Gibraltar and the wild monkeys.

tillyboy

We will be in Gibraltar on our next cruise. Everything I've read, and all the excursions I'm looking into seem to stop where the monkeys are free to roam. My question is this: Do you have the option of somehow NOT being in close proximity to these wild animals? It appears they are everywhere, and have been know to grab purses and jump on tourists. I love animals, but I really am terrified to encounter them. Even the private tours seem to be unable to avoid them because they are everywhere! Any advice? I really want to visit Gibraltar. Thanks for any info.:(

We will be in Gibraltar on our next cruise. Everything I've read, and all the excursions I'm looking into seem to stop where the monkeys are free to roam. My question is this: Do you have the option of somehow NOT being in close proximity to these wild animals? It appears they are everywhere, and have been know to grab purses and jump on tourists. I love animals, but I really am terrified to encounter them. Even the private tours seem to be unable to avoid them because they are everywhere! Any advice? I really want to visit Gibraltar. Thanks for any info.:(

If you are on a bus tour (or any other vehicle), which is most likely, just stay in the vehicle.

When we last visited Gibraltar the monkeys were everywhere, but we weren't terrified of them. In fact I had my picture taken with a monkey sitting on my shoulder. They are very accustomed to having people around, and they didn't cause us any grief. Never saw them steal a wallet or heard that they did.:):)

I like monkeys just fine, but at a distance, not on me with their sharp teeth and dirty little fingernails. And when we were waiting for the cable car at one of the stops about half way up, one did jump on me, even though I had no food with me and was definitely not encouraging him. But so many tourists do encourage them that they are bold, and in this case misjudge whether they will be tolerated or even rewarded. I pushed him off and snapped “NO!” He sat on a post after that, and refused to look in my direction.

I think if you take a group tour and remain in the vehicle for any monkey stops you will be fine. Or take a taxi tour and tell the driver that you definitely don’t want to interact with the monkeys. But watch your tour companions. I’ve seen film clips where people dangle food over a friend’s head, trying to get a monkey to jump up and surprise the friend. I’d be getting new friends after that.

People do get scratched or bitten accasionally, so I completely understand your caution.

The apes didn't scare me, but I saw one run up to a lady who was carrying a plastic bag (despite being warned by the guide to not bring it along because the apes will try to steal it) ), and the animal snatched it and ran off with it. Fortunately, for the lady, our guide was able to retrieve it.

In one of the other areas where we were close to the apes, all of a sudden one quickly scooted up a small tree and jumped on the back of a female tourist, moved up to her head and sat there for a few seconds, and then jumped off and ran away. She was very surprised, as she was facing away from the ape and didn't even realize it had climbed the tree behind her. Fortunately she seem unharmed. All I could think was Ewwww, as I wondered how much ape poo was on those paws.

They are definitely unpredictable!!

The apes are not "everywhere", just in one specific area of the town.

They are not wild; they are much too acclimated to humans who have for years encouraged their antics.

Basically, they are little beggars & pests -- but part of the Gibraltar experience. You can avoid them or, at least, work around.

I too am a big animal person, but not a fan of these creatures.

Thanks, everyone for your helpful advice. If those apes can smell fear, then they will be all over the bus if I chose to stay in it!!:o I will research Gibraltar more thoroughly and decide what to do. One place I'm interested in seeing are St. Michael's Caves. I assume they can't get into the caves.....or can they?? Thanks!:confused:

Thanks, everyone for your helpful advice. If those apes can smell fear, then they will be all over the bus if I chose to stay in it!!:o I will research Gibraltar more thoroughly and decide what to do. One place I'm interested in seeing are St. Michael's Caves. I assume they can't get into the caves.....or can they?? Thanks!:confused:

No, you're quite safe down there and they are well worth the visit. Enjoy!

They aren't in the caves. I did see one on the railing near the entry to the caves. It wasn't aggressive, pretty relaxed actually, and I got a good picture.

We took a taxi tour which stopped at a look-out point, St Michael's caves, the top of the rock (where there are a lot of apes) and at the siege tunnels.

We left all packages and food inside the taxi van when we were at the top of the rock and the driver locked the van. The apes can be pretty clever after all this time about things like opening car doors. They didn't cause us any trouble, but they did snatch something from a hiker with a backpack coming up the trail. If you are concerned, it might be best to stay in the vehicle for the stop at the top of the rock. That seems to be where the more aggressive ones are.

The "monkeys" are actually barbary apes are all over the upper reaches of the Rock.

Actually...they're not apes, they're macaques, and they're monkeys.

Oh, and the more troublesome among them were relocated to Scotland:

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/thirty-mischievous-monkeys-relocated-gibraltar-4443466

When DH and I were in Gibraltar I had booked a private tour with Inside-Out Rock Tours. Carl was great, and he does his tours in a minivan, so no big bus involved.

https://www.rocktoursgibraltar.com/about-us

We second the recommendation!

I'm certainly not disagreeing, but even ship-sponsored tours are in vans (about 8 pax), because larger vehicles can't access the upper Rock beyond St Michael's cave

JB :)

I like monkeys just fine, but at a distance, not on me with their sharp teeth and dirty little fingernails. And when we were waiting for the cable car at one of the stops about half way up, one did jump on me, even though I had no food with me and was definitely not encouraging him. But so many tourists do encourage them that they are bold, and in this case misjudge whether they will be tolerated or even rewarded. I pushed him off and snapped “NO!” He sat on a post after that, and refused to look in my direction.

I think if you take a group tour and remain in the vehicle for any monkey stops you will be fine. Or take a taxi tour and tell the driver that you definitely don’t want to interact with the monkeys. But watch your tour companions. I’ve seen film clips where people dangle food over a friend’s head, trying to get a monkey to jump up and surprise the friend. I’d be getting new friends after that.

People do get scratched or bitten accasionally, so I completely understand your caution.

Anyone know if the monkeys could be rabid?

Do the ships' Infirmaries stock anti rabies shots?? Just in case Yikes