(Best perks) Which combination of two save you the most?

5kidslater

We've cruised several times before but never buy beverage packages. We do however, normally get a wifi package. This is a very special cruise for us so we'd like to splurge this time drink packages. We will also definitely get wi-fi and will obviously have to tip the crew. Given that we're not big drinkers - just sodas, lattes, wine, and the fun frozen drinks at the pool - what two perks make the most sense for us to choose? Thanks for any help you can offer! :):tropical-drink:

SaveSave

First perk for us is always the Beverage Package. For the second perk we choose either the gratuities or OBC. Our TA will give either gratuities or OBC. When on vacations we always stay disconnected from the world so Wi-Fi is never an option for us.

Edited by davekathy

We've cruised several times before but never buy beverage packages. We do however, normally get a wifi package. This is a very special cruise for us so we'd like to splurge this time drink packages. We will also definitely get wi-fi and will obviously have to tip the crew. Given that we're not big drinkers - just sodas, lattes, wine, and the fun frozen drinks at the pool - what two perks make the most sense for us to choose? Thanks for any help you can offer! :):tropical-drink:

Pricing is approximate, but assuming you get one latte ($5), one soda ($4), one glass of wine ($9), and one fun drink ($9), you've almost $32 (including gratuity). So take the beverage package for anything that would cost less than that. And if you have a beverage package, you can try some things you might not try otherwise or indulge yourself more (who knows, have a second glass of wine :o).

When we get two perks, we always choose beverage and $300 OBC. But we don't WANT internet to disturb our vacation -- you may want/need it.

Never OBC, is the same amount regardless of the length of the cruise. I will choose the Classic Beverages and Gratuities

For seven night cruises, tips come to $204. You can choose the $300 OBC and pay tips and have nearly $100 left over. For longer cruises you are right but most probably cruise 7 nights.

You have to do the math for your particular sailing and habits.

In the example above about OBC, the daily gratuities for 2 in a standard cabin (balcony, oceanview, inside) are $29 per day. If it's a 7-night cruise, that is $203. If it's a 14-day cruise, that is $406. So, you have to be on a sailing of 11 nights or longer for the free gratuities perk to have more value that $300 in OBC.

That is just one example of the calculations you need to do. With drink packages, also factor in whether or not there are a lot of port stops in your itinerary in which you'll be off the ship a lot. You have to drink a certain dollar amount per day to make them worthwhile from a cost perspective. Some people pay for the convenience of not doing the math, though.

Usually choose beverage as 1st perk even though I don't drink and don't even like coffee. Those non alcoholic beverages add up - fresh oj, sodas, water, specialty coffees for DH plus DH has an alcoholic beverage or 2 a day.

If we get a 2nd perk free with our booking, what we pick depends on length of cruise - we have two 14 day cruises booked. Gratuities are over $400 so we chose gratuities. Less than 10 days we choose the obc. 10 days could go either way depending on category of cabin.

Never OBC, is the same amount regardless of the length of the cruise. I will choose the Classic Beverages and Gratuities

While your premise as to Onboard Credit versus Prepaid Gratuities may be true if sharing a cabin--haven't done the math; my guess is the relationship varies based upon cruise length--the situation is very different if traveling as a solo...

• Onboard Credit is granted per cabin--trust me on this; lots of Celebrity experience--rather than per person...
  • Prepaid Gratuities [exclusive of any discretionary gratuities one might choose to distribute] are per person rather than per cabin...

For a solo, I've never encountered a situation in which the Onboard Credit doesn't equate to more personal value--by far--than does the Onboard Credit...

i agree with the previous posters, figure out the numbers and go from there. It really becomes a matter of simple math. When the numbers work we take the beverage package as well the wifi package as we like to stay in touch with family and what is happening back at home. Whatever costs the most are the perks to take advantage of as they will save you the most money.

Keep in mind with the beverage package if you are a wine drinker and they are offering the classic beverage package it may not be worthwhile unless you are prepared to upgrade to the premium package. We found on the last cruise that the selection of wines on the classic package was so crappy that we had to upgrade to get a decent glass of wine.

Bottom line it is a matter of your priorities and the math.

Which beverage package are you planning to buy? Ultimate non alcohol package is $26 per day including gratuities. Classic alcohol package is $66 per day including grats.

We always choose the Classic Alcohol package as one perk. When we get onboard, my husband trades his in for the Premium Non Alcohol package, since he doesn't drink alcohol and likes the sparkling waters. I keep my CAL and pay the difference for drinks when I want to try something on the premium list. I know between water, soda, cocktails, wine with dinner and coffee at al Bacio, I'd break even, at least. It's nice not to worry about the tab.

Next you have to do the math - is the OBC or grats worth more. Is 29 X #of days worth more than the onboard credit you are being offered?

When you book your cruise, ask if there are any internet discounts available. I received an email offer of 20% off unlimited internet, good until Sunday. If the offer isn't open to you, wait, check your email and cruise planner regularly for that and other discounts. You can always add internet on board.

When choosing 2 perks we always choose (in this order) Beverage Package and then gratuities. We always choose gratuities in favor of OBC because we generally sail longer itineraries and the gratuities offer a better value than the $300, but always calculate it. On occasion when sailing a short itinerary the $300 OBC is the greater value. I have also switched from one to the other ($300 OBC to gratuities) when the gratuity amount was increased between the time of booking and time of sailing.

SaveSave

Just one $9 glass of wine and one $5 specialty coffee with 18% gratuity adds up to a $16.52 savings - more than the daily gratuity. So if you are choosing included perks, the Classic Beverage Package is preferred to the included gratuity - and I can guarantee you that when you have the package you will have a few additional drinks - adding to the value received.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

i agree with the previous posters, figure out the numbers and go from there. It really becomes a matter of simple math. When the numbers work we take the beverage package as well the wifi package as we like to stay in touch with family and what is happening back at home. Whatever costs the most are the perks to take advantage of as they will save you the most money.

Keep in mind with the beverage package if you are a wine drinker and they are offering the classic beverage package it may not be worthwhile unless you are prepared to upgrade to the premium package. We found on the last cruise that the selection of wines on the classic package was so crappy that we had to upgrade to get a decent glass of wine.

Bottom line it is a matter of your priorities and the math.

Even if you would be consuming glasses of wine in excess of the $9 Classic ceiling price, the Classic Beverage Package perk is still a great choice relative to gratuities or OBC since for each glass of wine in excess of $9 the Classic saves you $10.62. Whether or not it would make sense to upgrade from Classic to Premium once you are on board is a separate issue.

We always get the drink package and hubby doesn't even drink alcohol, but it pays for itself with the specialty coffee and water and pop. Then if we are going on a 7 day cruise we do the OBC and if we are doing a 14 day cruise we do the grats.

OBC

Hi,

Thought would ask the question here since it’s sort in same vein of discussion.

Can you use OBC for specialty dining? We are a group of eight, want to make special night dinner reservation and apparently they need credit card to complete reservation. My husband phoned yesterday and asked if we could use it for shore excursions and the answer was yes..so how come not for specialty dinner? Travel agent is handling this. Not really a deal breaker but just curious.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OBC

Hi,

Thought would ask the question here since it’s sort in same vein of discussion.

Can you use OBC for specialty dining? We are a group of eight, want to make special night dinner reservation and apparently they need credit card to complete reservation. My husband phoned yesterday and asked if we could use it for shore excursions and the answer was yes..so how come not for specialty dinner? Travel agent is handling this. Not really a deal breaker but just curious.

Thanks for your help.

From what I have read is you can use your OBC for speciality dining but you can't book it before being on the ship.

You can also use it for your gratuities.

While your premise as to Onboard Credit versus Prepaid Gratuities may be true if sharing a cabin--haven't done the math; my guess is the relationship varies based upon cruise length--the situation is very different if traveling as a solo...

• Onboard Credit is granted per cabin--trust me on this; lots of Celebrity experience--rather than per person...
  • Prepaid Gratuities [exclusive of any discretionary gratuities one might choose to distribute] are per person rather than per cabin...

For a solo, I've never encountered a situation in which the Onboard Credit doesn't equate to more personal value--by far--than does the Onboard Credit...

Wow... Just returned to this thread to read subsequent posts and realized that, in attempting to express my earlier thoughts [above] clearly by restructuring the last sentence several times, I totally mangled my thoughts to the point of nonsense...

The last sentence of my earlier post should read:

"For a solo, I've never encountered a situation in which the Onboard Credit doesn't equate to more personal value--by far--than the Prepaid Gratuities..."

Sincerest apologies! As originally posted, my error had me scratching my head too!

Thank you, srdancer, for somehow knowing what I originally intended to say!

Edited by Xport

Thanks for info...we have a nice sum for OBC..as we both don’t drink so much but thought we would use for the specialty dinner night.

We usually do private tours but guess not this time....although I could and would use for massage!!

Another point is that’s a small part of this OBC is from the travel agent..

Thanks again...

SaveSave

We use to get excited to get drink pkg and free gratuity. But the last 2 cruises we have opted for the Best pkg and get all 4 perks.......my Nov 2018 cruise will be awesome. Premium drink pk, Free grats, Ultd wifi for 2 and $1250 in OBC......

We use to get excited to get drink pkg and free gratuity. But the last 2 cruises we have opted for the Best pkg and get all 4 perks.......my Nov 2018 cruise will be awesome. Premium drink pk, Free grats, Ultd wifi for 2 and $1250 in OBC......

Wow, how did you get $1250 OBC? Which ship and departure date?

How much did the cruise cost for a couple?

We always get the drink package and hubby doesn't even drink alcohol, but it pays for itself with the specialty coffee and water and pop. Then if we are going on a 7 day cruise we do the OBC and if we are doing a 14 day cruise we do the grats.

So for a 7 day, you think the OBC's are a better bargain than the grats?

Wow, all these replies have been so helpful! Thank you so much! I think what makes it a little confusion for me is that I don't know all the drink package options and prices. I'm assuming I can find those on the celebrity site and will go digging around there now. I also don't know how much a wifi package would be. I really do appreciate you taking the time to help!!

So for a 7 day, you think the OBC's are a better bargain than the grats?

The standard tipping rates are per person per day.

Standard accommodations are $14.50

Concierge and Aqua class are $15.00

Suites are $18.00

Do the math by multiplying number of persons x rate x days to see whether you're better off with OBC or gratuities. If you are allowed to select two perks, you generally get the best value by selecting Classic Beverage and gratuities. The unlimited WIFI is generally the least expensive of the perks and is sometimes on sale pre-cruise and sometimes is offered on a pro-rated basis during the cruise. Also, if you have any loyalty status you get a discount depending on level.