Buffet line etiquette?

If I have ever seen anyone eating food while in the buffet line and then licking their fingers I have forgotten it. Or it's never happened.

I try to be careful on the ship, as in using a knuckle to press the elevator button rather than my fingers, not touching the railings, etc. but I'm not over the top about it. I wash my hands often and don't touch my face.

Kind of reminds me of the big box stores that have wipes right by the door so you can wipe down the handle of your cart before you start shopping. I rarely see anyone use them but when I do I just have to snicker to myself because they're so worried about getting germs on their hands from the cart handle, but the very first item you touch in the store to purchase definitely has germs on it. You have no idea how many hands have touched that particular item. So I really see no point in wiping down the handle of the cart, unless of course it's visibly dirty. But then I would just choose a different cart.

I am British [emoji23] I was being tongue in cheek [emoji23]

Then you should have know that Americans rarely get British wit. :)

I bet those same people that have poor manners in the buffet line also dress in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops.

In fact, this whole problem - of people's boorish behaviour and habits - it really the fault of the English. If you hadn't lost that war back in 1783 we would still be an English colony with separate classes, and the ships would all have separate areas for upper and lower class. And we all know that upper class people always display proper manners. :)

I bet those same people that have poor manners in the buffet line also dress in shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops.

In fact, this whole problem - of people's boorish behaviour and habits - it really the fault of the English. If you hadn't lost that war back in 1783 we would still be an English colony with separate classes, and the ships would all have separate areas for upper and lower class. And we all know that upper class people always display proper manners. :)

Love it......I agree.....Damn COLONISTS

So, people who aren't European can't be disgusting in a buffet queue?

Sorry...didn't mean to offend anyone. I meant to include that I have since been told that it is a "difference in culture". Although, my U.K. friends tell me that isn't really the case either. Either way....I would prefer folks use tongs rather than their hands!😀

Sorry...didn't mean to offend anyone. I meant to include that I have since been told that it is a "difference in culture". Although, my U.K. friends tell me that isn't really the case either. Either way....I would prefer folks use tongs rather than their hands!😀

I've only ever cruised in Europe, and I've never seen anyone grab food with their hands. If I have, I've forgotten it.

If the nose-picking, finger-licking, dirty-plate buffet grazer puts the tongs back in the food, you worry about germs. The tongs should be out on the little plate thingie there!

Then you next use the tongs to get your food--haven't the tongs ended up in the food anyway? And now it's your fault the tongs have touched the food. Shame on you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

One day I hope to have this much time on my hands.

Apparently you do.

Proper Windjammer etiquette says if the first person in the Windjammer stops at the first food location, nobody is allowed to pass him until he examines every item and picks his.

:confused:

Are you referring to Cunard Cruise Line? ;)

While it doesn't help with people touching food with their hands in the serving dishes.....I ALWAYS carry hand sanitizer and use it after going through the buffet and before touching my utensils. If I use salt/pepper or a bottle/package condiment, etc I sanitize my hands again after touching them. (I keep the sanitizer on the table during the meal!)

Ditto - we do this too.

I feel like I am one of those people who will occasionally take a quick bite of something on my plate while I'm in line. I mean...I'm not going to grab a handful of curry or anything with a significant amount of residue, but if I've got something like a dinner roll or a waffle on there, sure I'll take a bite. It's not like I shove my fingers in my mouth up to the second knuckle and slurp food right off my hand, so to be honest I don't see how it's a very germy thing to do.

I feel like I am one of those people who will occasionally take a quick bite of something on my plate while I'm in line. I mean...I'm not going to grab a handful of curry or anything with a significant amount of residue, but if I've got something like a dinner roll or a waffle on there, sure I'll take a bite. It's not like I shove my fingers in my mouth up to the second knuckle and slurp food right off my hand, so to be honest I don't see how it's a very germy thing to do.

What are you eating and are you eating it with your fingers and then handling another food's utensils afterwards? For example eating some shrimp with your fingers and than using the tongs for the chicken strips. That could be problematic if the next person to handle the tongs for the chicken strips is allergic to shell fish.

Man you're that hungry and can't wait to sit down at your table to enjoy your meal...:rolleyes:

I stood next to a lady looking for a roll. She picked one up with her hands to see how hard/soft it was. She decided she didn't want that one. I spoke up and said, "don't put that back after you touched it. Take it and throw it away". She did take it and looked at me like, "oh, okay". :rolleyes:

I stood next to a lady looking for a roll. She picked one up with her hands to see how hard/soft it was. She decided she didn't want that one. I spoke up and said, "don't put that back after you touched it. Take it and throw it away". She did take it and looked at me like, "oh, okay". :rolleyes:

I would like for you to be in front of me in the buffet line.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

On Jewel I watched a lady do this with 10 more hot dog buns till she found one, " Just right" Moments later I went to the watermelon as it is usually really good and in April, we northerners haven't had any really great watermelon in months, anyway this lady took the entire tray back to her table and used it as a centerpiece for her family.

I, too, have seen this happen. I guess if you eat in buffets enough times, and I do frequently, there is not much you won't occasionally see. Once on Oasis I was in the Solarium Cafe for lunch. This kid walks by the desserts, picks one up and stiffs it to see what it smelled like, then put it back down. That one even got to this die hard buffet lover.

I, too, have seen this happen. I guess if you eat in buffets enough times, and I do frequently, there is not much you won't occasionally see. Once on Oasis I was in the Solarium Cafe for lunch. This kid walks by the desserts, picks one up and stiffs it to see what it smelled like, then put it back down. That one even got to this die hard buffet lover.

It must have been the same kid that stuck his whole upper body half up under the "sneeze guard" to be able to reach and shake every bowl of jello...he opted to take none. :eek:

...I would guess picking up and putting back on the plate food one dropped on the floor would also be frowned upon? Despite the 5 second rule?

Not sure if you are being serious but I would never eat anything off the floor. If this happens to you or you see it happen with another passenger, tell a crew member and they will clean it up. This is especially important with tongs - I think I've heard them hit the floor on every cruise, and a surprising number of people put them back! Disgusting! Staff are more than willing to help "keep it clean", so my motto is always say something.;)

On Jewel I watched a lady do this with 10 more hot dog buns till she found one, " Just right" Moments later I went to the watermelon as it is usually really good and in April, we northerners haven't had any really great watermelon in months, anyway this lady took the entire tray back to her table and used it as a centerpiece for her family.

At least she didn't touch every piece of watermelon. You gotta thank heaven for small favors.

Moments later I went to the watermelon as it is usually really good and in April, we northerners haven't had any really great watermelon in months, anyway this lady took the entire tray back to her table and used it as a centerpiece for her family.

To me, it would have been acceptable to take a piece or two of watermelon from the tray at her table. Tongs optional.