Not again! Another media beat-up plus possible court case.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:54 PM.
Sydney, Australia
8,744 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by cruisine21
Yes. It’s been confirmed by a passenger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, I just spotted that on FB. Poor old Sun, she really seems to attract passengers with Noro.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Mar 2018 - Diamond Princess - Sydney to Yokohama
Sep 2017 - Royal Princess - Mediterranean
Feb 2017 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Nov 2016 - Carnival Legend - South Pacific
Sep 2016 - Sun Princess - Papua New Guinea
Apr 2016 - Golden Princess - Sydney to Hong Kong
Dec 2015 - Celebrity Solstice - Auckland to Sydney
Aug 2015 - Dawn Princess - Top End Fremantle to Sydney
Mar 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific
Dec 2014 - Sun Princess - South Pacific
Sep 2008 - Avalon Tapestry - Rhine Cruise
Yulara, NT Australia
1,000 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by gbenjo
How about they sue the halfwit passengers who do not bother to wash their hands etc and cause all this in the first place. To say the cruise lines do not take adequate action to maintain cleanliness on a ship is total crap. (typical of a Channel Nine publicity seeking "exclusive breaking news " stunt.
I disagree and find those views wrong. There are plenty of just as guilty crew members who do not take hygiene properly. Over my 16 years of cruising I have witnessed plenty of crew members who do not take hygiene seriously. Examples include lack of gloves in food serving areas, picking up empty drinking glasses by placing their fingers inside the glass and picking up multiple glasses and then collecting fresh drinks from the bar to serve passengers, placing pens between their ear and their hair, recycling pens that have been touched by multiple passengers. It happens on a daily basis. It is called complacency and with all people being human beings and susceptible to mistakes, the crew are no more superhuman, super clean or better in hygiene in any way than the next person. With the advent of social media and also having seen the debauchery that goes on at their crew parties with all the lewd photos really makes you wonder what bacteria, bugs and other germs the crew could be carrying. Trust me I am ex-Navy and like the military navy and the "girl in every port" phrase the same can be said of the crew on cruise ships who are away from family for up to 6 months of a time and may get lonely.

You might think it sounds cool to jump on the bandwagon and blame the passengers, but let me assure you most people are clean tidy and take their health seriously. The cruise line will always inevitably blame the passengers because it is more financially and legally sound for them to accept no liability for the spread of this virus.

Furthermore when the virus is spreading cruise after cruise it is more clear that the crew have not done their job properly disinfecting the ship otherwise the virus would have been eradicated.

Further still on turn-around day the crew have limited time to refresh the cabins and make them ready for the next passengers. Do you honestly think that the crew have cleaned every surface in that cabin to clear all the germs so that it is 100% clean for the next passengers? I do not think so.

I think it is very rude and offensive to blame it on the passengers when the crew can be equally if not more to blame.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
33 Cruises and counting...
Canberra Australia
44,381 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I find it crazy that there may be a class action against the cruise line for contracting noro when in essence they should be suing the other passengers. Absolutely laughable.
Maine or at sea
13,724 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
I don't know if or who collects data on this for cruises from Oz, but one of the importans ways that epidemiologists in the US (the CDC) track the transmission vectors and probable patient zero for outbreaks like this is to track the trend of the reported cases during the cruise (the number of reported cases, day by day), rather than the total raw numbers. If the numbers tend to spike after the start of a cruise, and then taper off, but then spike again soon after the next cruise starts, they understand that the most likely scenario is passenger re-contamination. If the number spikes and then remains high throughout the cruise, and starts the next cruise at a high level, then the likely scenario is a crewmember.

Remember, noro is spread by someone having poor personal hand hygiene (not washing after going to the restroom). If it were a crewmember, why would their hand hygiene change at any time during their 10 month contract, or would they continue to contaminate surfaces continually? Also, in most cases, the reported percentages of ill crew are lower than the percentages of ill passengers, so which demographic is showing better hygiene?

These, at least, are the findings of the CDC epidemiologists as explained to me during their training seminars and in their studies.
Sydney, Australia
8,744 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Thanks, Chengkp75, you always provide interesting insights into issues. BTW do you mind if I copy and post that info elsewhere?

The first cruise I went on had a Noro outbreak, which started being reported about three days into the cruise I think. The numbers rose during the next few days. On our port stop in Suva they did a complete sanitization of the ship. The numbers started dropping, then all of a sudden climbed again during the last few days of the cruise. I was fairly certain it was passenger recontamination but it's great to have that confirmed.

Now if only they could come up with a way of combating the dreaded cruise cough.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Maine or at sea
13,724 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by OzKiwiJJ
Thanks, Chengkp75, you always provide interesting insights into issues. BTW do you mind if I copy and post that info elsewhere?

The first cruise I went on had a Noro outbreak, which started being reported about three days into the cruise I think. The numbers rose during the next few days. On our port stop in Suva they did a complete sanitization of the ship. The numbers started dropping, then all of a sudden climbed again during the last few days of the cruise. I was fairly certain it was passenger recontamination but it's great to have that confirmed.

Now if only they could come up with a way of combating the dreaded cruise cough.
If I've posted it, it is public, so knock yourself out with reposting.

My suggestion for "cruise cough" is to keep your sinus membranes hydrated using saline sprays. AC will dry out the membranes, removing the first and best line of defense against airborne vectors.
Sydney Australia
1,692 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Brisbane41
I disagree and find those views wrong. There are plenty of just as guilty crew members who do not take hygiene properly. Over my 16 years of cruising I have witnessed plenty of crew members who do not take hygiene seriously. Examples include lack of gloves in food serving areas, picking up empty drinking glasses by placing their fingers inside the glass and picking up multiple glasses and then collecting fresh drinks from the bar to serve passengers, placing pens between their ear and their hair, recycling pens that have been touched by multiple passengers. It happens on a daily basis. It is called complacency and with all people being human beings and susceptible to mistakes, the crew are no more superhuman, super clean or better in hygiene in any way than the next person. With the advent of social media and also having seen the debauchery that goes on at their crew parties with all the lewd photos really makes you wonder what bacteria, bugs and other germs the crew could be carrying. Trust me I am ex-Navy and like the military navy and the "girl in every port" phrase the same can be said of the crew on cruise ships who are away from family for up to 6 months of a time and may get lonely.

You might think it sounds cool to jump on the bandwagon and blame the passengers, but let me assure you most people are clean tidy and take their health seriously. The cruise line will always inevitably blame the passengers because it is more financially and legally sound for them to accept no liability for the spread of this virus.

Furthermore when the virus is spreading cruise after cruise it is more clear that the crew have not done their job properly disinfecting the ship otherwise the virus would have been eradicated.

Further still on turn-around day the crew have limited time to refresh the cabins and make them ready for the next passengers. Do you honestly think that the crew have cleaned every surface in that cabin to clear all the germs so that it is 100% clean for the next passengers? I do not think so.

I think it is very rude and offensive to blame it on the passengers when the crew can be equally if not more to blame.
What on earth has the crew being away from home for six or eight months at a time got to do with cleanliness ???????? (except maybe their mothers constantly reminding them to wash their hands )Keeping their jobs depend on them following the company policies and the vast majority value their jobs enough to do the right thing and "management" are constantly monitoring them. IF, as you say, you have seen crew breaching these health rules "on a daily basis ", why have you not reported this to guest services or someone???? It obviously is not in the cruise lines interest to have Noro outbreaks and from what I have seen in the eight years I have been working at the OPT that they go far and beyond the required procedures to maintain a clean and healthy ship

I find it a bit "rude and offensive" when I watch three thousand or more guests being asked to sanitize their hands as they board the ship a good third of them stick their sea passes in their MOUTHS, sanitize their hands and then take the card out and hand it to the scanner operator to be processed, (funny side though are the guests that place the sea pass in the sanitzer dispenser..not their hands )
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess
Mediterranean- July 2009
Dawn Princess - Whitsundays October 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas- Sydney-Hawaii April 2011
Radiance of the Seas-Top End Australia February 2012
Reef Endeavour - Yasawa Islands Fiji- May 2012
Oosterdam-Pacific Islands March 2014
Celebrity Solstice-Sydney-Hawaii April 2015
Celebrity Infinity- Panama Canal April/May 2015
Pacific Eden - Australia Day January 2017

Carnival Legend-3 day Sampler November 2017
Sydney, Australia
8,744 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by chengkp75
If I've posted it, it is public, so knock yourself out with reposting.

My suggestion for "cruise cough" is to keep your sinus membranes hydrated using saline sprays. AC will dry out the membranes, removing the first and best line of defense against airborne vectors.
Thanks once again, I will definitely try that on my next cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Yulara, NT Australia
1,000 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by gbenjo
What on earth has the crew being away from home for six or eight months at a time got to do with cleanliness ???????? (except maybe their mothers constantly reminding them to wash their hands )Keeping their jobs depend on them following the company policies and the vast majority value their jobs enough to do the right thing and "management" are constantly monitoring them. IF, as you say, you have seen crew breaching these health rules "on a daily basis ", why have you not reported this to guest services or someone???? It obviously is not in the cruise lines interest to have Noro outbreaks and from what I have seen in the eight years I have been working at the OPT that they go far and beyond the required procedures to maintain a clean and healthy ship

I find it a bit "rude and offensive" when I watch three thousand or more guests being asked to sanitize their hands as they board the ship a good third of them stick their sea passes in their MOUTHS, sanitize their hands and then take the card out and hand it to the scanner operator to be processed, (funny side though are the guests that place the sea pass in the sanitzer dispenser..not their hands )
You highlighted in red "quire ironically" why you cannot understand the term 6 months away from family. Let me be more direct. The "Red Light District". Of course crew members visit these places.

What you described above is poor management on behalf of the cruise line and perhaps your line of work. Handing passengers cards and documents and then placing a hand sanitiser in their face. What do you expect them to do?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maine or at sea
13,724 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
You highlighted in red "quire ironically" why you cannot understand the term 6 months away from family. Let me be more direct. The "Red Light District". Of course crew members visit these places.
Wow, stereotype much? I would say that a cruise ship with probably a 50/50 mix of men and women would have a bit different desire for the "red light district" than a naval vessel of all males. Also, not sure about your Navy, but ours either sits at the dock for extended periods, leading to more opportunity for the crew to desire these services, or they are on extended maneuvers and long periods between ports, unlike the almost daily in port environment of a cruise ship. And further, what does STD's have to do with noro or even personal hygiene? Have there been huge reports of passengers contracting STD's from cruise ships?
Yulara, NT Australia
1,000 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
Originally posted by chengkp75
Wow, stereotype much? I would say that a cruise ship with probably a 50/50 mix of men and women would have a bit different desire for the "red light district" than a naval vessel of all males. Also, not sure about your Navy, but ours either sits at the dock for extended periods, leading to more opportunity for the crew to desire these services, or they are on extended maneuvers and long periods between ports, unlike the almost daily in port environment of a cruise ship. And further, what does STD's have to do with noro or even personal hygiene? Have there been huge reports of passengers contracting STD's from cruise ships?
No it is just a simple point that the crew are not holier than holy saints and are not the epitome of cleanliness and exceptional hygiene. They are human like the rest of us and easily make mistakes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sydney, Australia
14,694 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
What you described above is poor management on behalf of the cruise line and perhaps your line of work. Handing passengers cards and documents and then placing a hand sanitiser in their face. What do you expect them to do?
I do agree with this. I'm not even sure of the point of one there; when I first sailed on cruises that wasn't in place. If it's just for general cleanliness put it at entry to the terminal when people's hands won't be full - and before they're instructed by staff to hold documents/passes in their hand!

Design things in a bad way, then don't be surprised when they're not used effectively...
Canberra Australia
44,381 Posts
Joined Apr 2012

I wouldn't think the red light district is a nest for noro.
Canberra Australia
44,381 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
No it is just a simple point that the crew are not holier than holy saints and are not the epitome of cleanliness and exceptional hygiene. They are human like the rest of us and easily make mistakes.
No one said they were, it is just that if they do not adhere to policy , they are in breach of contract and face dismissal. They have a lot more riding on maintaining hygiene that the average passenger.
Sydney Australia
1,692 Posts
Joined May 2010

Perhaps they could use a little "common sense" and NOT stick the card in their mouth....... and by the way ..the sanitizer is for the hands ..not the face 😱
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ruby Princess
Mediterranean- July 2009
Dawn Princess - Whitsundays October 2010

Rhapsody of the Seas- Sydney-Hawaii April 2011
Radiance of the Seas-Top End Australia February 2012
Reef Endeavour - Yasawa Islands Fiji- May 2012
Oosterdam-Pacific Islands March 2014
Celebrity Solstice-Sydney-Hawaii April 2015
Celebrity Infinity- Panama Canal April/May 2015
Pacific Eden - Australia Day January 2017

Carnival Legend-3 day Sampler November 2017
Yulara, NT Australia
1,000 Posts
Joined Dec 2014
All things being fair and equal I think that the crew are just as likely culprits to spread this virus as the next passenger.

Picking up empty bar glasses with their finger inside the rim and then picking up a new glass to serve the passenger a fresh drink is one example.

To save raving I will leave it at that. They are not saints and they are humans who make mistakes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Batehaven, Australia
11,669 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MicCanberra
This is why I don't use my phone on the ship, wouldn't want to catch any STDs
I don't even take our mobile phone overseas, iPad will do, use the Elite internet on Princess and most hotels give it to you anyway. I don't think the Noro would hit ye olde iPad. But one could contract it from the key board of the on board 'putters, watch out for them little varmints.

Tell you a little dirty story from Golden Princess in 2014, don't get too excited. I was at the mens urinal, adjacent to the Wheelhouse Bar, a bar tender came in, used it, and was walking out the door, I yelled out 'Hey you forgot to wash your hands.' He turned around, glared at me and ended up giving his hand a wash, grub, if I had not been there, he would have taken his germs back into his bar. True story. Yes, some of the crew members are not real hygienic.

As for them visiting houses of ill repute, they would be the el cheapo ones, they send most of their coin home to Manilla or Mumbai and other places.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Baltics, Scandinavia, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last trifecta of cruises:
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

Next Cruise: Nil booked. 'The Boss' has had enough of ships.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Blue Mountains
784 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
The Ovation has iPads in the promenade to use the Royal IQ app to book restaurant and shore excursion bookings. Drinks at the Bionic Bar are ordered on iPads. I wouldn’t be game to even touch them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE - Syd-Kobe Feb 2017

Sea Princess Bris-Syd Jan 2017
Pacific Eden - Papua & New Guinea and Solomon Islands Oct 2016
Celebrity Solstice - Ultimate Alaska Sept 2015
Voyager of the Seas - Sydney to NZ Feb 2015
Carnival Spirit - South Pacific and Fiji - Nov 2014
Radiance of the Seas - Honolulu to Sydney - Sept 2012
Rhapsody of the Seas -South Pacific - Nov 2011