taught me to love seafood whenever I could order it.

igraf

I suppose any food will naturally be good to the taste buds of at least some people. There are some things, though, which probably wouldn't be of much interest to many except for the fact that they are very expensive.

... On our Nieuw Amsterdam cruises there was a Cellar Master's Dinner -- they were 7 day cruises. We always do 14 day cruises and thought for sure that the Nieuw Amsterdam would at least have Chef Rudi's both weeks -- Nope. Only one week -- 8 of us there. The second week it was cancelled as not many signed up for it.

Sorry to hear this ... I guess HAL's current clientele just isn't upscale enough to appreciate Chef Rudi's CMD ...