Surprised by policy on ship sponsored shore tour

Scotto97

We just finished a wonderfully 3 day cruise on the Imagination, but were quite frustrated by what seems like a crazy shipboard policy:

Ensenada, Mexico actually has a wine region about 45 minutes from town and we took a ship sponsored tour for a reasonable fee of $45.

It is well know that each attendee is given a bottle of wine after leaving the first of two wineries visited. On Princess, we were allowed to bring this bottle to our room (After all, it was given to us by a ship sponsored tour - we paid Princess directly)

But on the Imagination, it was confiscated upon enter and not to be given back until the morning of debarkation.

Sine we were flying back with carry-on luggage only, the 2 bottles were basically wasted and taken from us without the ability to be enjoyed.

We pleaded our case with Guest Services but it fell on very deaf ears with little empathy displayed. We were Cheers participants, so no money would be lost in allowing us to enjoy the wine that Carnival basically gave us in the first place.

The paperwork we were given when the bottles were taken said "Any alcohol PURCHASED while onshore will be held...." But this was not purchased - it was given to us while on a ship-purchase tour.

This policy makes no sense, and sets passengers up for frustration.

IMHO, they should either allow this gift to be enjoyed onboard or stop the practice altogether - don't give us something just to take it away in hopes of making additional profit. That's creating mixed messages and a poor customer experience.

I don't see the issue. All alcohol is confiscated when boarding. I would have expected it if I was on that cruise.

True. And OP didn't pay Carnival for the wine, they paid the excursion operator, Carnival just was the excursion sponsor (although, they got their mark-up, of course).

It is a shame, though, to let that wine go to waste. Unfortunately, Princess and Carnival have different policies regarding bringing wine on board.

I don't see the issue. All alcohol is confiscated when boarding. I would have expected it if I was on that cruise.

I beg to differ - Carnival knows full well that this tour gives participants a bottle of wine. And I paid Carnival directly for the tour.

Therefor this is no different than when a passenger wins a trivia contest and is given a bottle of wine or champagne - it's not immediately taken back from them is it?

Unless you're saying that Carnival has no knowledge of what happens on its officially sanctioned shore tours.......

I've heard of "Cheerleaders", but ..............

No one finds this policy in-congruent ?

Giving a bottle of wine during an official Carnival shoretour just to take it away at boarding

What's the difference between this and awarding a bottle on-board for winning a contest ?

Both were Carnival sponsored activities

Giving a bottle of wine during an official Carnival shoretour just to take it away at boarding

What's the difference between this and awarding a bottle on-board for winning a contest ?

I may be the only one but I agree with you. You are absolutely correct and if they plan on confiscating it then it should be clearly stated on the excursion as it is not part of the pre-boarding policy. So then you can plan accordingly. You could have sat down in port (maybe pay a corkage fee) and enjoyed the wine before boarding.

I may be the only one but I agree with you. You are absolutely correct and if they plan on confiscating it then it should be clearly stated on the excursion as it is not part of the pre-boarding policy. So then you can plan accordingly. You could have sat down in port (maybe pay a corkage fee) and enjoyed the wine before boarding.

I mostly agree with the OP on this, but, I pulled the following from Carnival's website for what appears to be the tour the OP is referring too....make of it what you will....

• "Learn about the history of Ensenada and the Baja area as well as the local customs and traditions.
  • Take a 30-45 minute tour of each winery and discover how they transform crushed grapes into delightful bottles of wine, sherry, tequila and brandy.
  • Taste selected wines served with assorted cheeses and biscuits.
  • Visit the winery’s store, where you may purchase these wines at considerable savings. A free bottle of wine is included with this tour. Please refer to Carnival's Liquor Policy.
  • Browse Ensenada’s main shopping district for Mexican handicrafts and imported merchandise, or return directly to the ship. Guests wishing to stay downtown will be responsible for their return transportation or make the short walk back to the ship."

I mostly agree with the OP on this, but, I pulled the following from Carnival's website for what appears to be the tour the OP is referring too....make of it what you will....

• "Learn about the history of Ensenada and the Baja area as well as the local customs and traditions.
  • Take a 30-45 minute tour of each winery and discover how they transform crushed grapes into delightful bottles of wine, sherry, tequila and brandy.
  • Taste selected wines served with assorted cheeses and biscuits.
  • Visit the winery’s store, where you may purchase these wines at considerable savings. A free bottle of wine is included with this tour. Please refer to Carnival's Liquor Policy.
  • Browse Ensenada’s main shopping district for Mexican handicrafts and imported merchandise, or return directly to the ship. Guests wishing to stay downtown will be responsible for their return transportation or make the short walk back to the ship."

I looked at that before I posted and it leaves it open for debate as it only mentions Alcohol that was "Purchased" So it can be interpreted either way I suppose.

I looked at that before I posted and it leaves it open for debate as it only mentions Alcohol that was "Purchased" So it can be interpreted either way I suppose.

no it mentions the free bottle too

also - if you won a free bottle of wine on the ship and took it off the ship in a port and then decided not to drink it and bring it back on board... you would STILL have to give it up and not get it back until the end of the cruise

Thanks for sharing your experience so others can learn and plan accordingly. Maybe others will know to get the bottle of wine opened before leaving the winery so they can enjoy it on the bus ride back to the ship, or to bring a corkscrew with them on the excursion.

But you may carryon two bottles of wine so I am confused on way the ship held it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The carry on allowance is only at the port of embarkation. All liquor coming back to the ship at ports of call are collected, stored, and returned to the owner on the last night (for longer cruises) or debarkation morning.

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions.

I really appreciate RenoNanaOz researching the website and including the tour description. Although the liquor policy is mentioned, it would be nice if the description clearly stated the free bottle given would be confiscated and returned only at debarkation, as this could affect many that pack lightly on this shorter cruise.

It didn't help that the tour guide also stated the wine could be taken back and enjoyed onboard

Nope. No problem with the policy. The wine WAS purchased (as part of the tour) so it was PURCHASED wine (nice try at nitpicking a policy though).

The difference with winning a bottle on board is that it is already on board. You're not trying to smuggle it through security.

Pleading your case is a bit dramatic don't you think? If you fly you can put that bottle of wine in your luggage on the way to the airport. If you only have carry on luggage then you can have a great party in the taxi ride to the airport.

If you ask nicely, I'l show you my pompoms. :*

I can see the OP point that this was a bottle of wine purchased from Carnival so they should have allowed the passengers to enjoy the wine from the tour they took. But since they had the Cheers program I doubt they free bottle of wine was better than many of the other wine options available.

...if they plan on confiscating it

...and they do; it's standard Carnival policy.....

then it should be clearly stated on the excursion as it is not part of the pre-boarding policy. So then you can plan accordingly.
The excursion description refers the reader to Carnival's liquor policy. I do agree that the excursion description should be worded more precisely: "A free bottle of wine is included with this tour. As with all wines acquired in ports of call, it will be retained at boarding and returned to you before debarkation."

I agree that’s its a frustrating practice. It’s pretty consistent across the main steam lines, though. As we like to do winery/distillery tours, we’ve found that the bus trip back to the ship is a great time to enjoy the wine - and make new friends!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pretty obvious what the difference is, one is given ON the ship and the other is given while OFF the ship. What's not obvious about the difference?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the great comments and suggestions.

I really appreciate RenoNanaOz researching the website and including the tour description. Although the liquor policy is mentioned, it would be nice if the description clearly stated the free bottle given would be confiscated and returned only at debarkation, as this could affect many that pack lightly on this shorter cruise.

It didn't help that the tour guide also stated the wine could be taken back and enjoyed onboard

That's a shame. You have to understand that the tours are not owned and operated by Carnival. Carnival offers the excursions and then contracts with a local tour company to provide them. Basically, you pay the local tour operator through Carnival and Carnival enjoys a profit margin for their service of organizing the excursion and their guarantees (price matching and back-to-ship guarantee). The tour operator obviously isn't aware of Carnival's policies.