Gifts for your room attendant?

I give little trinkets from where I live. Miniature John Deere trucks hats and keychains. I also usually bring a 5x7 or 8x10 framed pic of our family for the steward as we tend to cruise the same ships more than 1x and for holiday cruises I tend to bring holiday related stuff. A plastic pumpkin fill with candy at Halloween. A felt stocking at Christmas and a basket at Easter. We drive to ports so we can easily bring larger sizes

The stewards love this stuff

Giving cash above and beyond the prepaid tips just seems impersonal to me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, they don't. But they aren't dumb enough to let you know. What the hockeysticks are they going to do with a portrait of your family. A good thing to ask yourself when contemplating something like this is 'what if everyone did it?'. What would a steward do with dozens of family portraits of people he barely knows?

Seriously? Why on earth would they want a framed photo of YOUR family? They have almost no storage in their cabins - barely enough to display a photo of THEIR family.

I think that many people forget that the crew are on board to perform a job. Most of them come from regions of the world where poverty is endemic. While $35 may not seem like a lot of money to those of us who can afford to cruise - that same $35 buys a lot of necessities back home where the crew come from. I believe that most of the crew are sending their paychecks home to support their family. If we give them cash as an additional tip they can choose to spend it on themselves right then or send it home. I think it should be their decision.

I looked up the average MONTHLY earnings in Indonesia - where many of the crew are from. For 2017, it was $183 US PER MONTH! So just think - that $35 of extra gratuities would amount to 19% of the average monthly income. Puts things in more perspective.

You do know that whole post .... was a joke. It was pretty funny. I enjoyed it! :') ;p

No, they don't. But they aren't dumb enough to let you know. What the hockeysticks are they going to do with a portrait of your family. A good thing to ask yourself when contemplating something like this is 'what if everyone did it?'. What would a steward do with dozens of family portraits of people he barely knows?

OMG ... It's a JOKE people .... haha funny funny .... :') :')

Seriously? Why on earth would they want a framed photo of YOUR family? They have almost no storage in their cabins - barely enough to display a photo of THEIR family.

I think that many people forget that the crew are on board to perform a job. Most of them come from regions of the world where poverty is endemic. While $35 may not seem like a lot of money to those of us who can afford to cruise - that same $35 buys a lot of necessities back home where the crew come from. I believe that most of the crew are sending their paychecks home to support their family. If we give them cash as an additional tip they can choose to spend it on themselves right then or send it home. I think it should be their decision.

I looked up the average MONTHLY earnings in Indonesia - where many of the crew are from. For 2017, it was $183 US PER MONTH! So just think - that $35 of extra gratuities would amount to 19% of the average monthly income. Puts things in more perspective.

Great point.

The crew are to nice and will want to please you by seeming to like your gifts but cash is really what they want.

I give little trinkets from where I live. Miniature John Deere trucks hats and keychains. I also usually bring a 5x7 or 8x10 framed pic of our family for the steward as we tend to cruise the same ships more than 1x and for holiday cruises I tend to bring holiday related stuff. A plastic pumpkin fill with candy at Halloween. A felt stocking at Christmas and a basket at Easter. We drive to ports so we can easily bring larger sizes

You are funny. I'm lmao. An 8 x 10 framed pic of your family? I'm sure they hang that on the wall of their stateroom. I would like to cruise and drink with you.

You do know that whole post .... was a joke. It was pretty funny. I enjoyed it! :') ;p

Ok, I must have missed something. MaggieCruises never said it was a joke. And I've seen a few passengers come close to doing what she described. What inside info do you have that it was a joke?

Ok, I must have missed something. MaggieCruises never said it was a joke. And I've seen a few passengers come close to doing what she described. What inside info do you have that it was a joke?

Hahaha The WHOLE post ... that's what I have telling me it's a joke! Lighten up ... people are having fun. :D

You are do realize no matter how many times you advise the crew wants cash an not trinkets and trash, it will be ignored. That stuff gets thrown away....right after the crew members smiles and profusely thanks the passenger. We will keep advising cash, they will keep bringing things the crew does not want or need.

You are do realize no matter how many times you advise the crew wants cash an not trinkets and trash, it will be ignored. That stuff gets thrown away....right after the crew members smiles and profusely thanks the passenger. We will keep advising cash, they will keep bringing things the crew does not want or need.
I agree with your comments.

Hahaha please tell me this is a joke!

Besides giving my room steward extra cash, to free up space in our luggage I usually leave either a bottle of wine purchased from one of the port stops and the half used bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc. I normally advise the steward of my plan before the end of the voyage.

Way back in the way back days when I was still reading paper books, I was chatting with our room steward, and he mentioned his wife loves to read. It was a hard back in pristine condition, and I gave it to him when I was done along with a bottle of wine. He was so excited that he had nice gifts for his wife, it melted my heart.

I agree. Although I might consider wrapping the cash around a chocolate bar as a sweet treat for my cabin steward. :)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742:-)

When I exchange pounds for Euros I always get $200 as well for extra tips on board RC.

Just wondering why you give $. Part of our conflict is; do we give Euros so that the steward has spending money for when they go ashore or do we give $ so that they can spend it on the ship/send home?

Just wondering why you give $. Part of our conflict is; do we give Euros so that the steward has spending money for when they go ashore or do we give $ so that they can spend it on the ship/send home?
Believe me it would be a lot easier giving Euros but the smallest note is €5.

A lot of my tips are given in the DL/CL where I always give $1 a drink tip and for breakfast room service where I give $3 tip.

The crew tell me they love dollars and it is the onboard currency for them too to spend on board so I make the effort to get dollar's for them.