Massdam Zodiacs

Martezz

So a total of 80 pax can be accommodated? That's a pretty small percentage of the passenger complement. Since the zodiacs are getting so much attention in HAL's promo info, I wonder if there will be many disappointed passengers.

That's assuming that 80 pax will use the zodiacs for an entire time period and remain onboard that entire time. I have a feeling - yes, assuming here without any backup data - that they'll be used more to visit small islands and/or places without tender docks, drop off those pax for exploring, and go back (those same bad boy zodiacs) to pick up additional guests at mama ship. Time will tell when Massie reaches the South Pacific

Many of us are watching this new adventure for the Maasdam and HAL, with Zodiacs and extra attention to learning as well as seeing new places off the beaten path. Will the Zodiacs be an extra charge shore tour or included?

Oh, without a doubt, I'm sure there will be a hefty charge for those excursions.

That's assuming that 80 pax will use the zodiacs for an entire time period and remain onboard that entire time. I have a feeling - yes, assuming here without any backup data - that they'll be used more to visit small islands and/or places without tender docks, drop off those pax for exploring, and go back (those same bad boy zodiacs) to pick up additional guests at mama ship. Time will tell when Massie reaches the South Pacific

Exactly what I was thinking. It is not the most comfy craft to ride in but perfect for that purpose.

I'm going to speculate here on a few things with the benefit of experience with Zodiacs and big cruise ships from my Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise.

The first thing I wonder about is how they be accessed: On my cruise the crew fabricated a special "Zodiac adapter" for the tender platform since I think the zodiacs ride closer to the water than the hatches on a typical tender. I wonder if Maasdam will have such a thing.

I can imagine 3 potential uses for the zodiacs:

1. As tenders in lieu of the traditional tender where a destination does not have a real tender dock. I wonder if that could even apply to Pitcairn Island. The way Crystal handled that was by assigning a zodiac schedule (free).

2. For scenic cruising and the like which I would expect to have a fee attached (Crystal called those "unexpected adventures), and there was both a lottery system and a significant fee).

3. As a way to get to special places even where the tenders are used to get to the main part of town.

I wonder which if any of these options will apply on the Maasdam.

Roy

I'm going to speculate here on a few things with the benefit of experience with Zodiacs and big cruise ships from my Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise.

The first thing I wonder about is how they be accessed: On my cruise the crew fabricated a special "Zodiac adapter" for the tender platform since I think the zodiacs ride closer to the water than the hatches on a typical tender. I wonder if Maasdam will have such a thing.

I can imagine 3 potential uses for the zodiacs:

1. As tenders in lieu of the traditional tender where a destination does not have a real tender dock. I wonder if that could even apply to Pitcairn Island. The way Crystal handled that was by assigning a zodiac schedule (free).

2. For scenic cruising and the like which I would expect to have a fee attached (Crystal called those "unexpected adventures), and there was both a lottery system and a significant fee).

3. As a way to get to special places even where the tenders are used to get to the main part of town.

I wonder which if any of these options will apply on the Maasdam.

Roy

I think you're right on, Roy! Maasie's Zodiacs will be lowered to the water from her bow using a crane with, more than likely, the operator inside. The zodiac will come alongside at one of MADM's tender platforms similar to what a regular tender does, and is secured with a bow and stern line by Maasdam's sailors.

As you said, zodiacs will lay much lower in the water than ship's tenders, sea conditions permitting. Depending on the mobility of the pax, it will either be a matter of "stepping in, and down" assisted by the driver inside, and by whom are known on HAL as "MAT" personnel with or without some kind of "Zodiac adapter" similar to what you describe as being used on Crystal.

I've not read mention of San Blas islands in years but have very fun memories of a few visits there. Did the young men dive for 'hings thrown overboard ?"

\

i love those Molas. :)

Did they ask for $$ if you wanted to take a photo? :D

Definitely...$1 per photo!

Definitely...$1 per photo!

A bargain. :) I think he price used to be a bit higher such unique photos. . Some of the ladies who do that intricate handwork are terrific. :)

I found it such an interesting place snd then we no longer saw it on HAL tineraries. I bought a few molas and then learned they were being sold at Saks.

Thank you for responding, Martezz

I think you're right on, Roy! Maasie's Zodiacs will be lowered to the water from her bow using a crane with, more than likely, the operator inside. The zodiac will come alongside at one of MADM's tender platforms similar to what a regular tender does, and is secured with a bow and stern line by Maasdam's sailors.<SNIP>

How about lowering the first one with a sailor and then tethering the other zodiacs to the first one so the other drivers can board from the tender platform?

BTW, it looks like Maasdam has cleared the Miguel lock and is on her way to the Miraflores:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=Miraflores

Roy

How about lowering the first one with a sailor and then tethering the other zodiacs to the first one so the other drivers can board from the tender platform?

BTW, it looks like Maasdam has cleared the Miguel lock and is on her way to the Miraflores:

Roy

I'm sure they will look at that option and/or have already done so! Where do the Crystal ships store their zodiacs?

As a side tidbit, when we were in Anchorage on Amsterdam last season, we were dealing with what can only be called as extreme tidal fluctuation. The ship came down so low that embarkation/disembarkation of pax even on boat deck/deck 3 became problematic. The option of attaching a long gangway to the bow was seriously entertained as a result

Sadly, Crystal never carried Zodiacs. They were carried on our support ship, the RSS Shackleton.

That situation in Anchorage was a real challenge. Even if they tried to use the bow, my recollection is that they would still need to rig up something to get them back down from the bow railing to the deck.

Roy

Sadly, Crystal never carried Zodiacs. They were carried on our support ship, the RSS Shackleton.

That situation in Anchorage was a real challenge. Even if they tried to use the bow, my recollection is that they would still need to rig up something to get them back down from the bow railing to the deck.

Roy

Thanks, I do remember your descriptions of RSS Shackleton during your north-west passage adventure

Yes, there would have been a set of step downs inside the bow. I went home the week before this was to be implemented. Heard later on that the tide flux that week wasn't as bad as the week before so it was "business as usual" from Deck 3

A bargain. :) I think he price used to be a bit higher such unique photos. . Some of the ladies who do that intricate handwork are terrific. :)

I found it such an interesting place snd then we no longer saw it on HAL tineraries. I bought a few molas and then learned they were being sold at Saks.

Thank you for responding, Martezz

Seems to be only exotic HAL itineraries now. Both the Grand South America and World Cruise go there in 2019.'

Roy

As you said, zodiacs will lay much lower in the water than ship's tenders, sea conditions permitting. Depending on the mobility of the pax, it will either be a matter of "stepping in, and down" assisted by the driver inside, and by whom are known on HAL as "MAT" personnel with or without some kind of "Zodiac adapter" similar to what you describe as being used on Crystal.

I think I'll eliminate the possibility of falling while boarding a zodiac, and will just cross my arms over my chest and cannonball into it. I'm sure the crew would be very accommodating of that entrance, and might even ask others to do the same. :')

As far as being physically fit enough to go on a zodiac, I'm pretty sure it's less stress on the body than whitewater rafting, so we're good with that.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think I'll eliminate the possibility of falling while boarding a zodiac, and will just cross my arms over my chest and cannonball into it. ........................... :)

Me thinks that cold even get you some good scores from the East German judge! ;p

Me thinks that cold even get you some good scores from the East German judge!

I'll bet I could get even more points if I ejected 1 or more zodiac operators. LOL If you can't have fun, why go on a cruise? :halo:

I think I'll eliminate the possibility of falling while boarding a zodiac, and will just cross my arms over my chest and cannonball into it. I'm sure the crew would be very accommodating of that entrance, and might even ask others to do the same. :')

As far as being physically fit enough to go on a zodiac, I'm pretty sure it's less stress on the body than whitewater rafting, so we're good with that.

What’s your plan for return to the mothership? Jacob’s Ladder? Rappel?

:o

Usually 2 sailors, anchored to the platform with a rope, will assist you into the zodiac. It is a matter of stepping on the edge of the zodiac and then down into it. Easy peasy.

Following pictures show the setup of the Hurtigrutens Ms Spitsbergen and my wife getting into the boat. She has mobility problems but had no problem getting in this way.

OI000022-01%201_zps5bovlrcd.jpeg

OI000020-01%203_zpselwdddri.jpeg

Roy

Thanks Roy I was looking yesterday to see if I could watch her do the transit, but missed her.

Allan

In Timmer's blog, he notes that a complaint on the current Maasdam cruise is "

scheduling major talks during times many of us are off the ship."

I wonder if this means that they are not taping talks to be shown on stateroom TVs.

This was one bad thing about our cruise on the Koningsdam, when they claimed that the newfangled TV system would not allow taping and broadcasting of talks.