Advice- awful train trip to Rome

I have checked a couple of pages of posts and couldn't see a post relating to this problem.

Friday we were supposed to get the RCI express train to Rome, no stops. Many cruise lines use this train. Up at 6, a quick bite to eat. Meet in the theatre. On the platform for 8.20. Waited for 20 mins for the train, no shade. Got on the train and our carriage had no aircon. Finally the train set off. It then stopped at the next station. After a while we found out that one of the ships' coaches were running late so we would wait for them.

After about an hour a lot of passengers got On, but we didn't set off for Rome! We spent about an hour and a half rolling about a foot an stopping. Finally we got told the train was broken and we would have to go back to Civitavecchia. We got back about 20 past 11.

Everything so far has been unfortunate. What annoyed me was that we then stood around in the Sun waiting for coaches that didn't turn up. No one from RCI there. No water or anything. The tour guide knew nothing so we walked to the main station to get a taxi at 12:10. No taxi so ended up walking through the town back to the shuttle bus. Got back to Indy and went to complain at customer services who said there was a replacement coach tour going at 1.30, it was now ~2.00, nothing else they could do. We didn't want to go to Rome at this point, we were dehydrated, tired and upset, so no great shakes that we'd missed the coach.

The advice I want. We got a full refund of the excursion cost 6 chocolates and a bottle of wine we don't want. I have now been told that if I want to take this further then I need to persue this when I get back home as they won't do anything on board.

Do I wait until I get home to seek some restitution for losing the main trip we wanted and losing a day of our holiday?

Thanks in advance for all the positive comments

I think that's a very generous offer. RCI is not responsible for the failings of an external train company. Claim on your travel insurance if anything.

Of course they are responsible. That is why I paid RCI $70 for the excursion rather than get the public train for €7

They contracted the excursion, but my contract is with RCI.

I am so sorry you had this horrible experience.

I feel they are responsible. I know you got the money back, but that's not really the point. You lost what was probably the "jewel" in the whole vacation. I bet there were a lot of people who might not get the chance to go to Rome again.

I firstly would have expected that there be reps from Royal with you on the train. Its not enough for their "express" to roll about for an hour going back and forward. If a rep was there maybe a decision could have made early enough to get you all on the "normal" train - at least you could have got to Rome - albeit for less time.

They sell all their trips as a Gold Standard, but sadly its not the case. My husband and daughter went on a ship sponsored thing once, he had to sit on the FLOOR of the van because there wasn't a seat for him.

I have learned through experience and will only go on a ship tour as a last resort.

Unfortunately, I don't think anything would "make" this better? And certainly people working on the ship have no authority to do anything meaningful.

A big old formal complaint might stop it from happening to other people though?

Of course they are responsible. That is why I paid RCI $70 for the excursion rather than get the public train for €7

Their T&C Disagree

Legal Responsibility

Royal Caribbean International offers shore excursions for guest convenience and peace of mind. Although we have carefully selected the finest excursions at each port, services are provided by independent tour operators. Royal Caribbean International will not be responsible or liable for any loss, damage, injury, costs, or delays resulting from or in conjunction with your use of these services.

Royal Caribbean International acts only as the agent of the supplier of these services and does so on the sole condition that no liability of any kind, however caused, shall attach to Royal Caribbean International or its agents, servants or employees in connection with or arising there from. All tickets, coupons and vouchers issued by Royal Caribbean International for shore excursions made on behalf of guests are solely subject to the terms and conditions of the person or company providing those transportation facilities ashore.

Their T&C Disagree

Legal Responsibility

Royal Caribbean International offers shore excursions for guest convenience and peace of mind. Although we have carefully selected the finest excursions at each port, services are provided by independent tour operators. Royal Caribbean International will not be responsible or liable for any loss, damage, injury, costs, or delays resulting from or in conjunction with your use of these services.

Royal Caribbean International acts only as the agent of the supplier of these services and does so on the sole condition that no liability of any kind, however caused, shall attach to Royal Caribbean International or its agents, servants or employees in connection with or arising there from. All tickets, coupons and vouchers issued by Royal Caribbean International for shore excursions made on behalf of guests are solely subject to the terms and conditions of the person or company providing those transportation facilities ashore.

I'm guessing you're quoting the US Ts&Cs? We must have more protection in the UK as ours only allow RCI to abdicate responsibility where they don't have anything to do with the excursion. If they sell it to us they are responsible.

I'm guessing you're quoting the US Ts&Cs? We must have more protection in the UK as ours only allow RCI to abdicate responsibility where they don't have anything to do with the excursion. If they sell it to us they are responsible.

Nope. Also listed in the UK T&C under 4.6

https://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/assets/pdf/terms-and-conditions/Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-UK-March-2017.pdf

Why are these boards full of negativity? No help, just criticism.

"We have no responsibility for any such activities, which are neither run,

supervised nor controlled in any way by us" as I bought through RCI as such they are running it for me.

If you have nothing positive to contribute then please refrain from criticising or trying to make yourself look good by belittling others.

supervised nor controlled in any way by us" as I bought through RCI as such they are running it for me.

If you have nothing positive to contribute then please refrain from criticising or trying to make yourself look good by belittling others.

I haven't criticised anything. You asked for opinions. I said I thought their offer was more than fair, and then pointed you to the T&C that you agreed to when you purchased the shore excursion. I think the Shore Excursion tickets themselves also list that the T&C are different.

The Cruise Contract covers the Cruise. Shore Excursions are not part of the Cruise Contract as they are operated by independent companies, all with their own T&C.

The train they sold you a ticket for is not operated by Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean has given you your money back plus more.

It is unfortunate they you were unable to get to Rome which was somewhere you wanted to visit, but I really don't know what you're expecting out of them.

I have checked a couple of pages of posts and couldn't see a post relating to this problem.

Friday we were supposed to get the RCI express train to Rome, no stops. Many cruise lines use this train. Up at 6, a quick bite to eat. Meet in the theatre. On the platform for 8.20. Waited for 20 mins for the train, no shade. Got on the train and our carriage had no aircon. Finally the train set off. It then stopped at the next station. After a while we found out that one of the ships' coaches were running late so we would wait for them.

After about an hour a lot of passengers got On, but we didn't set off for Rome! We spent about an hour and a half rolling about a foot an stopping. Finally we got told the train was broken and we would have to go back to Civitavecchia. We got back about 20 past 11.

Everything so far has been unfortunate. What annoyed me was that we then stood around in the Sun waiting for coaches that didn't turn up. No one from RCI there. No water or anything. The tour guide knew nothing so we walked to the main station to get a taxi at 12:10. No taxi so ended up walking through the town back to the shuttle bus. Got back to Indy and went to complain at customer services who said there was a replacement coach tour going at 1.30, it was now ~2.00, nothing else they could do. We didn't want to go to Rome at this point, we were dehydrated, tired and upset, so no great shakes that we'd missed the coach.

The advice I want. We got a full refund of the excursion cost 6 chocolates and a bottle of wine we don't want. I have now been told that if I want to take this further then I need to persue this when I get back home as they won't do anything on board.

Do I wait until I get home to seek some restitution for losing the main trip we wanted and losing a day of our holiday?

Thanks in advance for all the positive comments

I'm not clear of what advice you want? I missed a 1/2 day once, and a prepaid dinner due to an airline issue. The tour director made sure we had a late dinner arranged, that was good, but less than planned due to the late hour. No money, no bottle of wine or any type of refund. The rest of the trip was awesome.

What you described can happen while on your own. Imagine if it was the way back to the ship, and you made your arrangements on your own. You could have been stuck. This was a bad day, and a bad experience. You got a refund.

My advice to you, is accept things happen while traveling, and plans change, and you miss things. Than move on to the next day, a fresh start.

No help, just criticism. "We have no responsibility for any such activities, which are neither run, supervised nor controlled in any way by us" as I bought through RCI as such they are running it for me.

RCI is not running the excursion for you. Sorry your planned trip to Rome did not happen but technical problems do occur. Be happy it was not your airplane flight that had a technical problem causing you to miss the cruise! I don't think your are entitled to anything more than you already received. Let it go...

You're obviously new to these message boards. Unfortunately, you're barking up the wrong tree ...:rolleyes:

I agree. But the RCI cruise contract says otherwise.

Posting a warning here, as was done, is about the extent of what can be done. If enough people make known their trouble with this excursion eventually RCI will drop it for lack of revenue.

What are you talking about. Everybody on here has been telling you what you asked them for - some advice. Some of the posters even have gone to the extend to provide the T&C´s for you. Just because you didn´t like the answers everybody is criticizing you?

I´m sorry but even if the Captain had been on the train with you there would have been nothing he could have done. There is simply no need for any RCI representative on the train as they can´t do anything anyway.

Sure it´s unfortunate you missed Rome because all of it, but you got your money back and an apology. What more do you expect? A free cruise to get to Rome another time? Compensation for mental dissappointment? Sorry won´t happen.

I doubt you´ll get any further onboard and I doubt you´ll get any further back home. If you are confident a court will get you something else. Go and sue them once back home.

Push much harder. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Here's the deal... RCL makes a profit on the selling of the excursions. While SHIP does happen and while most will just take the refund then bitch a little and move on, it doesn't stop there. RCL wouldn't even give you a bottle of wine if there wasn't responsibility on their end. Give'em back the bottle and ask for the Hotel Mgr. Keep pushing.

Look, getting the refund of the excursion is expected and even entitled. As the excursion never took place. So what's happening here is that RCL is giving a cheap bottle of wine instead of a trip into Rome. Get real folks. Restitution is deserved here. It's part of doing business. They make millions annually by selling independent tours. A cheap bottle of wine would not work for me. But that's me.

Look, getting the refund of the excursion is expected and even entitled. As the excursion never took place. So what's happening here is that RCL is giving a cheap bottle of wine instead of a trip into Rome. Get real folks. Restitution is deserved here. It's part of doing business. They make millions annually by selling independent tours. A cheap bottle of wine would not work for me. But that's me.

What would work for you? I'm curious as to what make someone happy in this situation?

What are you talking about. Everybody on here has been telling you what you asked them for - some advice. Some of the posters even have gone to the extend to provide the T&C´s for you. Just because you didn´t like the answers everybody is criticizing you?

I´m sorry but even if the Captain had been on the train with you there would have been nothing he could have done. There is simply no need for any RCI representative on the train as they can´t do anything anyway.

Sure it´s unfortunate you missed Rome because all of it, but you got your money back and an apology. What more do you expect? A free cruise to get to Rome another time? Compensation for mental dissappointment? Sorry won´t happen.

I doubt you´ll get any further onboard and I doubt you´ll get any further back home. If you are confident a court will get you something else. Go and sue them once back home.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app