Single Supplement

Why is the single supplement now 100%??? Maybe Royal is telling us that their food is not worth anything. Disgusting.

It seems that the general consensus is the upgrading of the system automatically converted all single supplements to the 100%. This weekend is probably not the best time to look at prices for solo rooms. I am going to wait to continue my solo searches next week after the system has been fully updated.

The one cool thing I've noticed so far is the addition of balcony discounts (you have to sign into RCCL to see your discount come up). The system even seemed to adjust my increased C&A status after my next cruise to show me my eventual discount as a Diamond (not my current Emerald discount). I was sort of impressed with th new feature. Hopefully, it's only one of many improvements (I would like them to give a search function for solo pricing).

You just can't compare a cabin to a hotel room. They don't feed you 24/7 in a hotel room. You should get some discount as solo. I sail with my hubby so this has no affect on us - I just think its not fair to the solo traveler.

It's related to this weekends website updates. Don't sweat it. Not all cruises going forward will be double prices for solo cruisers.

Don't forget that you are only paying taxes and fees for one person so it's not quite double even with the full single supplement. The decision on what to set the single supplement at is purely a business decision to maximize revenue. If the cruise is selling well and they know that they could sell that cabin to 2 people then they will charge the full supplement so that they do not lose potential revenue.

Hi,

Royal's supplement is high if you travel during summer vacation and holidays, but if you travel in the fall or off-season you can find some great deals.

I have only done 2 solo cruises, the rest were August with friends due to school schedules.

In November 2012, I paid 804 with port fees and taxes for the 8 night Brilliance repositioning cruise. On the October 13th Explorer cruise, I paid under $1,000 for 7 nights, taxes, port fees and tips. Both were category g, oceanview.

Both times, I booked about 6 months out and used savings certificates.

Met someone at Horseshoe Bay, that had three people in the cabin and they paid the same per person rate as a solo in the balcony. The solo person had booked earlier.

Why is the single supplement now 100%??? Maybe Royal is telling us that their food is not worth anything. Disgusting.
no, they're telling you that the nonexistent person in your cabin isn't spending any money on board.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You just can't compare a cabin to a hotel room. They don't feed you 24/7 in a hotel room. You should get some discount as solo. I sail with my hubby so this has no affect on us - I just think its not fair to the solo traveler.

I am confused. If it doesn't affect you, why are you upset? :confused:

The included food does not cost the cruise line much - about $12 per/person per/day. The cruise line prefers two in the room - the amount of money they have to pay to feed the second person is FAR less than the average person spends on the ship (gambling, shops, drinks, excursions, photos, spa etc.). That is why supplements are so high most of the time.

I am confused. If it doesn't affect you, why are you upset? :confused:

Too funny. It's amazing what ticks people off. :D

Single supplements are driven by Supply & Demand just like all pricing. It varies depending on the sailing and whether it's peak season or not. Also the percentage can change at anytime without notice just as any cruise line pricing. Anyone choosing to cruise solo must carefully shop all cruise line's to find the best price.

Sorry... that's life! Two days ago people were beside themselves that they were getting extra points, now hell is freezing over because "somebody" has to pay a 200% single supplement instead of the usual 180% or so when booking far in advance?

Be glad it doesn't apply to you, I guess :confused:?

Otherwise, the Tuesday sale usually has some low single supplements...

Around 73% of rci's income comes from cabin bookings.

That might be so, but you are confusing income with profit. There was a special, I believe about an NCL ship, and if they didn't reach a certain amount of onboard spending, they would have considered the cruise a loss, profit wise.

Gregg

I'm back.....with some new info.

There actually does seen to be a mistake in the website pricing right now.

I went to price a few cruises, solo.

The website is currently quoting DOUBLE, as in, only taxes aren't doubled. But part of the "fare" is "non-commissioned fare" that is NOT paid twice by a single passenger, just as the single does not pay twice the tax.

So the website is right now giving out incorrect fare quotes for singles.

:)

i am booked for 14n Feb on Voy, booked in May, and had to pay 200% less the port taxes (they are charged per person for that, and cannot charge you double).

Got one $200 discount for over 65/and past passenger status.

Would love to cruise more often, but those darn fees keep me from doing so, double points will be nice, but a free bag of laundry does not cut it!

And, I spend less than if I paid less, Usually do not book the spec restraunts,etc. Would buy more if I ended up with extra cash.

Most higher end ships are now running 2 for 1 cruises, and have no discount for singles either. (Chrystal,Oceana,Regent) Sign of the times I guess.

It seems that the general consensus is the upgrading of the system automatically converted all single supplements to the 100%. This weekend is probably not the best time to look at prices for solo rooms. I am going to wait to continue my solo searches next week after the system has been fully updated.

The one cool thing I've noticed so far is the addition of balcony discounts (you have to sign into RCCL to see your discount come up). The system even seemed to adjust my increased C&A status after my next cruise to show me my eventual discount as a Diamond (not my current Emerald discount). I was sort of impressed with th new feature. Hopefully, it's only one of many improvements (I would like them to give a search function for solo pricing).

I see this, too. It's nice the balcony discount comes up automatically when logged in. But there is still a big problem with the single supplement not being correct for those at a level high enough for just 150% instead of the full 200%. They should have that built in to the booking engine so bookings don't have to be made by phone.

Gina

Archived